A rock is a rock.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2014, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 08:54 PM by Matrim Cauthon.)
A rock is a rock.
Simple response to a zealot questioning "why should I abandon the belief that comforts me, for a belief that offers me nothing?":

"A rock is a rock. Fire is hot. Space is cold. Oranges aren't good until they're ripe....

Truth is not defined by, nor has anything to do with 'comfort', nor the provision of comfort. Truth and fact are what they are, whether they give comfort or not."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Matrim Cauthon's post
14-09-2014, 09:08 PM
RE: A rock is a rock.
"The belief that comforts me...... "

My whole life has been spent trying to wrap my head around beliefs that flew in the face of every rational thought in my mind, then hoping and praying that I was doing it right so that I wouldn't be eternally punished for my ignorance. My comfort is the fact that I now know that all of those fears are based on bullshit.

It is only comfort if you remain a willful idiot with your head in the sand.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 7 users Like evenheathen's post
14-09-2014, 09:26 PM
We don't delete posts generally as a rule. If you want a thread moved you can pm a mod and they can move it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-09-2014, 07:02 AM
(14-09-2014 08:50 PM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  Simple response to a zealot questioning "why should I abandon the belief that comforts me, for a belief that offers me nothing?":

"A rock is a rock. Fire is hot. Space is cold. Oranges aren't good until they're ripe....

Truth is not defined by, nor has anything to do with 'comfort', nor the provision of comfort. Truth and fact are what they are, whether they give comfort or not."

This person thinks the real world is "nothing" and his fantasy world is something. Blurring the lines between reality and fantasy is the stock in trade of religion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
19-09-2014, 10:21 AM
(14-09-2014 08:50 PM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  Truth is not defined by, nor has anything to do with 'comfort', nor the provision of comfort. Truth and fact are what they are, whether they give comfort or not."

So... When faced with the truth of God, you can't deny his existence because you don't want to be obedient?

Truth seeker.
19-09-2014, 11:35 AM
(19-09-2014 10:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(14-09-2014 08:50 PM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  Truth is not defined by, nor has anything to do with 'comfort', nor the provision of comfort. Truth and fact are what they are, whether they give comfort or not."

So... When faced with the truth of God, you can't deny his existence because you don't want to be obedient?

Your statement has nothing to do with the statement to which you're replying. Your statement also doesn't make sense. When faced with the complete and utter lack of evidence for God's existence, I withhold belief. It has nothing to do with obedience.
19-09-2014, 11:46 AM
(19-09-2014 11:35 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 10:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  So... When faced with the truth of God, you can't deny his existence because you don't want to be obedient?

Your statement has nothing to do with the statement to which you're replying. Your statement also doesn't make sense. When faced with the complete and utter lack of evidence for God's existence, I withhold belief. It has nothing to do with obedience.

By asking for evidence of God, you're saying that you're superiour to God. Hint: You're not.

Truth seeker.
19-09-2014, 11:55 AM
(19-09-2014 11:46 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 11:35 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Your statement has nothing to do with the statement to which you're replying. Your statement also doesn't make sense. When faced with the complete and utter lack of evidence for God's existence, I withhold belief. It has nothing to do with obedience.

By asking for evidence of God, you're saying that you're superiour to God. Hint: You're not.

I'm not superior to Zeus or Krishna or Odin either. Nor are any of them superior to me. Superiority is a meaningless concept with respect to something that doesn't exist.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-09-2014, 11:58 AM
(19-09-2014 11:55 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 11:46 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  By asking for evidence of God, you're saying that you're superiour to God. Hint: You're not.

I'm not superior to Zeus or Krishna or Odin either. Nor are any of them superior to me. Superiority is a meaningless concept with respect to something that doesn't exist.

God does exist. Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
19-09-2014, 11:59 AM
(19-09-2014 11:46 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  By asking for evidence of God, you're saying that you're superiour to God. Hint: You're not.

Well, boo-hoo... all of humanity is inferior to a human construct. Break out the fucking violins.

Diddo has decided to stay trapped inside his/her mind for a really long time.
Actually, it will be inside someone else's mind.

That will be sad. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post