A semi-lonely atheist has found this site.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: A semi-lonely atheist has found this site.
(13-11-2013 04:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That was an interesting read. Welcome to our community. Smile

Some of our users (including me) are on Skype, should you ever feel the need to chat with like-minded people.
Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind the Skype option. Although I'm not a huge Skyper, and beyond "textual" communication I strongly prefer face to face due to my imperfect hearing and huge desire to multitask while on the phone haha. But maybe someday!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2013, 06:40 PM
(13-11-2013 04:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello TTA forums,

Prepare for a lengthy introduction because I tend to write how I think...which usually is more than I should. I will TRY to keep this short though..

First, let me clarify that I am not lonely as a person, but lonely as an atheist. I am quite happy with my friends and social life, but I have seldom been able to connect with anybody in my life regarding my atheism.

I am 26 now (male), and over the past 2 or 3 years I have been frequenting atheists sites searching for some sort of community of like-minded folk. I wrote a bit at atheistparents.org in 2011 (however, I'm not a parent), I regularly visit asktheatheist.com under a different name, and I spent at least half a year trying to connect with others at ex-christian.net (which was mostly successful, great people there, except I am not an ex-christian). And now I have stumbled upon the thinking atheist (actually through a girl I was talking to at ex-Christian.net.)

So here I am! And here is the shortest version of my story that I can think of at the moment. I am a lifelong atheist, and a lifelong skeptic. I honestly think this may have to do with video games, which I've been playing since I was 3. I always had a very real understanding of what was real, and what was fantasy (and I LOVE fantasy). When I learned the word atheist I instantly knew that was what I was. I thought the idea of a god made no more sense than the easter bunny, santa clause, or any of my children's books. They were just stories, not ever did I believe they were real, or possible.

My parents had made the best decision of their lives in not mentioning religion growing up. Which is funny because they both come from religious background. I think it was my mom's decision, who is an ex-catholic but current spiritual deist or pantheist (she doesn't label herself to my knowledge). She has briefly mentioned that growing up in catholic school, she was that annoying kid who would ask questions...that often went unanswered. I'm not close enough with my dad to know his religious background, but he has tried to get me to go to church enough times (only after I graduated college) to where I don't enjoy bringing up the subject around him.

And finally, my experience. I've gone through phases in my atheism. when I hit puberty and was overly emotional, I specifically remember feeling really really sorry for theists. I cried for them in the solitude of my room, thinking how sad it is that they live a life devoted to a lie. I still find it sad. From highschool until the end of college I became pretty apathetic about religion. Live and let live I thought. Most of my friends are casual religious people, and all of them know I have always been an atheist. We grew up together, never talking about religion, or atheism really. It just wasn't important. Near the end of college, due to a few events, I started leaning towards an anti-theist position. That is I am against religion (not against religious people). I think it is a scam, abuse, and a drug.

However I still know very few atheists. I've never been part of any groups or organizations before, and the concept interests me. I love to talk to other atheists just because I've always been kind of a 1% minority my whole life (ethnically, religiously, hobbies-wise). It's nice to be around those who are like me...in any way...because in my life it seems rare.

I'm not a huge "science" person, in that I don't particularly enjoy learning many subjects in depth (general reading is fine), nor do I use science when i debate theists. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of logic, and my career is based off of that.

And I'll just leave it at that. I could probably write a book if I really wanted to drag on about my own life, haha, so that's a very broad snapshot of my life in regards to atheism. I'd be happy to befriend any of you who are interested.

Also, anybody living in Washington especially near Seattle feel free to message me!

THANK YOU to anybody who made it through my wall of text. I really did try to keep it short. I promise.

Hi!

I enjoyed your post. I don't really consider this a "wall of text." In my opinion, a wall would be someone who didn't uses much punctuation and didn't separate into paragraphs. And they rambled in no coherent manner whatsoever. But I'm a lover of words and personal anecdotes of all kinds Drinking Beverage

Anyway, welcome to this wonderful community of godless, mostly happy individuals. I think you'll enjoy your stay. There's also plenty of irreverent banter to go around. (And logical solutions to any personal issues when one needs some encouraging words.)

And I also want to say that I could relate to so many instances in your story. I think I am going to enjoy talking with you.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
14-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Greetings! Hope to see ya' round.

14-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Hey! My reading speed is atrocious, but your introduction was very interesting, I had no trouble getting through your "wall of text", knowing there was a person behind it. Welcome.

I envy you, being a life-long atheist. I spent 25 years lost in religious thinking. Now I look back and think about all the things that I could have spent that time learning about, and am trying to make up for lost time. Congratulations on being a life-long atheist and being able to see reality for what it is from the onset.

As far as communities go, this is a great landing spot, also there is the Dogma Debate "4th listener" community (although it's a paid subscription), there is also the Atheist Nexus, which you might like, it's like a social network for atheists. Also, you could look on meetup.com if you want to get involved with a local atheist community or even start one. Hope that helps.

Either way, welcome!
14-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-11-2013, 09:03 AM
(13-11-2013 04:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello TTA forums,

Prepare for a lengthy introduction because I tend to write how I think...which usually is more than I should. I will TRY to keep this short though..

First, let me clarify that I am not lonely as a person, but lonely as an atheist. I am quite happy with my friends and social life, but I have seldom been able to connect with anybody in my life regarding my atheism.

I am 26 now (male), and over the past 2 or 3 years I have been frequenting atheists sites searching for some sort of community of like-minded folk. I wrote a bit at atheistparents.org in 2011 (however, I'm not a parent), I regularly visit asktheatheist.com under a different name, and I spent at least half a year trying to connect with others at ex-christian.net (which was mostly successful, great people there, except I am not an ex-christian). And now I have stumbled upon the thinking atheist (actually through a girl I was talking to at ex-Christian.net.)

So here I am! And here is the shortest version of my story that I can think of at the moment. I am a lifelong atheist, and a lifelong skeptic. I honestly think this may have to do with video games, which I've been playing since I was 3. I always had a very real understanding of what was real, and what was fantasy (and I LOVE fantasy). When I learned the word atheist I instantly knew that was what I was. I thought the idea of a god made no more sense than the easter bunny, santa clause, or any of my children's books. They were just stories, not ever did I believe they were real, or possible.

My parents had made the best decision of their lives in not mentioning religion growing up. Which is funny because they both come from religious background. I think it was my mom's decision, who is an ex-catholic but current spiritual deist or pantheist (she doesn't label herself to my knowledge). She has briefly mentioned that growing up in catholic school, she was that annoying kid who would ask questions...that often went unanswered. I'm not close enough with my dad to know his religious background, but he has tried to get me to go to church enough times (only after I graduated college) to where I don't enjoy bringing up the subject around him.

And finally, my experience. I've gone through phases in my atheism. when I hit puberty and was overly emotional, I specifically remember feeling really really sorry for theists. I cried for them in the solitude of my room, thinking how sad it is that they live a life devoted to a lie. I still find it sad. From highschool until the end of college I became pretty apathetic about religion. Live and let live I thought. Most of my friends are casual religious people, and all of them know I have always been an atheist. We grew up together, never talking about religion, or atheism really. It just wasn't important. Near the end of college, due to a few events, I started leaning towards an anti-theist position. That is I am against religion (not against religious people). I think it is a scam, abuse, and a drug.

However I still know very few atheists. I've never been part of any groups or organizations before, and the concept interests me. I love to talk to other atheists just because I've always been kind of a 1% minority my whole life (ethnically, religiously, hobbies-wise). It's nice to be around those who are like me...in any way...because in my life it seems rare.

I'm not a huge "science" person, in that I don't particularly enjoy learning many subjects in depth (general reading is fine), nor do I use science when i debate theists. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of logic, and my career is based off of that.

And I'll just leave it at that. I could probably write a book if I really wanted to drag on about my own life, haha, so that's a very broad snapshot of my life in regards to atheism. I'd be happy to befriend any of you who are interested.

Also, anybody living in Washington especially near Seattle feel free to message me!

THANK YOU to anybody who made it through my wall of text. I really did try to keep it short. I promise.

Welcome sir...Welcome!
I do enjoy it very much when youth adds its vigor to this site...I truly do!
Being that I am much closer to the end than the beginning - if death comes naturally instead of by bus!
Since you like logic, you might try Daniel C. Dennett's book "Intuition Pumps". I tried to get through it and failed. If you do read it, perhaps you could help me to understand it!
But enjoy this place, it's lots of fun....mostly!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
14-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for the greeting!

(13-11-2013 06:40 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Hi!

I enjoyed your post. I don't really consider this a "wall of text." In my opinion, a wall would be someone who didn't uses much punctuation and didn't separate into paragraphs. And they rambled in no coherent manner whatsoever. But I'm a lover of words and personal anecdotes of all kinds Drinking Beverage

Anyway, welcome to this wonderful community of godless, mostly happy individuals. I think you'll enjoy your stay. There's also plenty of irreverent banter to go around. (And logical solutions to any personal issues when one needs some encouraging words.)

And I also want to say that I could relate to so many instances in your story. I think I am going to enjoy talking with you.

Hello peanut, Thank you for the warm greeting! I'm glad my introduction held your attention, I kept reminding myself that sometimes brevity is the best way to communicate. I saw that you wrote in my Santa thread and your reply was very interesting. What instances could you relate to in my story? Feel free to respond here or message me!

(14-11-2013 12:58 AM)parsonf Wrote:  Hey! My reading speed is atrocious, but your introduction was very interesting, I had no trouble getting through your "wall of text", knowing there was a person behind it. Welcome.

I envy you, being a life-long atheist. I spent 25 years lost in religious thinking. Now I look back and think about all the things that I could have spent that time learning about, and am trying to make up for lost time. Congratulations on being a life-long atheist and being able to see reality for what it is from the onset.

As far as communities go, this is a great landing spot, also there is the Dogma Debate "4th listener" community (although it's a paid subscription), there is also the Atheist Nexus, which you might like, it's like a social network for atheists. Also, you could look on meetup.com if you want to get involved with a local atheist community or even start one. Hope that helps.

Either way, welcome!

Hi parsonf. Hey, most people get pulled into religion, what's impressive is breaking out of it. Thanks for the recommendations. The atheistnexus sounds interesting, I might check it out some day. Locally I'm thinking about meeetup and facebook groups. Next year is the year I plan to make my move locally.

(14-11-2013 09:03 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Welcome sir...Welcome!
Being that I am much closer to the end than the beginning - if death comes naturally instead of by bus!
Since you like logic, you might try Daniel C. Dennett's book "Intuition Pumps". I tried to get through it and failed. If you do read it, perhaps you could help me to understand it!

Thanks RaisdCath. Den Dennett wrote Godless correct? Unfortunately I don't get much pleasure from reading (I do enjoy reading factual information, but I rarely read opinion or fiction). But if I ever do, I'll look into that book!
14-11-2013, 01:47 PM
(14-11-2013 01:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 09:03 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Welcome sir...Welcome!

Thanks RaisdCath. Den Dennett wrote Godless correct? Unfortunately I don't get much pleasure from reading (I do enjoy reading factual information, but I rarely read opinion or fiction). But if I ever do, I'll look into that book!

No, that was Dan Barker who wrote Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists.
Unless you mean Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Ann Coulter. But I can't imagine that you do. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you for the correction Chas!
14-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]