A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 10:16 PM
RE: A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.
Just checking.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 09:56 PM
We had some guy come to our church playing records backwards and revealing the Satanic messages in them. Pretty stupid stuff.

However, I played a bit of a bigger role than most. I liked hiking around the outskirts of the small rural town I lived in.
One day I stumbled upon a farmer's field with an old tin shed on it, I found the remains of a cow skull in there and a few items that seemed to have been placed as opposed to randomly scattered about the shed.

So a few days later I mentioned this to the assistant pastor at our church. His interest was piqued when I described it, he followed me out there a couple of days later. I can't say anything really stood out to me about the place, but the pastor saw ritually placed skulls, a place under a large tree by this shed where they could have parked their vehicles for their rituals.

I'll be damned if that pastor didn't go to to the local news station and take reporters out there to see. It was on the evening news a few days later.

Thinking back on it, it didn't seem like much of anything, I think this pastor was just letting his imagination run wild. The news reporters ate it up, why not?
The Satanic Panic was in full swing, this was in Oklahoma and in the buckle of the bible belt where people believed Satanists were up to scary things in our midst. The truth must be told. Hahaha! Idiots!
Anyway, I suppose I played more of a part in this insanity than I really intended, this whole business was similar to the Salem witch trials, except the loons couldn't execute anyone they thought was "of the devil".

We're not as far away from that insanity as we might think though. There are areas of this country where the pitchforks are sitting there by the entryways in the barns, ready to be brandished if needed.....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Never heard of this panic, but then I didn't get out much. I do remember the story of the trial where Judas Priest was blamed for some guy killing himself, and his friend shooting but not quite killing himself, then dying later. Rob Halford said something to the effect that if he had a subliminal message in a song it would be telling people "to buy more records".
15-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-12-2015, 06:28 PM
A request for anecdotes from those who endured the 80s/90s Satanic Panic.
I vaguely remember something about some kid who committed suicide while listening to Black Sabbath.
15-12-2015, 07:25 PM
(15-12-2015 06:28 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I vaguely remember something about some kid who committed suicide while listening to Black Sabbath.

Damn. Was the record that horrible?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Depends on who you ask, but I personally don't care for the Sabotage album.
20-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Judas Priest was actually sued because some of their fans committed suicide. When I get a chance I'll do a search for some links.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Well this song was made in reaction against the Judas Priest suit & Ozzy/Other metal bashing for suicides.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-12-2015, 06:57 AM
If listening to a song makes you want to kill yourself, go right the fuck ahead.....

Obviously we need to improve the gene pool, and if you're the sort who's going to fall apart at the first sign of trouble, we'll probably do better without your defects fouling up the water.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.