A religion telling monks to learn science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 01:22 PM by The Doctor.)
A religion telling monks to learn science?
Some of you may like this.

The Dalai Lama is sending Monks and nuns to college to learn science.
Quote:ATLANTA (AP) - Munching on pizza. Posting on Facebook. Hanging out with friends on weekends.
Some of the newest students at Emory University's student body may act like typical college kids, but there's a key difference: They're Tibetan monks sent by the Dalai Lama to the United States to learn science.
Wearing the traditional crimson robes and closely shorn heads of Tibetan monastics, the six men - most in their 30s - are taking physics, biology and chemistry classes with hopes of returning to Tibetan monasteries in India to teach science to other monks and nuns.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101230/D9KE4JHG0.html

That is a small sample of the article.
The Buddha Wrote:All my followers shouldn't accept my teachers out of faith, but out of constant investigation.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM

RE: A religion telling monks to learn science?
See, right here is why the Dalai Lama is awesome. It's definitely refreshing to see a spiritual leader asking his followers to expand their minds instead of only listening to him.
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Most scientists of the Renaissance where actually very religious. The could not have been schooled otherwise. Its not until Darwin that the scientific method started to collide with religion.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't think any Buddhist believes contradict science though innit?
I know some of the higher monks have done some stuff that has made people think "hang on wtf" but I don't think they deny stuff thats been proven? Maybe I'm getting an older view xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Buddhists are the most level headed as far as religion goes, but they are more pantheistic, which could explain why.
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I have never heard of a case where Buddists have started a war or engaged in bigotry or any of the other nasty things most religions do.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-01-2011, 03:44 AM
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~stroble/BUDDWAR.HTM

I suggest you check that one out No J. It's just that we are less familiar with the history of eastern religions. They don't vary much from region to region. We just have to do more digging.
03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
(02-01-2011 02:54 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Its not until Darwin that the scientific method started to collide with religion.

Not true. Science started to collide with religion with Copernicus. Just ask Galileo and Giordano Bruno.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost