A simple, yet effective refutation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
A simple, yet effective refutation.
A common YEC explanation for traveling light or radiometric dating is, "Well, God placed it there to make it look like that."

Simply refer them to Titus 1:2
2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago,

Then ask them why they made such an affront to the character of God.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
RE: A simple, yet effective refutation.
I guess God also didn't lie about homosexuality, murder, incest, universalism, predestination, etc, etc...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
You've got a thing for the YEC lately haven't you? Leave them alone man, it's not like they are trying to make the world a dumber place and remove genuine facts from all the classrooms in favor of fantasy....

Everytime I type the I type teh. Is this a problem for anyone else?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
(07-06-2012 09:24 AM)lucradis Wrote:  You've got a thing for the YEC lately haven't you? Leave them alone man, it's not like they are trying to make the world a dumber place and remove genuine facts from all the classrooms in favor of fantasy....

It does seem to be endemic on teh internetz.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
(07-06-2012 09:24 AM)lucradis Wrote:  You've got a thing for the YEC lately haven't you? Leave them alone man, it's not like they are trying to make the world a dumber place and remove genuine facts from all the classrooms in favor of fantasy....

I've just spent a lot of time talking to QC about accepting evolution, and now there are some YECs telling her things that are causing her to doubt.

It's frustrating because YEC is... just... laughable.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Where I live "teh" is a very refreshing drink. Teh Alia (in Singapore) / Teh Halia (in Malaysia) = Ginger Tea... love it.

Also, my Malay colleagues live in blissful ignorance of stuff like evolution; it's just not important to them.

I am confronted often by Quranic stuff which to me is... just... laughable. Gotta be careful who I laugh at though!

But I have only met one YEC here, so, not so bad.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
(07-06-2012 08:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  A common YEC explanation for traveling light or radiometric dating is, "Well, God placed it there to make it look like that."

Simply refer them to Titus 1:2
2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago,

Then ask them why they made such an affront to the character of God.
Good point. Thumbsup

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
07-06-2012, 12:06 PM
(07-06-2012 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I've just spent a lot of time talking to QC about accepting evolution, and now there are some YECs telling her things that are causing her to doubt.

It's frustrating because YEC is... just... laughable.
I suggest QC might want to learn to read.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
It's *good* that she doubts, even if she's doubting evolution, the one true and holy truth of the church of truthful truth-tellers. Ideas should never be sacred... That's what keeps us sharp Wink
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-06-2012, 05:58 PM
It's good that she doubts, so long as the result of that doubt isn't "I'll just pick the one that feels right to me". Doubt within a framework of critical thinking is a positive thing, but we only have to look at the average conspiracy theory to find that it alone is not sufficient to build knowledge.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.