A reciprocal challenge from a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 04:57 AM
A reciprocal challenge from a theist.
I keep hounding my Theist m8 to learn science facts.
Well more like me bashing facts over his head.
He thought NASA vacuum chambers on earth were zero gravity also FFS

He surprisingly challenged me to read out loud a prayer

"Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that you took the pain of the cross to give me new life. I ask you to come into my life and to give me your peace and joy. I confess that I am a sinner -- that I have gone my own way and have done wrong. Please forgive me for my sins. I receive you now as my Lord and Savior. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow you and to serve you all my life. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen."

The crazed look of rapture on his face when I had finished was priceless, he truly thought that I would jump on the jebus train after I read that out loud.
Then I felt bad for him, like he failed god by not converting me.
So what challenges have your theist friends put to you. ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: A reciprocal challenge from a theist.
I felt stupid reading that prayer.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
29-11-2013, 07:28 AM
(29-11-2013 04:57 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow you and to serve you all my life. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen."

What you may be overlooking is that your friend may actually be having some real subjective experience. He may be feeling the "Holy Spirit" and that is what his faith is based upon. If that is the case then no amount of science education will move him. You may have more success by addressing the content of his subjective experience rather than his knowledge of evolution and such.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2013, 07:43 AM
(29-11-2013 04:57 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I keep hounding my Theist m8 to learn science facts.
Well more like me bashing facts over his head.
He thought NASA vacuum chambers on earth were zero gravity also FFS

He surprisingly challenged me to read out loud a prayer

"Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that you took the pain of the cross to give me new life. I ask you to come into my life and to give me your peace and joy. I confess that I am a sinner -- that I have gone my own way and have done wrong. Please forgive me for my sins. I receive you now as my Lord and Savior. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow you and to serve you all my life. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen."

The crazed look of rapture on his face when I had finished was priceless, he truly thought that I would jump on the jebus train after I read that out loud.
Then I felt bad for him, like he failed god by not converting me.
So what challenges have your theist friends put to you. ?

This is where I would talk about my interactions with my theist friends.

If I had any!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-11-2013, 07:58 AM
(29-11-2013 07:43 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  [quote='sporehux' pid='429895' dateline='1385722633']

This is where I would talk about my interactions with my theist friends.
If I had any!
I'm pretty sure I'm not trying hard to convert them, arguing with theists can be fun messing with their bible ignorance. Compared to Atheist argument's which are nonstop trips to wikipedia for time dilation parodox theory supplementals.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
02-12-2013, 11:32 AM
(29-11-2013 07:28 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 04:57 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow you and to serve you all my life. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen."

What you may be overlooking is that your friend may actually be having some real subjective experience. He may be feeling the "Holy Spirit" and that is what his faith is based upon. If that is the case then no amount of science education will move him. You may have more success by addressing the content of his subjective experience rather than his knowledge of evolution and such.

Heck, I got that reading it just now, and I haven't believed in three years or more. For me, it's a trained response. I taught myself to feel God when I prayed because it made me feel good and feel like the belief was justified. The catch is, I had to ignore all the other times in my life that I got that exact same feeling.

So, yeah, chances are, he feels that dopamine (or endorphins or whatever) and assumes it's the Holy Spirit. My wife claims she knows God exists because she can feel him.
07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
(02-12-2013 11:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 07:28 AM)Chippy Wrote:  What you may be overlooking is that your friend may actually be having some real subjective experience. He may be feeling the "Holy Spirit" and that is what his faith is based upon. If that is the case then no amount of science education will move him. You may have more success by addressing the content of his subjective experience rather than his knowledge of evolution and such.

Heck, I got that reading it just now, and I haven't believed in three years or more. For me, it's a trained response. I taught myself to feel God when I prayed because it made me feel good and feel like the belief was justified. The catch is, I had to ignore all the other times in my life that I got that exact same feeling.

So, yeah, chances are, he feels that dopamine (or endorphins or whatever) and assumes it's the Holy Spirit. My wife claims she knows God exists because she can feel him.

how does your wife "feel" him? Is he giving her the occasional flick to the bean? Angel

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
07-12-2013, 03:33 PM
(02-12-2013 11:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 07:28 AM)Chippy Wrote:  What you may be overlooking is that your friend may actually be having some real subjective experience. He may be feeling the "Holy Spirit" and that is what his faith is based upon. If that is the case then no amount of science education will move him. You may have more success by addressing the content of his subjective experience rather than his knowledge of evolution and such.

So, it's kind of like a self hypnosis thing - a post hypnotic response to feel really good? Consider That makes sense. It's very easy to see how that's exploited by within cults. But of course... there's also that "personal relationship" exploitation... it's like self abuse.

Screw that, I'd rather masturbate. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-12-2013, 09:09 PM
(07-12-2013 03:00 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  how does your wife "feel" him? Is he giving her the occasional flick to the bean? Angel

He'd fucking better not be! Angry

(07-12-2013 03:33 PM)kim Wrote:  So, it's kind of like a self hypnosis thing - a post hypnotic response to feel really good? Consider That makes sense. It's very easy to see how that's exploited by within cults. But of course... there's also that "personal relationship" exploitation... it's like self abuse.

Basically. It's really weird, looking back on it, but it is what it is.

(07-12-2013 03:33 PM)kim Wrote:  Screw that, I'd rather masturbate. Drinking Beverage

Yeah, that is a lot more fun.
09-12-2013, 05:43 AM
I think it's probably closer to a Pavlovian response than a post- or self-hypnotic one. You get trained to feel good by being praised for prayer and accepted with the group, then you remove the praise and just have prayer leading to feeling. *Briefly imagines the early life of a child with kidney/bladder problems who grows up having prayer make them have to go pee*