A religious experience.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2011, 06:42 AM
A religious experience.
So i went to a bar the other night with an Australian friend, we went to see some
amatuer bands play but sadly due to the holidays no one was there.
So on the first round of tasty beer we started talking religion and politics knowing
that he himself was an atheist/agnostic i felt comfortable enough to come out to him as an atheist.
The moment i said that he said "i suspected you were, because of that news article you read on Hitchens on facebook",
Yahoo news on facebook which reports every article you read to everyone,
i realised it back when i read the article and deleted the app.
Nevertheless, I started talking to him about how crappy islam is and how ive been struggling with it for a few years,
i also told him that i admired australia very much because of its securalism, we then drank a toast to the great Flying Spaghetti Monster and Christopher Hitchens.

When we were will into our 3rd round and a shot a vodka a friend of him came and joined us from Nicaragua.
Naturally the debate about politics and religion restarted but we talked a bit more about how the universe is so large and wonderful
and about how petty politics on Earth are and the struggles between nations. Here we were, three people from different sides of the
globe and we all lifted our beers up in agreement and smashed them together shouting "To the world!".

The Nicaraguan fellow described his faith as not part of any organised religion, but from what i understood he believed that
Abriham and other biblical characters had some wisdom(normal wisdom not divine) to pass down to us, he asked me what do you believe in,
and i replied with the highest of drunken poise and elequence i could muster up and said "When i help another human being and Enjoy the one
life i have with all of its mysteries and knowlage to be had, that is all the spirituality i need".
he extended his hand and we did a soul hand shake, he called me brother and our Australian friend said
"that is just the most beautiful thing i have ever seen, two people from the opposite sides of the world agreeing like that".
We drank some more and i put forth what in my oppinion was a very good piece of drunken wisdom
"We are all the new young generation, and we shouldnt inherit the petty disagreements and outdated idiologies of the old farts. We're all citizens of the world."
And then the night ended, for me at least, as i rested my head on the table for an hour,
I woke up to the bartender asking me if i was ok, and they told him yeah hes just sleeping, hes new to drinking.
We moved our talk onto different subjects which i cant remember and we all got up and went to our respective homes.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Jackrabbit's post
30-12-2011, 08:42 AM
RE: A religious experience.
(30-12-2011 06:42 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  So i went to a bar the other night with an Australian friend, we went to see some
amatuer bands play but sadly due to the holidays no one was there.
So on the first round of tasty beer we started talking religion and politics knowing
that he himself was an atheist/agnostic i felt comfortable enough to come out to him as an atheist.
The moment i said that he said "i suspected you were, because of that news article you read on Hitchens on facebook",
Yahoo news on facebook which reports every article you read to everyone,
i realised it back when i read the article and deleted the app.
Nevertheless, I started talking to him about how crappy islam is and how ive been struggling with it for a few years,
i also told him that i admired australia very much because of its securalism, we then drank a toast to the great Flying Spaghetti Monster and Christopher Hitchens.

When we were will into our 3rd round and a shot a vodka a friend of him came and joined us from Nicaragua.
Naturally the debate about politics and religion restarted but we talked a bit more about how the universe is so large and wonderful
and about how petty politics on Earth are and the struggles between nations. Here we were, three people from different sides of the
globe and we all lifted our beers up in agreement and smashed them together shouting "To the world!".

The Nicaraguan fellow described his faith as not part of any organised religion, but from what i understood he believed that
Abriham and other biblical characters had some wisdom(normal wisdom not divine) to pass down to us, he asked me what do you believe in,
and i replied with the highest of drunken poise and elequence i could muster up and said "When i help another human being and Enjoy the one
life i have with all of its mysteries and knowlage to be had, that is all the spirituality i need".
he extended his hand and we did a soul hand shake, he called me brother and our Australian friend said
"that is just the most beautiful thing i have ever seen, two people from the opposite sides of the world agreeing like that".
We drank some more and i put forth what in my oppinion was a very good piece of drunken wisdom
"We are all the new young generation, and we shouldnt inherit the petty disagreements and outdated idiologies of the old farts. We're all citizens of the world."
And then the night ended, for me at least, as i rested my head on the table for an hour,
I woke up to the bartender asking me if i was ok, and they told him yeah hes just sleeping, hes new to drinking.
We moved our talk onto different subjects which i cant remember and we all got up and went to our respective homes.

That's a hopeful note to end the year on. Thank you for sharing your experience--and Happy New Year!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
30-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Well done. I do wish I had more friends I could talk to about the state of the world over a nice beer. Tonight is World of Beer night though. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
30-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Beer seems to be the one thing that brings people together because no matter who you are you can still get completely wasted just the same.
[+] 3 users Like Kaos MD's post
30-12-2011, 03:27 PM
What an inspiring experience! It's the kind of exuberance I'm going to try & carry with me through the coming year.
CHEERS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I still can't believe that I was programmed by my religion to be an enemy to you all, both in the mindset that you used to be and in the positions you hold right now. Thank you, Jackrabbit, for sharing a nice moment with us. I will certainly drink to our (relatively) newly found peace.

And Jack, feel free to enjoy alcohol for now because you certainly are right to celebrate. But please keep in mind that at some point (preferably soon) you will need to learn to turn the juice a little lower. That stuff is addictive and it will kill you otherwise. It destroyed a lot of people's lives, including members of my family, smart people, nice people. I would hate to see you slide down that path. When you fall asleep on the table it means that you've already been knocking on the alcohol poisoning door for a while.

When you go over your body's limit, it becomes unable to metabolize alcohol correctly and you get a big dose of toxic by-products. The hangover is a typical symptom of poisoning and it irreversibly damages your body. Damage yourself often enough and you will *only* produce toxins when you drink. Drinking alcohol would be like drinking poison and you'll be addicted to it too. I saw it happening and it's heartbreaking. Don't do it to yourself. Moderation is the key. Use this celebration to learn your limits and don't cross them too often.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 4 users Like Malleus's post
31-12-2011, 09:02 AM
i agree Malleus, moderation is key and i know all too well the dangers of alchoholism.
thanks for the warning and explaination i appreciate it.
I cant believe my culture and parents programmed me to hate people who are just different for no other reasons.
We're all citizens of the world and we inherited our bigotry and pejudices from our old farts, ill gladly share a beer with anyone of any nationality, sexual preference, religion or skin color
even an israeli person (see the long history of Egypt vs. Israel) and even give them a hug.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post