A semi-lonely atheist has found this site.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2013, 04:05 PM
A semi-lonely atheist has found this site.
Hello TTA forums,

Prepare for a lengthy introduction because I tend to write how I think...which usually is more than I should. I will TRY to keep this short though..

First, let me clarify that I am not lonely as a person, but lonely as an atheist. I am quite happy with my friends and social life, but I have seldom been able to connect with anybody in my life regarding my atheism.

I am 26 now (male), and over the past 2 or 3 years I have been frequenting atheists sites searching for some sort of community of like-minded folk. I wrote a bit at atheistparents.org in 2011 (however, I'm not a parent), I regularly visit asktheatheist.com under a different name, and I spent at least half a year trying to connect with others at ex-christian.net (which was mostly successful, great people there, except I am not an ex-christian). And now I have stumbled upon the thinking atheist (actually through a girl I was talking to at ex-Christian.net.)

So here I am! And here is the shortest version of my story that I can think of at the moment. I am a lifelong atheist, and a lifelong skeptic. I honestly think this may have to do with video games, which I've been playing since I was 3. I always had a very real understanding of what was real, and what was fantasy (and I LOVE fantasy). When I learned the word atheist I instantly knew that was what I was. I thought the idea of a god made no more sense than the easter bunny, santa clause, or any of my children's books. They were just stories, not ever did I believe they were real, or possible.

My parents had made the best decision of their lives in not mentioning religion growing up. Which is funny because they both come from religious background. I think it was my mom's decision, who is an ex-catholic but current spiritual deist or pantheist (she doesn't label herself to my knowledge). She has briefly mentioned that growing up in catholic school, she was that annoying kid who would ask questions...that often went unanswered. I'm not close enough with my dad to know his religious background, but he has tried to get me to go to church enough times (only after I graduated college) to where I don't enjoy bringing up the subject around him.

And finally, my experience. I've gone through phases in my atheism. when I hit puberty and was overly emotional, I specifically remember feeling really really sorry for theists. I cried for them in the solitude of my room, thinking how sad it is that they live a life devoted to a lie. I still find it sad. From highschool until the end of college I became pretty apathetic about religion. Live and let live I thought. Most of my friends are casual religious people, and all of them know I have always been an atheist. We grew up together, never talking about religion, or atheism really. It just wasn't important. Near the end of college, due to a few events, I started leaning towards an anti-theist position. That is I am against religion (not against religious people). I think it is a scam, abuse, and a drug.

However I still know very few atheists. I've never been part of any groups or organizations before, and the concept interests me. I love to talk to other atheists just because I've always been kind of a 1% minority my whole life (ethnically, religiously, hobbies-wise). It's nice to be around those who are like me...in any way...because in my life it seems rare.

I'm not a huge "science" person, in that I don't particularly enjoy learning many subjects in depth (general reading is fine), nor do I use science when i debate theists. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of logic, and my career is based off of that.

And I'll just leave it at that. I could probably write a book if I really wanted to drag on about my own life, haha, so that's a very broad snapshot of my life in regards to atheism. I'd be happy to befriend any of you who are interested.

Also, anybody living in Washington especially near Seattle feel free to message me!

THANK YOU to anybody who made it through my wall of text. I really did try to keep it short. I promise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Adrianime's post
13-11-2013, 04:15 PM
RE: A semi-lonely atheist has found this site.
Welcome to the board!

I've played video games my whole life too, but considering that Pong was all I had to choose from when I was little, it's no surprise that I fell victim to religiosity - watching that little white dot bounce back and forth is hypnotic...

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
13-11-2013, 04:25 PM
(13-11-2013 04:15 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Welcome to the board!
I've played video games my whole life too, but considering that Pong was all I had to choose from when I was little, it's no surprise that I fell victim to religiosity - watching that little white dot bounce back and forth is hypnotic...
Haha, thank you Can 'o beans! I know I played NES a bunch from ages 3-4, but I don't really remember anything before the SNES. My first memorable video game experiences were Arcana, Final Fantasy II, and Zelda: Link To The Past. Basically epic adventures that put the bible story to shame Laughat. I can see how pong might put you into a highly influential state though.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
13-11-2013, 04:31 PM
That was an interesting read. Welcome to our community. Smile

Some of our users (including me) are on Skype, should you ever feel the need to chat with like-minded people.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the forum ! I liked read your story.
13-11-2013, 05:59 PM
(13-11-2013 04:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello TTA forums,

Prepare for a lengthy introduction because I tend to write how I think...which usually is more than I should. I will TRY to keep this short though..

First, let me clarify that I am not lonely as a person, but lonely as an atheist. I am quite happy with my friends and social life, but I have seldom been able to connect with anybody in my life regarding my atheism.

I am 26 now (male), and over the past 2 or 3 years I have been frequenting atheists sites searching for some sort of community of like-minded folk. I wrote a bit at atheistparents.org in 2011 (however, I'm not a parent), I regularly visit asktheatheist.com under a different name, and I spent at least half a year trying to connect with others at ex-christian.net (which was mostly successful, great people there, except I am not an ex-christian). And now I have stumbled upon the thinking atheist (actually through a girl I was talking to at ex-Christian.net.)

So here I am! And here is the shortest version of my story that I can think of at the moment. I am a lifelong atheist, and a lifelong skeptic. I honestly think this may have to do with video games, which I've been playing since I was 3. I always had a very real understanding of what was real, and what was fantasy (and I LOVE fantasy). When I learned the word atheist I instantly knew that was what I was. I thought the idea of a god made no more sense than the easter bunny, santa clause, or any of my children's books. They were just stories, not ever did I believe they were real, or possible.

My parents had made the best decision of their lives in not mentioning religion growing up. Which is funny because they both come from religious background. I think it was my mom's decision, who is an ex-catholic but current spiritual deist or pantheist (she doesn't label herself to my knowledge). She has briefly mentioned that growing up in catholic school, she was that annoying kid who would ask questions...that often went unanswered. I'm not close enough with my dad to know his religious background, but he has tried to get me to go to church enough times (only after I graduated college) to where I don't enjoy bringing up the subject around him.

And finally, my experience. I've gone through phases in my atheism. when I hit puberty and was overly emotional, I specifically remember feeling really really sorry for theists. I cried for them in the solitude of my room, thinking how sad it is that they live a life devoted to a lie. I still find it sad. From highschool until the end of college I became pretty apathetic about religion. Live and let live I thought. Most of my friends are casual religious people, and all of them know I have always been an atheist. We grew up together, never talking about religion, or atheism really. It just wasn't important. Near the end of college, due to a few events, I started leaning towards an anti-theist position. That is I am against religion (not against religious people). I think it is a scam, abuse, and a drug.

However I still know very few atheists. I've never been part of any groups or organizations before, and the concept interests me. I love to talk to other atheists just because I've always been kind of a 1% minority my whole life (ethnically, religiously, hobbies-wise). It's nice to be around those who are like me...in any way...because in my life it seems rare.

I'm not a huge "science" person, in that I don't particularly enjoy learning many subjects in depth (general reading is fine), nor do I use science when i debate theists. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of logic, and my career is based off of that.

And I'll just leave it at that. I could probably write a book if I really wanted to drag on about my own life, haha, so that's a very broad snapshot of my life in regards to atheism. I'd be happy to befriend any of you who are interested.

Also, anybody living in Washington especially near Seattle feel free to message me!

THANK YOU to anybody who made it through my wall of text. I really did try to keep it short. I promise.

Hey!

Like you on that parents forum, I'm on this forum yet I'm not an atheist.

Hope to see your thoughts around!
13-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Welcome! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Welcome! Good to have you. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-11-2013, 06:12 PM
(13-11-2013 05:59 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Like you on that parents forum, I'm on this forum yet I'm not an atheist.

Hope to see your thoughts around!
Hey there! yeah, I actually really enjoyed talking with Sarah on that forum in the hate mail and hell wishing section (I'm assuming that is what you are talking about.) It's always nice when a theist is open to learn about an atheist perspective and still feel free to express their perspective as well.Yes