A surreal experience at work today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2015 06:33 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
A surreal experience at work today
I had a surreal experience today at work. This morning on the ship we were doing a three hour cleaning session throughout the ship. As I walked through the spaces I own, I typically stop and engage in casual conversation with my personnel. In one of the spaces a couple of my sailors were cleaning and I struck up a conversation with one of my young Petty Officers. We started talking about food, and discovered that we are both “foodies”. She told me stories of how her and her boyfriend love to go out and eat amazing meals at restaurants, and I shared that my wife and I do the same. So we exchanged local favorite restaurants, and meals we had enjoyed and the conversation led to going out in groups for dinner and how difficult it is to find people who are willing to pay for a really good meal.

This brought up our mutual disdain for people who don’t tip good service and I mentioned that years ago I used to wait on tables, and I hated when I got a large group. This is because with few exceptions they are the worst tippers, and I added, especially church groups. Without exception, every time I served a church group they would be loud, demanding, rude, and would leave like a dollar each or even worse, a pamphlet or little card that would say dumb shit like “Jesus died for your sins, be ready for his return.” I then quickly said, not that I’m speaking disparagingly about religious groups, but it is just a fact. She waved her hand and said dismissively, “oh I don’t care I’m an atheist.”…. And here’s how the conversation went from there:

Me: oh really, that’s cool, I am an atheist as well.

Her: really? My boyfriend and I are both atheists, and when we were in school together we created a group for nonreligious people.

Me: yes, in fact I am very engaged on many levels with atheism, if you’re ever on the web, you should check out the thinking atheist website.

Her: oh my God, that is our favorite website.

Me: you’re kidding? I am GoodWithoutGod on there, and I also have a resource library there of my work.

Her: You’re GoodWithoutGod! My boyfriend and I love reading your stuff, and in fact we copy it and paste it on Facebook all the time when discussing religion. I can’t believe you are GoodWithoutGod, how cool. *She then took out her phone and texted her boyfriend that she was talking to me*

We then entered excited conversation back and forth about religion, Christianity, the Bible, debate tactics, etc. it was a very surreal moment for me, what a small world. What are the odds that all this time she has been reading my stuff, sharing it with her boyfriend, and posting it on Facebook without realizing that Goodwithoutgod was in real life her division officer. So awesome.

It is people like her and her boyfriend that are the future in this country. As I have stated before, religion in America is literally aging out. Only one in three Americans under the age of 30 believe in a God. This is due to education, the Internet, and the ease of access to information which completely debunks religions. It is the little moments like this that make my efforts worthwhile and meaningful. Such a great finish to a rather horrific day at work.

Has anyone else had a similar or relative story from work that you would like to share, I am just curious.

FC3: If you end up reading this, I can't tell you how happy I am that you and your boyfriend are atheists, and I hope if either of you have any questions you will let me know. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 29 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
20-11-2015, 06:30 PM
RE: A surreal experience at work today
Hahaha! That's great!
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
20-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Look at you, a celibrity! Clap that's pretty cool

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 7 users Like Smercury44's post
20-11-2015, 06:41 PM
That's amazing but bound to happen eventually imo. You are very good at what you do and have even found myself using the knowledge you have bestowed upon us a few times. I think you will find it happening more in the future.

(20-11-2015 06:31 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Look at you, a celibrity! Clap that's pretty cool

*Celebrity Tongue unless you meant to spell it like that lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
20-11-2015, 06:44 PM
(20-11-2015 06:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  That's amazing but bound to happen eventually imo. You are very good at what you do and have even found myself using the knowledge you have bestowed upon us a few times. I think you will find it happening more in the future.

(20-11-2015 06:31 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Look at you, a celibrity! Clap that's pretty cool

The extra i fits for the internet fames

Bowing

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
20-11-2015, 06:45 PM
(20-11-2015 06:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 06:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  That's amazing but bound to happen eventually imo. You are very good at what you do and have even found myself using the knowledge you have bestowed upon us a few times. I think you will find it happening more in the future.

The extra i fits for the internet fames

Bowing

Ah, I guess that's what I get for not keeping up with the cool kids and their words.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
20-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Awesome! Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but I always hope that somehow I'll run into another poster somewhere.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
20-11-2015, 06:46 PM
(20-11-2015 06:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I then quickly said, not that I’m speaking disparagingly about religious groups, but it is just a fact. She waved her hand and said dismissively, “oh I don’t care I’m an atheist.”….

Seems like a pretty brave thing to say in that situation.

Quote:Her: You’re GoodWithoutGod! My boyfriend and I love reading your stuff, and in fact we copy it and paste it on Facebook all the time when discussing religion. I can’t believe you are GoodWithoutGod, how cool. *She then took out her phone and texted her boyfriend that she was talking to me*

She didn't recognize you from the avatar and other pictures?

Quote:FC3: If you end up reading this, I can't tell you how happy I am that you and your boyfriend are atheists, and I hope if either of you have any questions you will let me know. Thumbsup

and register as members here!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
20-11-2015, 06:48 PM
I often wonder if I've ever run across anyone here and not known it.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
20-11-2015, 07:12 PM
(20-11-2015 06:30 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hahaha! That's great!

I know right?

Was a really cool moment. Second time this has happened where I mention TTA, and they knew who GWG was....

awesome sauce

Thank you JDog, much appreciated

(20-11-2015 06:45 PM)julep Wrote:  Awesome! Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but I always hope that somehow I'll run into another poster somewhere.

What are the odds? it was just a cool conversation, she is a very bright young woman with a very strong personality, perfect fit for Atheism

(20-11-2015 06:46 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 06:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I then quickly said, not that I’m speaking disparagingly about religious groups, but it is just a fact. She waved her hand and said dismissively, “oh I don’t care I’m an atheist.”….

Seems like a pretty brave thing to say in that situation.

Quote:Her: You’re GoodWithoutGod! My boyfriend and I love reading your stuff, and in fact we copy it and paste it on Facebook all the time when discussing religion. I can’t believe you are GoodWithoutGod, how cool. *She then took out her phone and texted her boyfriend that she was talking to me*

She didn't recognize you from the avatar and other pictures?

Quote:FC3: If you end up reading this, I can't tell you how happy I am that you and your boyfriend are atheists, and I hope if either of you have any questions you will let me know. Thumbsup

and register as members here!

I thought the same thing.

I was wondering that too, but I doubt she browsed through the real life pics thread since it has an.....unusual name...and the avatar I use is intentionally a little dark and far away...you cant really make me out facial wise...now that she knows I am sure she is going..."oh shit, it IS Gunner"

Yes I hope they do join and participate, that would be very cool

(20-11-2015 06:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I often wonder if I've ever run across anyone here and not known it.

That is intriguing isnt it? You could be in line at the grocery store and the person standing next to you could be......[insert random TTA member]...that is a neat thought. It would really be cool if you were like walking somewhere and someone said...."Hobbitgirl?"... Shocking

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post