A skeptical fairytale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 02:35 PM
A skeptical fairytale
Once -I can't remember where or when- I read this skeptical fairytale. I remember the rough lines of it but I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm rewriting it here in case I should forget.

Once upon a time there was a family of a mom, dad, a big sister and a little boy. One day, the boy lost a tooth. His parents told him he should lay it under his pillow at night so the thoothfairy could come and swap it for some money. So he did... And behold... When he woke up in the morning he found a €10 note under his pillow.
He showed his sis the €10 but his sister could not believe that he got money from a fairy.

She said: "What makes you think you got the money from the tooth fairy?"
He replied: "mom and dad told me."
"Why would a fairy give you money? Where would she get it from?" the girl asked "She can make it out of teeth." the boy said.
"You can't make money out of teeth!"
"Yes she can. It's magical money"

So the girl asked if she could examine the €10 note. She only found mom and dad's fingerprints on it. When confronted, the boy said that the fairy must have been wearing gloves and that it is quite possible that mom and dad already used the money, somewhere, some day before it got back to the fairy's treasury.

So sis asked if she could examine the boy's room only to find footprints of mom, dad, bro and herself in the room. The boy simply replied "Fairies have wings dumb-ass". No matter how much the girl tried to convince her brother that the fairy must at least had to stand next to him to put the money under the pillow, the boy said there was no need to.

Then, the girl, without the boys knowledge, put one of her own teeth under his pillow. When he found it in the morning his reply to her was that the fairy must have known that it wasn't his tooth, an that fairies only bring money to the rightful owner of the tooth under the right circumstances.

A few days later the boy lost another tooth and he put it under his pillow. The girl installed a infra read web-cam in the boys room on witch one could clearly see mom and dad swapping the tooth for €10.
The boy said that it must have been the tooth fairy magically appearing as mom and dad not to upset him should he accidentally be awake when she enters.

Enraged in frustration the girl pulled out her long blond hair.
She put it under her pillow
and when she woke up in the morning
it was still there

I have my own morale on this story but it would be neat if you people could come up with one. maybe you can also lengthen the story by adding ways for the girl to come up with proof and the boy denying it. Have fun.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
28-04-2011, 07:30 PM
RE: A skeptical fairytale
Well to be honest this is a typical case of denial by someone hopelessly convinced. I don't get the hair part at the end. Why did she do that ? It doesn't tie in to the whole tooth fairy bit.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
28-04-2011, 10:41 PM
(28-04-2011 07:30 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well to be honest this is a typical case of denial by someone hopelessly convinced. I don't get the hair part at the end. Why did she do that ? It doesn't tie in to the whole tooth fairy bit.
Haha
well... that's why it's a fairytale...
Think about it some further. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Yea I'm not getting the part about the hair either. Can you enlighten us with the reason please?
29-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Remember it's a fairytale...
Everyone can draw their own morale out of it. And I was hoping it would catch on.

I drew the following conclusion.

As a sceptic you can try and convince someone their position is flawed, but as soon as you get frustrated it's your loss. The boy is left with €20, the girl is left bald.

As it often goes with a good story, I try to live by that morale I concluded.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
29-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Now I understand Big Grin lol.
29-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Quote:The boy is left with €20, the girl is left bald.
That was a great story when you finally get it, though if I would have written it, the girl would have pulled out her teeth instead of her hair. Smile
But I can't figure out why she put her hair under the pillow?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
29-04-2011, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2011 07:19 AM by Observer.)
A trap we often step in is to try and convince a bigoted theist about our views.
That's NEVER going to work.

You should focus on the "in-betweens"...
(29-04-2011 07:06 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:The boy is left with €20, the girl is left bald.
That was a great story when you finally get it, though if I would have written it, the girl would have pulled out her teeth instead of her hair. Smile
But I can't figure out why she put her hair under the pillow?
Who pulls out his/her teeth in despair?

Besides...
ITS A FAIRYTALE! You bunch of literalistic morons Big Grin Big Grin
You pulled it out of context you atheist do this all the time... Oh wait... Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
29-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:Who pulls out his/her teeth in despair?
The dentists of my town. Not their own teeth though.

The whole story had to do with teeth, so it doesn't make sense to me that suddenly some hair hops from behind the corner. It's like watching a James Bond movie, but in the end Spiderman appears and kills Magneto.

''...it was still there''. Well what did she expect. A hair fairy?

I interpret my fairytales literally, and my interpretation is the only correct one.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
30-04-2011, 03:42 AM
(29-04-2011 03:49 PM)Kikko Wrote:  I interpret my fairytales literally, and my interpretation is the only correct one.
prove it Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist