A story of gypsy fortune tellers and the scam they perpetrate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 03:25 PM
A story of gypsy fortune tellers and the scam they perpetrate
Quote:I’m a resident of the South Suburbs of Chicago who made the unfortunate mistake a decade ago, while I was in college, to start working with a Gypsy Psychic Fortune Teller/”Spiritualist” whom I had visited for a reading. I had never been to a psychic before. I had only seen this woman’s ads on a bus transit shelter for years.

The reason for my visit to a Gypsy was that my girlfriend of 2 years had recently dumped me. The break up was hard. It brought me face to face with a lot of personal issues I didn’t think I had the strength–or more accurately, the strategy–to face and work through. I had tried going to counseling, but it had never helped. My girlfriend’s abrupt exit from my life left me feeling down and confused about my future. Looking for some direction, I thought about getting a psychic reading for the first time. I decided to visit a fortune telling parlor storefront on Harlem Avenue in Bridgeview. I stopped by without an appointment and knocked on the door. I was met by the female fortune teller, who said she could see me.

I entered her parlor/home. It was a weird mix of run down and nice rooms. The run down parts were just this side of squalor with a nasty stench of nicotine, incense and carpeting in serious need of replacing. The “nice” rooms were a gold-trimmed, fuschia-carpeted, mirrored palace of over-the-top bad taste and tackiness that looked like a cheesy bridal suite out of Vegas.

The story continues....

If you have the patience, quite revealing on how a person that believes in the supernatural can be duped with breathtaking audacity, yet I was pulling for him to pull his head out through the entire saga. His story has many similarities to how religion is used in general to control and influence people. Christianity is a bit more subtle, usually not having the chutzpah (usually) to ask for $15,000 up front -they'll just make small demands in time and money over your lifetime so the costs aren't as apparent- but the methodology is identical.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: A story of gypsy fortune tellers and the scam they perpetrate
(26-01-2015 03:25 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
Quote:I’m a resident of the South Suburbs of Chicago who made the unfortunate mistake a decade ago, while I was in college, to start working with a Gypsy Psychic Fortune Teller/”Spiritualist” whom I had visited for a reading. I had never been to a psychic before. I had only seen this woman’s ads on a bus transit shelter for years.

The reason for my visit to a Gypsy was that my girlfriend of 2 years had recently dumped me. The break up was hard. It brought me face to face with a lot of personal issues I didn’t think I had the strength–or more accurately, the strategy–to face and work through. I had tried going to counseling, but it had never helped. My girlfriend’s abrupt exit from my life left me feeling down and confused about my future. Looking for some direction, I thought about getting a psychic reading for the first time. I decided to visit a fortune telling parlor storefront on Harlem Avenue in Bridgeview. I stopped by without an appointment and knocked on the door. I was met by the female fortune teller, who said she could see me.

I entered her parlor/home. It was a weird mix of run down and nice rooms. The run down parts were just this side of squalor with a nasty stench of nicotine, incense and carpeting in serious need of replacing. The “nice” rooms were a gold-trimmed, fuschia-carpeted, mirrored palace of over-the-top bad taste and tackiness that looked like a cheesy bridal suite out of Vegas.

The story continues....

If you have the patience, quite revealing on how a person that believes in the supernatural can be duped with breathtaking audacity, yet I was pulling for him to pull his head out through the entire saga. His story has many similarities to how religion is used in general to control and influence people. Christianity is a bit more subtle, usually not having the chutzpah (usually) to ask for $15,000 up front -they'll just make small demands in time and money over your lifetime so the costs aren't as apparent- but the methodology is identical.

I've got a group of "psychics" up the road from me living in an old church..

I was discussing them with a neighbor - and explaining how the "psychics" will use electronic gadgetry (hidden microphones and video equipment)- including internet searches to get information on their clients that "they couldn't possibly know".....

Amazingly - she discounted my theories as being over-elaborate and "conspiratorial"......

My reply -- "You realize the other option - is they're talking to dead people"?????

The bullshit people are willing to believe.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2015, 04:08 PM
That's ah... that's 20 minutes from my house.

Is this gypsy still there that I can go find?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-01-2015, 04:27 PM
(26-01-2015 04:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's ah... that's 20 minutes from my house.

Is this gypsy still there that I can go find?

Sounds like she had some trouble with the law, probably why gypsies have a tendency to move around a lot.

Though I'm sure she would be happy to do special spiritual work on your behalf for less than $5,000.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition