A reminder that atheists can be jerkoffs too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 12:29 PM
A reminder that atheists can be jerkoffs too
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ing-names/

Fucking ridiculous (I also saw Matt Dilahunty talking about it on his Facebook page).

Atheist and skeptic are labels that I proudly use to describe myself, but they are ultimately not the source of my sense of morality, ethics, manners, compassion, etc. They simply describe a rejection of the assertion that a god exists and a critical thinking skill that is one of the foundations of the scientific method of inquiry.

I learned a while back that your belief or lack thereof in a deity has little do with what kind of person you are and how you behave towards others and yourself. This just helps drive the point home for me.

Like my buddhist buddy posted on his Google+ profile yesterday, you cannot think your way to right actions. You must act your way to right thinking.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like lightninlives's post
23-05-2012, 12:30 PM
RE: A reminder that atheists can be jerkoffs too
Darn. I thought you were going to say something about Ghost here. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
23-05-2012, 01:54 PM
OK, looks like nobody who knows tells any names yet. I'll have to wait for a couple of months for some big scandal headlines that'll make it overseas. I'm really curious if I know any of these names. Likely not, unless they're something like the Four Horsemen or famous Youtubers. But if I do know the names, man, that will be something. I really like how this is compared to church scandals and their coverup. Let's show them we're better!

OTOH, I can understand how interesting it may be to visit such a conference mainly to meet women. Clearly, there are not many chances to meet interesting, thoughtful women because there aren't many events for them to gather. I'm all for female emancipation, although I wage war in my mind on how much of this is nature vs. nurture. The gender roles are set, women sing and dance, men play the music and compose it from behind a complicated electronic machinery.

I thought about prevention, about how and why do such incidents of women abuse happen. But nope, I can not ask a coherent question without telling how much more often I need to go out. I suppose it just happens, everyone knows that.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
23-05-2012, 01:56 PM
What happened to Rebecca Watson?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-05-2012, 02:17 PM
(23-05-2012 12:29 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ing-names/

Fucking ridiculous (I also saw Matt Dilahunty talking about it on his Facebook page).

Atheist and skeptic are labels that I proudly use to describe myself, but they are ultimately not the source of my sense of morality, ethics, manners, compassion, etc. They simply describe a rejection of the assertion that a god exists and a critical thinking skill that is one of the foundations of the scientific method of inquiry.

I learned a while back that your belief or lack thereof in a deity has little do with what kind of person you are and how you behave towards others and yourself. This just helps drive the point home for me.

Like my buddhist buddy posted on his Google+ profile yesterday, you cannot think your way to right actions. You must act your way to right thinking.
Who specifically is doing this? Yeah, I can believe we've a few douchebags in our midsts, but what group doesn't? If the promoters aren't doing anything about this stuff they should be ashamed of themselves.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-05-2012, 02:20 PM
So no one is releasing the name of the individual in question or is this multiple individuals?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
23-05-2012, 02:22 PM
People always seem surprised for some reason. The theists seem to think we're all evil clown faced baby killers with sodomy perpetually on the mind, and fellow atheists sometimes seem to be under the impression that we are amazing creatures covered in unicorn skin with golden locks of hair and giants dongs for arms. While this is true for me, the majority of the atheist community is normal.

I'm a little irritated by the lack of info on this subject. I don't expect names to be named, but when talking about specific incidents and not just generalized topics, it's important for us to determine what is being considered inappropriate. I don't doubt the claims of harassment whatsoever. Both guys and gals can be douchebags of the highest caliber, I just feel it's important to know what is being dealt with.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
23-05-2012, 03:23 PM
What happens when you have ass holes that continually attend certain group's meetings is that those who are unfamiliar with your group are more susceptible to other contentions that the entire group is like that. We all have to cover our asses and set an example of how we want to be known as.
23-05-2012, 04:11 PM
We're all people, after all; whether we're religious or non-religious we have the capacity to be awesome and we also have the capacity to be total dicks.

"Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad.

But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue."
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ockhams_razorboy's post
23-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Oh trust me I know just how bad atheists can be. I mean it's not like I've become a personal target for half of the people on this website because I'm promoting some rather controversial ideas. Angel No everyone on this website is so understanding and I wanted to thank them all so much!