A suggestion to help the mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Hello there.

Okay, so I have seen countless comments from mods talking about how they have to clean up the mess of so many new users, because they do not put their first post in the introductions sections.

When I see this I think to myself, "How hard can it be to let new users know they need to do this?" Now I know there is a forum rules thread or something that explains it, but newbies never read it. I offer the following solutions.

1.Set up an automatic information PM. When a new user registers their account, they will automatically get a PM. In the message it will alert the user to put their first post in the introductions section. This can also be taken advantage of and the message may also contain links to the forum rules, team, etc.

2.Use the registration email to alert them. Rather than sending them a PM, when the user goes to register their account on their email, they will have the required information to not spam the forums. This one again can be used to give links to important threads.

Problem solved???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Magoo's post
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Lol Magoo

Good idea. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
RE: A suggestion to help the mods
Helloo?? Anyone there?? If this is completely pointless, it would be nice if you at least told me.
10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Both good suggestions Magoo. It's just that they are among many that have already been made.

It's amazing what a new member will look right past when they have it in their head that they want to post something.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
(10-08-2012 05:09 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Both good suggestions Magoo. It's just that they are among many that have already been made.

It's amazing what a new member will look right past when they have it in their head that they want to post something.

It's a cruel world Magoo Tongue They overlooked my suggestion of pink tights for mods too. Said they preferred no pants. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
10-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, I implemented a welcome PM when new users register...

Subject: Welcome to {bbname}!

Body:
Quote:Welcome to our forum {username}.

Your first post will require approval from a moderator before it appears on the site, so if you post something and you don't see it immediately do not be alarmed.

This is not for censorship and only to prevent spam. We found that eliminating spambots early is the best way to keep spam off our site.

You can introduce yourself here.

TTA Forum Staff hope you to enjoy your stay.

Anyone got anything to add to this?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
McKayla is not impressed.

http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/

Just kidding. That works, or just program the thread to always stay on top, (by giving it a re-setting time, or whatever).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
(10-08-2012 05:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's a cruel world Magoo Tongue They overlooked my suggestion of pink tights for mods too. Said they preferred no pants. Dodgy
what?

And now you tell me.
That thing is itchy

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-08-2012, 07:42 AM
(10-08-2012 05:09 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Both good suggestions Magoo. It's just that they are among many that have already been made.

Ah, thank you. I assumed that they weren't there because otherwise we would never have this problem. I guess I was wrong.
11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
(10-08-2012 09:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  McKayla is not impressed.

http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/

Epic Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion for new subforum LostandInsecure 45 466 14-03-2014 04:24 PM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Rule suggestion for the boxing ring ELK12695 2 144 06-07-2013 04:47 PM
Last Post: Julius
  Suggestion: Let us see if people have quoted us in threads TheLogicalAthiest 22 597 17-04-2013 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Suggestion. DLJ 14 600 06-04-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: Erxomai
Lightbulb Suggestion: please also show today's thread and post numbers HU.Junyuan 0 136 26-03-2013 10:50 PM
Last Post: HU.Junyuan
  Suggestion Richard Stuckmeyer 11 623 31-01-2013 03:23 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Little suggestion. earmuffs 23 694 23-08-2012 10:41 AM
Last Post: Ghost0fBanquo