A solution to the public pension issue in the UK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 06:31 PM
A solution to the public pension issue in the UK
A few months ago there was a big dispute in the UK between the unions and the Government. It focused on public sector pensions.

Basically, in the UK, public sector workers get paid far more and get far more benefits than private sector workers. The public sector pension plan was a little extravagant and not overly practical given the economic situation. Because of this the Government looked to renegotiate it to make it more viable. Of course the unions took their 'fuck everyone else' attitude, they don't care if the problem was pushing the country closer to financial ruin, they just wanted as big a slice of pie as possible. They took the approach that the pension scheme had already been agreed and the economic situation was irrelevant, the Government shouldn't make any changes based on it. The Government was willing to fight the point and it lead to widespread strikes.

I have a perfect solution. I think Parliament should play the unions game. Every person affected gets to decide, does the changing economic situation mean changes to terms of employment are acceptable? If they say yes, they accept the pension changes. If they say no (this is the good bit), they get a total pay freeze for the rest of their careers. The way I see it, if you wanna claim that changes to the economic situation are irrelevant to terms and conditions, then why the hell is inflation any different?

I don't expect this to be an overly popular idea but what does anyone think?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: A solution to the public pension issue in the UK
There are other countries than Canada?

And now that the laughter has subsided, back to the topic.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Sounds ok I guess, I will not input since I live in a country that I have to take out a loan if I want to get my 1 rotten ass tooth fixed!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 09:17 PM
(31-03-2012 07:11 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Sounds ok I guess, I will not input since I live in a country that I have to take out a loan if I want to get my 1 rotten ass tooth fixed!
Haha, best health care in the world!!!

No but seriously, banks don't give out loans anymore. You would have to take one of their credit cards with an interest rate that makes a loan shark look like welfare.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
I think that's fair enough Thumbsup

The only people who would be against this idea would be the greedy.

In Oz, there aren't many unions left. They can be good for the individual but they take it way too far imo Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)