A simple question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2013, 12:25 PM
A simple question....
For the atheist I ask:

Does each individual determine what is meaningful in their life? Or is meaning determined by something outside of ourselves which we all must strive for?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2013, 04:29 PM
RE: A simple question....
We assign meaning to the things in our lives.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-08-2013, 04:33 PM
See my sig...
v v v

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-08-2013, 04:40 PM
(18-08-2013 12:25 PM)Clive Staples Lewis Wrote:  For the atheist I ask:

Does each individual determine what is meaningful in their life? Or is meaning determined by something outside of ourselves which we all must strive for?

Life has whatever meaning and purpose you choose to give it. It's your life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-08-2013, 04:40 PM
(18-08-2013 12:25 PM)Clive Staples Lewis Wrote:  For the atheist I ask:

Mostly, yes. I would hope that one determines that doing good in the world is meaningful vs say, murdering people or training animals for dog fights.
18-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I think that's part of the beauty of non-belief, you aren't told by a religious doctrine what gives your life meaning. You decide what gives your life meaning.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-08-2013, 04:46 PM
You mean a loaded question? Rolleyes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
18-08-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2013 10:06 PM by Chas.)
As everyone has said, you find your own meaning. And it will likely change throughout your life as you grow and change.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I think we determine meaning for ourselves as individuals. But I think theists do too... there isn't a universal "meaning of life", because everyone is totally different. Instead I'd ask "what's the meaning of your life?".

What aspect of your life do you care for the most, what makes you want to get out of bed. But also it's the negatives... what do you avoid doing, what makes you want to stay in bed. All these things combine to give your life meaning.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2013, 05:31 PM
As a kinda atheist:

I think meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

That is to say, we (often) derive meaning from our lives, and subscribe meaning to our lives. But we also (sometimes) find something meaningful in the lives of others. My friends, family, etc, have meaning to me. The person living thousands of miles away who I've never heard of, not so much. What meaning I and others may not have TO ME, is something that depends on me and how I see that meaning. However, others are doing the exact same thing to me. My existence means something to them... or sometimes it doesn't... but almost certainly not the same thing as it means to me. Or what it means to other third parties.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail