A strange new world, the veil is lifting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: A strange new world, the veil is lifting
Welcome.

My granny (a very strict, but liberal, enlightened Catholic) and gramps (a life-long *quiet about it* non-believer) had a "storied" romance and life-long happy marriage. He chose to "humor her" and keep his mouth as he really loved her. She didn't bug him to go to church, and he agreed to let her raise them in her faith ...
Granted, that was back when saying you were an atheist amounted to be an evil Communist, or something. It worked ... well.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Don't feel like the lone ranger jbrann
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
24-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Welcome! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Welcome to TTA! No real advice from me, just empathy, as someone who has binge podcasted the show, nodded along a lot during De-Converted, and hasn't found the answers I wanted to hear in YouTube debates.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2016, 09:51 AM
(23-06-2016 09:12 PM)jbrann Wrote:  Hello all,
I am 43 old Texan who has been an evangelical christian for 28 years. I have always had struggles with some biblical moral issues and have studied apologetics for many years (the usual suspects Lee Strobel, Mcdowell, Hanaagraaf, James White, Michael Brown, etc) as well as Theology (Election, Arminianism, Eschatology a.k.a study of end times). I have always believed the bible was the "infallible" without error word of god.

Until a few months ago...... I have always struggled with some moral issues in bible such as "God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, etc..." but always accepted the typical answers until several months ago.

My journey actually began when I started watching YOUTUBE debates vs Atheists. I stumbled upon some debates with Bart Ehrman, Robert Price, etc... and what I thought would strengthen my faith by watching debates actually caused it to be shaken. The biblical scholars such as Bart Ehrman caused me to read the bible in a different light but the most enlightening thing I took away from many videos I watched was to test my religion in the same light I had tested so many others.

It has been a very dark journey and quite frankly very depressing. I actually played guitar for the church on Sunday mornings, and for the youth group and also helped with youth group at church. I am married and have 1 child still at home (will graduate in 3 years) the rest of my kids have already moved out. I suddenly stopped playing guitar at church and also stopped my involvement with the youth group.

I continued going to church (and still do every Sunday begrudgingly) because I have raised my son to be christian and to not have my wife catch on to my complete abandonment of my faith. We finally had a talk a week or so ago and I admitted to her I "no longer believed the bible was the word of God". This was a very hard blow to her, and she automatically assumed I am pissing away all my morals and told me how devastated my son would be if he found out this is how I feel.

I no longer pray at home when we have dinner and my wife takes the lead on that now..... But I have not told my wife yet that I have taken the leap from not believing the bible to no longer believing in the God of the Bible or even God in general. I don't know how/when I will be able to take that next step.

I wonder if I should try to secretly continue to read, read, read and learn more and more about atheism and the validation of critical free thought and reasoning and try to ride this out till my son graduates. I am very concerned that my wife may divorce me once she knows of my atheistic leanings now.

I have been "binge listening" to TTA podcasts and they have been a great help and I already feel like a part of this community. I am reading "De-converted" right now and about 75% through and I relate so much to what Seth went through.

Probably tougher than telling my wife will be one day telling my children that I raised in christianity that I no longer believe. I just don't know how they will take it or how I can do it.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to deal with the same thing. I look forward to learning more and being a part of this community of thinkers.....

Welcome. You'll be alright. I am surrounded by religious people. People that pray. Before every meal. Before every flight. After the meal. After the flight. etc.

They are family. You must learn to reconcile with them; they will even pray for you. Religious belief. I see it as something vestigial. Useless for epistemological purposes.

It can be a source of serious problems. But it may also be the only thing keeping some people from going completely bonkers. Some people just can't handle the truth.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
24-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Welcome, your in good company here.