Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Exclamation A smear campaign against an atheist city council candidate
A smear campaign against an atheist city council candidate

* October 23rd, 2010

[Image: 039a30c21915ddb6ca50bd059f91bcba.jpg]
Patterson city council candidate James Leonard

Patterson is a community of 20,000 or so, situated in the northern part of California's Great Central Valley. Usually the most exciting thing that happens there is their annual Peach Fiesta but as the local newspaper, the Patterson Irrigator reports, this year's city election campaign is getting a lot of attention over an attempted smear campaign against mayoral candidate Luis Molina and city council candidate James Leonard. Some person, no one knows who, sent out a mailer that attacked the character of both candidates.

The advertisement, which arrived in an unknown number of residents’ mailboxes on Friday, Oct. 15, lambasted Molina for embezzling money while he was student government president of Chabot College in 1994 and for having two previous DUI arrests. It also took aim at City Council candidate James Leonard for his atheistic beliefs.

“When it comes to our elected officials, CHARACTER MATTERS,” the words on the mailer practically screamed, adding “it’s critically important YOU really know the person you’re voting for.”

(Read more here)
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2010, 06:30 PM

RE: A smear campaign against an atheist city council candidate
I heard about this. It isn't supposed to affect his prospects at all. The irony of the attack is blatant. If character matters, why be such a jerk about this (the attacker), and why not come out about who you are?
24-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I have run for city council twice. I lost both elections but the margin is closing. I am a well known atheist in my community. I place a Festivus pole next to the nativity and holiday tree at the community gazebo for example. And I am pleased to announce that nobody has ever used my atheism as a wedge against me. Perhaps the times - they are a'changin' after all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Perhaps the key to your victory is to do better in the Feats of Strength. You may also want to scale back some on the airing of the grievances.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-10-2010, 10:45 AM
(25-10-2010 04:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  Perhaps the key to your victory is to do better in the Feats of Strength. You may also want to scale back some on the airing of the grievances.

How dare you suggest someone should hold back during the Airing of Grievances! This is a tradition that must be upheld, and watering it down by holding back is blasphemy! I will be contacting the UN to report this blasphemy. Stop trying to oppress my beliefs!!!!

Just visiting.

-SR
01-11-2010, 11:30 AM

I don’t have any grudge against anybody because of one being an atheist. For a city council candidate being an atheist can be used against him in campaign but end of the day the truth is it the voter’s elects who they want. A fair fight is always justified but to deliberately spread damaging rumors’ about somebody because of their belief cannot be justified under any circumstances.