A strange conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 05:37 AM
RE: A strange conversation
If you asked us to all describe a more exact religious/philosophical world view of our own it would be a weird list =p
Take mine for example. I basically consider myself an animistic atheist =p Just replace the spirit portion of animism with consciousness.I think we're better just discussing one point at a time.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Thammuz;

Why not just send him a link to here. Tell him there is a shitload of humor in these pages, along with some great knowledge on many subjects. You wouldn't be lying to him, plus you'd be opening a door for him to "come out" as whatever level he is when he's ready. That's the beauty of this forum. We can all speak freely. We can all honestly be ourselves.

After reading and seeing all of us, hearing our views, he may become more open to himself. I think that's where he is slipping at this point, he's still in denial. Many people slipping away from christianity are in denial, do to fear of losing public acceptance. This is a great starting point for those who are veering away from the biblical beliefs.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
17-06-2011, 06:39 AM
(17-06-2011 01:33 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Maybe I should've made another thread about religious views and what people call themselves instead of this one. That way the debate would have been somewhat wider.
Good Idea...
My contribution is in my signature...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-06-2011, 09:07 AM
(15-06-2011 09:15 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  why does he consider himself to be a christian when he more or less rejects everything and does what an atheists does? I'm pretty sure he is an atheist, but he won't admit it. And I don't want to force him in any way to admit in public, but I still think it's strange...

It's culturally relevant to be a Christian. Depending on were you live it can be extremely culturally relevant. Many people do not "care" about religion. They say they are "Christian" without putting any thought into it. Most people on this forum think that these things are "important" and that people should stop and "think" about them. However, in my opinion, most people don't really give it much thought or even care. They go to church for the community, their friends are Christian, their parents are Christian and they will defend Christianity.... etc etc. it's just easier to... "go with the flow" if I can use such a platitude.

i would guess that the better part of the population is atheist.... but they would never admit it.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
17-06-2011, 01:12 PM
(17-06-2011 09:07 AM)myst32 Wrote:  It's culturally relevant to be a Christian. Depending on were you live it can be extremely culturally relevant. Many people do not "care" about religion. They say they are "Christian" without putting any thought into it. Most people on this forum think that these things are "important" and that people should stop and "think" about them. However, in my opinion, most people don't really give it much thought or even care. They go to church for the community, their friends are Christian, their parents are Christian and they will defend Christianity.... etc etc. it's just easier to... "go with the flow" if I can use such a platitude.

i would guess that the better part of the population is atheist.... but they would never admit it.

Exactly how I feel, I get punished for rejecting the group, but the only difference form me and most christians I know is that I can't claim a belief I don't agree with. Religion really isn't a big deal, but since we reject the norm it becomes important to us. This is the same as how gender needs to be defined because when you are not hetero-male/female with very hetero-normative expressions all the sudden our tiny box of what gender is becomes incapable of accounting for your existence.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-06-2011, 08:21 AM

(17-06-2011 01:12 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  
(17-06-2011 09:07 AM)myst32 Wrote:  It's culturally relevant to be a Christian. Depending on were you live it can be extremely culturally relevant. Many people do not "care" about religion. They say they are "Christian" without putting any thought into it. Most people on this forum think that these things are "important" and that people should stop and "think" about them. However, in my opinion, most people don't really give it much thought or even care. They go to church for the community, their friends are Christian, their parents are Christian and they will defend Christianity.... etc etc. it's just easier to... "go with the flow" if I can use such a platitude.

Exactly how I feel, I get punished for rejecting the group, but the only difference form me and most christians I know is that I can't claim a belief I don't agree with. Religion really isn't a big deal, but since we reject the norm it becomes important to us. This is the same as how gender needs to be defined because when you are not hetero-male/female with very hetero-normative expressions all the sudden our tiny box of what gender is becomes incapable of accounting for your existence.
Religion isn't a big deal if you're in a secular country...
I don't want to sound as if I'm whining about my situation, although sort of I am, but to me its a big deal - in my situation, that is.

But this is a really good insight for me. I never saw that this is how it is for Christians and Atheist in secular countries.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm actually discussing living in the bible belt, it's just still about the same. I'm stating that atheists masquerading as christians don't consider religion anything, because they never get persecuted for just claiming the title of christian. I just can't suggest I'm something that I'm not, so I get persecuted for not being christian.

Atheists who admit their atheism have to deal with all sorts of issues caused by their admittance. which makes religion an important topic.

Glad it helped you see a different view though.