14-07-2012, 05:23 AM
RE: A short perspective and question, from a Norwegian
Welcome Sillinde Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you! Err...I can't really say your name without insulting you so Tongue

But that you! I just can't understand how a developed country has people who are convinced of this. Apart fom the occasional person who's beliefs differ from the norm.
14-07-2012, 04:02 PM
(14-07-2012 03:44 PM)sillinde Wrote:  Thank you! Err...I can't really say your name without insulting you so Tongue

But that you! I just can't understand how a developed country has people who are convinced of this. Apart fom the occasional person who's beliefs differ from the norm.
'sok Smile I answer to moron, or dog, or morondog Tongue I come from Southern Africa where the population is nearly 100% religious. OK I lie, like 95%. But if you grew up in it's clutches, breaking free becomes a problem. I can think of 2 other close friends who don't have any truck with religion. The rest are fully immersed. And convinced that people like us are the reason the world is so fucked Big Grin
14-07-2012, 04:10 PM
In southrern africa? as in South Africa the country? How is the situation down there? I can understand desperate people turn to religion to help them deal with the harshness of their lives, but South Africa is somewhat okay isn't it? I mean, compared to how some of the other countries are struggling with civil war and what not.
14-07-2012, 04:15 PM
(14-07-2012 04:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 03:44 PM)sillinde Wrote:  Thank you! Err...I can't really say your name without insulting you so Tongue

'sok Smile I answer to moron, or dog, or morondog Tongue I come from Southern Africa where the population is nearly 100% religious. OK I lie, like 95%. But if you grew up in it's clutches, breaking free becomes a problem. I can think of 2 other close friends who don't have any truck with religion. The rest are fully immersed. And convinced that people like us are the reason the world is so fucked Big Grin
Well, duh. The world is fucked up. The majority are religious. Therefore, the non-religious minority is the cause.
Yup, makes perfect sense. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Hehe Smile It's COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS Tongue SA and Zim (my home countries) are actually pretty sane, apart from Zim. Yeah, no wars for the past 20 years. A definite plus. SA's actually reasonably prosperous. The only downside is the politicians in Africa are... pretty craazy. But other than the politicians everyone else is cool Smile
14-07-2012, 04:23 PM
(14-07-2012 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 04:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  'sok Smile I answer to moron, or dog, or morondog Tongue I come from Southern Africa where the population is nearly 100% religious. OK I lie, like 95%. But if you grew up in it's clutches, breaking free becomes a problem. I can think of 2 other close friends who don't have any truck with religion. The rest are fully immersed. And convinced that people like us are the reason the world is so fucked Big Grin
Well, duh. The world is fucked up. The majority are religious. Therefore, the non-religious minority is the cause.
Not sure if you learn this is the US, I don't think so since it's before your "time". We had this age during the middle ages called the "Dark Ages". That's when europe had it's batshit religious phase. Science was heresy, merely hinting someone might be a witch would have them killed (it is thought that many used this to get ridd of people they didn't like). The spanish inquisition burned people by the truck loads as if they had a quota to reach.

This time is when religion was allowed to rule and I think we've more or less agreed it wasn't the grandest of times....
[+] 1 user Likes sillinde's post
14-07-2012, 04:31 PM
(14-07-2012 04:23 PM)sillinde Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, duh. The world is fucked up. The majority are religious. Therefore, the non-religious minority is the cause.
Not sure if you learn this is the US, I don't think so since it's before your "time". We had this age during the middle ages called the "Dark Ages". That's when europe had it's batshit religious phase. Science was heresy, merely hinting someone might be a witch would have them killed (it is thought that many used this to get ridd of people they didn't like). The spanish inquisition burned people by the truck loads as if they had a quota to reach.

This time is when religion was allowed to rule and I think we've more or less agreed it wasn't the grandest of times....
Ummm, you don't recognize irony. Weeping

14-07-2012, 04:37 PM
(14-07-2012 04:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, you don't recognize irony. Weeping
Is that what Hittite chariots are made of ? Tongue
14-07-2012, 04:43 PM
(14-07-2012 04:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 04:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, you don't recognize irony. Weeping
Is that what Hittite chariots are made of ? Tongue
Weren't they bronzey?