• 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2016, 10:15 PM
RE: A strange new world, the veil is lifting
Another Texan here. Welcome. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2016, 11:58 PM
I think it's fine not to rush things when you are early on in your process of deconversion. It's okay to let everything just settle into your new way of thinking. I think your kids will understand that you changed your views on religion, especially if you provide clear reasons for your departure from the church. If your kids are going to college and are exposed to other ways of thinking, they may also be having doubts about religion themselves.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
24-06-2016, 12:58 AM
Welcome OP Smile It might be depressing that there's no after, but life is still fun Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-06-2016, 02:06 AM
(23-06-2016 09:12 PM)jbrann Wrote:  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to deal with the same thing. I look forward to learning more and being a part of this community of thinkers.....

Your story is very similar to mine, except I deconverted from my evangelical/literalist upbringing around 17, finally realizing I was an actual atheist by age 22. It had a great deal to do with my study of apologetics and comparative religion, as well as realizing that my church had been lying to me about the nature of the universe, and what is known about it. Once I realized that my clergy were not trustworthy (or delusional), the rest fell into place fairly quickly, after years of fervent belief. Sadly, I had nothing like the podcasts, back then... but I studied biochemistry in college, and found the scientific view of the universe more awe-inspiring than anything I had believed from ancient tribal mythology.

It's nice when you realize that it's totally insane that people would claim that God, who allegedly gave us these brains, would prefer that we not use them ("...and lean not on your own understanding"). It's pretty clearly a book of concepts written by priests who want to establish and maintain an obedient flock by shackling the minds of their congregants, no different from a million others like them, in tens of thousands of other religions throughout history and across the world. Walking away is shockingly liberating.

Welcome to the light of day.

And to TTA. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-06-2016, 04:26 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
24-06-2016, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 04:35 AM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
Welcome to TTA!

Yours is a bad situation indeed, but there's no hurry. I mean, you don't have to tell everyone right away. Nothing forces you to, so if you don't feel comfortable sharing it, then don't. Take your time. For example, you could observe how the previous news settle down. Or until your wife starts the topic again with you on her own. Just thinking out loud here.

In any case, do what you think is right, but consider your options before doing it. But I'm sure you know this very well! Tongue

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
24-06-2016, 04:38 AM
Congratulations, OP, you've passed the Outsider's Test of Religion. Well done.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Foxen thanks for the reply I appreciate the support. Just to clarify I have not told my wife I do not believe in god at all. I told her I do not believe the bible is "infallible" and the word of god. I told her I believe it was put together by men with cultural agendas of their time. She still thinks I am a "deist". It was very upsetting for just to know that I didn't believe the bible any longer. Take away god 100% and not sure how that goes.
So many people have negative preconceived notions about atheists, and quite frankly I did at one time as well. In the christian community if your atheists it is like they below you are working for the devil. I do think I need to continue to learn more to be able to help support my position of "reason" and to learn from others experiences about do's and don'ts of how to come out. I hope to do a lot of forum reading and participation in this community to do so.
[+] 1 user Likes jbrann's post
24-06-2016, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the forum!
24-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Hug