A solution to the hard problem of consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2016, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 04:03 PM by SuperMarioGamer.)
A solution to the hard problem of consciousness
Awareness is the source of experience. You can be pure awareness without any experiences. You can have no thoughts, no feelings, and no sensations and yet still be aware. So you can have awareness without any other experiences, but you cannot have any experience at all without awareness.

When you put a person under anesthesia and they lose their conscious awareness, then if you were to stimulate areas of their brain responsible for smell, taste, etc., then would they experience any of that?

So if awareness is the source of experience and since the brain is a series of billions of neurons all wired together, then awareness itself would have to be wired to all of those neurons so that stimulation of those neurons takes on the form of a certain awareness (i.e. a certain feeling, smell, or sensation).

Going back to my example with the person under anesthesia, if you can stimulate parts of the brain while the person is out, but that person cannot experience any of it, then this would mean that all this stimulation takes on the form of nothing but physical activity in the brain.

But that activity would take on the form of certain awarenesses of touch, smell, taste, etc. when his/her conscious awareness is turned on. The question of the hard problem of consciousness is how the brain generates experience. So my personal answer to that would be through awareness.

If we know how the brain generates awareness, then we can know from there how that awareness gets connected to all the other neurons and generates experience.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2016, 05:25 PM
RE: A solution to the hard problem of consciousness
(27-10-2016 03:58 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Awareness is the source of experience. You can be pure awareness without any experiences. You can have no thoughts, no feelings, and no sensations and yet still be aware. So you can have awareness without any other experiences, but you cannot have any experience at all without awareness.

When you put a person under anesthesia and they lose their conscious awareness, then if you were to stimulate areas of their brain responsible for smell, taste, etc., then would they experience any of that?

So if awareness is the source of experience and since the brain is a series of billions of neurons all wired together, then awareness itself would have to be wired to all of those neurons so that stimulation of those neurons takes on the form of a certain awareness (i.e. a certain feeling, smell, or sensation).

Going back to my example with the person under anesthesia, if you can stimulate parts of the brain while the person is out, but that person cannot experience any of it, then this would mean that all this stimulation takes on the form of nothing but physical activity in the brain.

But that activity would take on the form of certain awarenesses of touch, smell, taste, etc. when his/her conscious awareness is turned on. The question of the hard problem of consciousness is how the brain generates experience. So my personal answer to that would be through awareness.

If we know how the brain generates awareness, then we can know from there how that awareness gets connected to all the other neurons and generates experience.

That's funny. I'd like to know how you can be aware without being aware of anything. You simply throw that out there as if it is incontestably true. Got an argument for that? I know that whenever I'm aware, I'm always aware of something.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
27-10-2016, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 05:43 PM by SuperMarioGamer.)
(27-10-2016 05:25 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 03:58 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Awareness is the source of experience. You can be pure awareness without any experiences. You can have no thoughts, no feelings, and no sensations and yet still be aware. So you can have awareness without any other experiences, but you cannot have any experience at all without awareness.

That's funny. I'd like to know how you can be aware without being aware of anything. You simply throw that out there as if it is incontestably true. Got an argument for that? I know that whenever I'm aware, I'm always aware of something.

Without any other experience such as touch, smell, taste, etc., then you would just simply be aware of your own awareness.
27-10-2016, 05:55 PM
(27-10-2016 05:32 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 05:25 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  That's funny. I'd like to know how you can be aware without being aware of anything. You simply throw that out there as if it is incontestably true. Got an argument for that? I know that whenever I'm aware, I'm always aware of something.

Without any other experience such as touch, smell, taste, etc., then you would just simply be aware of your own awareness.

Aware of my own awareness being aware of what? What you are proposing is a consciousness aware of nothing but its own object-less awareness or a consciousness conscious only of itself. This is at best self contradictory. It also commits the fallacy of pure self-reference.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
27-10-2016, 05:59 PM
(27-10-2016 05:55 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 05:32 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Without any other experience such as touch, smell, taste, etc., then you would just simply be aware of your own awareness.

Aware of my own awareness being aware of what? What you are proposing is a consciousness aware of nothing but its own object-less awareness or a consciousness conscious only of itself. This is at best self contradictory. It also commits the fallacy of pure self-reference.

Self awareness is what I am talking about here. When you take out all other experiences such as smell, taste, touch, etc. and as long as you still remain conscious, then this is the awareness I'm talking about. It is self awareness.
27-10-2016, 06:11 PM
(27-10-2016 05:59 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 05:55 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Aware of my own awareness being aware of what? What you are proposing is a consciousness aware of nothing but its own object-less awareness or a consciousness conscious only of itself. This is at best self contradictory. It also commits the fallacy of pure self-reference.

Self awareness is what I am talking about here. When you take out all other experiences such as smell, taste, touch, etc. and as long as you still remain conscious, then this is the awareness I'm talking about. It is self awareness.

But I'm only aware of my own awareness as a secondary object. If I had never had any awareness of anything other than my self it would be impossible to be aware that I am aware. Consciousness requires not only a subject but also an object. Remember that consciousness is not an entity in its own right. it is an action taken by an entity. Just as you can't have fishing as an object of your awareness until you observe someone fishing and you can't observe dancing without anyone dancing, you can't observe your own conscious activity until it has been active perceiving some object. Once you have your first conscious experience, then and only then can your own consciousness be aware of its own activity as a secondary object.

This is the error that theist make at their starting point. They begin with a consciousness conscious only of itself, a contradiction in terms and an instance of pure self reference.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
27-10-2016, 06:35 PM
(27-10-2016 03:58 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  When you put a person under anesthesia and they lose their conscious awareness, then if you were to stimulate areas of their brain responsible for smell, taste, etc., then would they experience any of that? [...]

No. That's the whole purpose of anaesthesia; to impair or preclude any sense of awareness. General anaesthesia suppresses CNS (central nervous system) activity and results in unconsciousness and a total lack of any sensation.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-10-2016, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 07:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-10-2016 03:58 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Awareness is the source of experience. You can be pure awareness without any experiences.

Nope. Totally false.
You LEARN how to integrate sensory input.

It's not "philosophy". It's neuro-psychology, BTW.
"Aware of awareness" is a complex LEARNED concept. Is an infant aware of it's awareness, or anything, before it's LEARNED what those concepts mean, or LEARNED the language to assemble those concepts ?
Nope.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-10-2016, 01:23 AM
People assume that consciousness is a hard problem because they don't define their terms therefore they have no idea on how to even start.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-11-2016, 11:18 AM
When a person is sleep-walking there is awareness of the environment. We know this because sleep-walkers can successfully interact with their environment. There is no consciousness. This type of awareness can be explained, but it does not give a complete explanation of consciousness when awake.