A short homage to a lovely lady.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2015, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 03:24 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
A short homage to a lovely lady.
After 87 years on this planet, 35 of them I had the privilege of being a part of, my grandmother took her final breath at 1:30 this morning. My grandparents have been an incredibe part of my life for the last 35 years and I know that I was extremely fortunate to be able to say that not only did I know all 4, but I was quite close to these two. She and my grandpa had their 70th anniversary last November. I can only hope that I can say the same thing one fine day. I remember the summertime when I was a kid when I would go up to their farm in Northern Wisconsin and stay most of the summer. The times I had with them up on the farm is the times that I treasure and still look back with longing to relive them. She and my grandpa were a real couple of characters. As I sat in the planetarium today with my kids, I began to quietly tear up as the artificial cosmos projected before me reminded me of the peaceful tranquility of the north that I have such fond memories of. Whether it was making an awesome dinner or playing pinochle, my grandmother was the quintessential example of a grandmother. She was also essentially the grandmother that my wife never had. A shining example of a person with the utmost love for people. The world lost an amazing person. I love you grandma.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
10-01-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: It's finally done
(10-01-2015 03:20 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  After 87 years on this planet, 35 of them I had the privilege of being a part of, my grandmother took her final breath at 1:30 this morning. My grandparents have been an incredibe part of my life for the last 35 years and I know that I was extremely fortunate to be able to say that not only did I know all 4, but I was quite close to these two. She and my grandpa had their 70th anniversary last November. I can only hope that I can say the same thing one fine day. I remember the summertime when I was a kid when I would go up to their farm in Northern Wisconsin and stay most of the summer. The times I had with them up on the farm is the times that I treasure and still look back with longing to relive them. She and my grandpa were a real couple of characters. As I sat in the planetarium today with my kids, I began to quietly tear up as the artificial cosmos projected before me reminded me of the peaceful tranquility of the north that I have such fond memories of. Whether it was making an awesome dinner or playing pinochle, my grandmother was the quintessential example of a grandmother. She was also essentially the grandmother that my wife never had. A shining example of a person with the utmost love for people. The world lost an amazing person. I love you grandma.

Really sorry for your loss Sad

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
10-01-2015, 03:28 PM
RE: A short homage to a lovely lady.
They sound like a wonderful couple.

My sympathy on your loss, may your memories always keep her close at heart

Hug

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
My sincere condolences.Sad
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
10-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Shit. It sucks losing awesome people.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
10-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Hug

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
10-01-2015, 04:23 PM
I am very sorry for the loss.

Those memories of time spent on a midwestern farm are awesome. I have many of my own - the best memories I have as a kid.

Hugs to you and your family.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-01-2015, 05:30 PM
It sounds as if your grandma enjoyed life and knew how to really live. 87 is a good number of years and it's too bad she couldn't grab a few more; sometimes the body has just had enough. I hope the end wasn't too much of an ordeal for her.

Jesus man, my dad taught me to pinochle and I thought we were the only two left on the planet who knew how - your grandma must have been a great gal! I am glad that so many people were able to experience her life.

I'm sorry ... losing such an exuberant presence hurts. Heart Memories help with that hurt.

Many hugs for you and your family. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I offer you my most sincere condolences, TOC.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Condolences to you, I'm really sorry for your loss. :/ Take care.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post