A sad skeptic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Sad A sad skeptic
Ok , so I know someone who is open minded about religion , they are great person but when we discuss politics - the shit hit s the fan.

Said person believes the americans are behind everything that is wrong in the world an that they and the UK are using the media to manipulate people.
I stated i only watch independent media supported by donations but since some are in the US that makes me uninformed and manipulated.

I asked for evidence but the accusation was repeated and I was told I am being controlled by the BBC - which I never watch incidentally.
I asked for evidence and the excuse given was they don't have time and that I should go back to being controlled.

I honestly take offense. I asked for evidence , i did NOT make the claims so the burden of proof does not fall on me. I feel sad because another potential skeptic seems to fail the test.

I feel so alone in the position I've taken for about a year now. I am a skeptic , and I am apparently alone ....

Any thoughts ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 06:48 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: A sad skeptic
Can you get along with him without talking about politics? If he starts down that political path again tell him you won't put up with that bullshit and that you expect to be treated fairly.

In my time on this planet I've found that you can't get everything you need from one person. Maybe there is a theist who can have rational discussions about politics.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I wonder if you friend is new to "conspiracy theorys"

My experience in this field is this.......I was shocked by the "potentials" I was witnessing.......a lot of it immediatly made sense to some degree and also seemed to give an answer to many problems society was facing.

I believed myself to be "brainwashed" by mainstream media (I still do to some degree) then later down the line (about a year or two) I made the realisation that whereas before I was putting my whole belief system into mainstream.....I was now in fact putting all of my beliefs into the "alternative" community........again I was exposing myself to another kind of "brain washing"

This is how I see conspiracy and dealing with it.

You are a detective, you know that something is going down yet you cant name it nor can you say who for definite is behind it.

You are aware af a possible agenda.......however you have no idea what its end goal is, so you seek evidence for this.......your evidence is from the internet and you have to scour through potentially millions of pieces of evidence to try to find out.........you have no idea wether these pieces of evidence are valid nor "true" so instead you make your own judgements and try to connect the dots yourself.

(potentially futile???)

Just because your friend is aware that he may be being "manipulated" doesnt actually free him from manipulation Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

(03-09-2011 09:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  you have no idea wether these pieces of evidence are valid nor "true"

bemore: we have discussed this in the "What is, and how to find, Truth" thread.
Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply - work has been crazy lately and my home internet connection is on par with smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

It's not that i expect everything from one person , it's just that it makes me sad to find an intelligent person . who is free of religious dogma and then be slapped in the face with ignorance when you bring up politics , medicine , or some other issues.
It's like a cow taking a dump into a bucket of milk you spent the last 20 mins filling up.

Now I don't want everyone t o agree with me - dog help me - that's a nightmare. I do want however people to be skeptical and think critically about things and call BS , especially my own.

18-09-2011, 04:07 AM
(02-09-2011 03:29 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Said person believes the americans are behind everything that is wrong in the world an that they and the UK are using the media to manipulate people.

Most people can accept responsibility for their own actions and agree that sometimes they get it wrong, but others cannot do so. They simply cannot admit to themselves that they possess mediocre talents and make mistakes. For this reason they will happily take on board any conspiracy theory which explains that their failures have nothing to with them; it is the Americans or the media who are causing all the problems. A fantastic escape clause for anyone with a fragile ego.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
18-09-2011, 03:42 PM
(02-09-2011 03:29 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Ok , so I know someone who is open minded about religion , they are great person but when we discuss politics - the shit hit s the fan.

Said person believes the americans are behind everything that is wrong in the world an that they and the UK are using the media to manipulate people.

I always about to say, ohh that is true....but then you gave the correct answer.

I stated i only watch independent media supported by donations but since some are in the US that makes me uninformed and manipulated.

So, idk. Some people are just prone to conspiracy theories.
I got a couple good friends, very smart, who thinks that 911 was an inside job. One is slightly religious, one is non-religious. One is a conservative, one is a liberal.

People just arent black and white.
20-09-2011, 06:54 PM
(18-09-2011 04:07 AM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  
(02-09-2011 03:29 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Said person believes the americans are behind everything that is wrong in the world an that they and the UK are using the media to manipulate people.

Most people can accept responsibility for their own actions and agree that sometimes they get it wrong, but others cannot do so. They simply cannot admit to themselves that they possess mediocre talents and make mistakes. For this reason they will happily take on board any conspiracy theory which explains that their failures have nothing to with them; it is the Americans or the media who are causing all the problems. A fantastic escape clause for anyone with a fragile ego.

You should make a T-shirt of that somehow - it speaks so clearly to what a conspiracy theory is. I used to buy the same crap when I was ignorant about the world around me and it was easy blaming one group that was unknown for everything - must be why religion invented satan.

22-09-2011, 01:02 PM
People who are this easily misled by obvious logical fallacy and lack of real evidence tend to simply be stupid. Don't bother with him.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]