A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 11:07 AM
A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.
Greetings and salutations.
Been doing the youtube thing awhile, but, up to this point, it's just been comedy and random goofing around. And then, a few months ago, I stumbled across TTA podcast, and from there, I added several new podcasts to my subscribe list.
Anyway, I am trying something I have not done before, and have started a new series on the Satanic Panic era of recent U.S. History. The West Memphis Three, The assault on music and children's media, and so much more. Most of you either lived it, or have probably heard Seth's podcast about it, which I cite in the description as part of the research material, and when I finish the series, I plan to identify this podcast by name, in the final video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSieKWoCMfU
Point is, I would like to ask the community for 'war stories' of people who lived in/grew up in areas affected by this wave of fundamentalist hysteria. Funny stories. Unsettling stories. Stories that hopefully remain in the realm of pg-13 to light R, please, I really don't want to go into any really messed up stuff in the video. I will be including an experience of my own, of course, involving a teacher who was also a preacher's wife, but, I really am hoping to get a few good stories from other people who endured this madness, as extra examples will help hammer home the ramifications of the fearmongering they did back then.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.
I lived through those years, and I honestly don't remember any "panic". There were a few politicians and preachers complaining about rock music lyrics, there was some backlash by musicians (including such non-Satanists as Neil Young and Frank Zappa), but basically it was a tempest in a teapot. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post.

There was more "Satanic panic" in the early 1970s when "The Exorcist" came out.
10-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I remember the music panic pretty vividly, Judas Priest got sued by parents whose kid committed suicide, music played backward sent satanic messages, etc. I remember Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister just embarrassing the politicians during one of the hearings because they expected him to be an idiot. It was Tipper Gore that led the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC), which ultimately led to the labeling of record covers of releases featuring profane language and suggestive themes, especially in the heavy metal, punk and hip hop genres.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
10-12-2015, 01:20 PM
(10-12-2015 01:12 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I remember the music panic pretty vividly, Judas Priest got sued by parents whose kid committed suicide, music played backward sent satanic messages, etc. I remember Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister just embarrassing the politicians during one of the hearings because they expected him to be an idiot. It was Tipper Gore that led the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC), which ultimately led to the labeling of record covers of releases featuring profane language and suggestive themes, especially in the heavy metal, punk and hip hop genres.

Frank Zappa too. I recall him being asked about age suggestions on games or toys and he retorted, "who are you to tell me how intelligent my children are?" They tried to backpedal a bit by remarking about a choking hazard and infants -- he replied something like that now they were questioning his intelligence as a parent.

I loved that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-12-2015, 03:23 AM
I just knew some people who were questioned heavily about having their DnD events in the school. They weren't happy with them having to bring in their goat blood for their sacrifices to play the game. That satanic worship of roll playing games shouldn't be allowed to just go unchecked you know. So you have to judge it without knowing what the thing is at all.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Dennis Miller nailed this topic when he said something to the effect of "if anything Gene Simmons has to say causes your kid to do drugs or kill yourself, then you're not doing your job as a fucking parent".

I grew up in the 80s too and this whole thing was a bunch of bullshit, greatly exaggerated by the PMRC bullshit. There was no "satanic panic" in the 80s. There was a bunch of concern over rock lyrics and how kids could buy music that was basically "R" rated and this whole PMRC thing really came down to that. I guess if we can limit who can see what movie by age, we can limit who can buy what music the same way, and that's what happened. It was all done in the name of "decency" and protecting our children!! Maybe there is something to it, I don't know. I grew up listening to the classic rock of the 60s and 70s as well as the heavy metal of the 70s and 80s and I never turned to drugs, rape, etc. I had a good upbringing and was taught right from wrong. No amount of music lyrics was going to undue my parents influence.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2015, 03:34 PM
I don't recall hearing the words 'Satanic panic' until I heard about it on Seth's podcast, and others. Perhaps it is because I was already so removed from religious stuff when that was a thing.

I do remember all the BS about backward masking but don't recall hearing the term 'Satanic Panic'. Perhaps I was that tuned out when it came to such shit.

I was a teen in the 70s. I listened to some pretty harsh music. And I read the Satanic Bible around 1980 just because I was curious. So far I haven't killed anyone, sacrificed any animals, or sold my soul to Satan. And I don't think I know anyone in real life who did anything bad because of the music they listened to.

The only thing I remember music doing, as far as influencing my actions, was making me want to dance, sing, or have sex. Oh yeah...those things are probably on the naughty list. Consider

Evil_monster

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
13-12-2015, 03:42 PM
I had to watch "Hell's Bells - The Dangers of Rock 'n' Roll" in school along with the Geraldo Rivera's "Exposing Satan's Underground" report in school.

This was at a Christian school, and they actually got everyone in high school and middle school together in the gym to watch these. Along with some followup discussion from "experts." Facepalm

My parents also found my secret DnD stash and threw it away. Weeping

Fortunately, they didn't realize that Forgotten Realms was basically the same thing, so I still got my fantasy fix. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
13-12-2015, 05:07 PM
(13-12-2015 03:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  My parents also found my secret DnD stash and threw it away. Weeping

Dungeons and Dragons? Or Dominance and Discipline?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2015, 05:19 PM
(13-12-2015 05:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 03:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  My parents also found my secret DnD stash and threw it away. Weeping

Dungeons and Dragons? Or Dominance and Discipline?

Dungeons and Dragons Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson