A talk coming soon.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2011, 08:24 PM
A talk coming soon.
Well my old Pastor (Who I used too attend too and the pastor of my wedding.) asked me and the leader of the Skagit Secular Student Alliance onto a beer talk. Going to a good local pub and talk about Easter!

Here is the sermon were are going too debate. It's basically "Why I believe the resurrection did happen and here are the facts too prove my atheists friends wrong!"
http://sermons.tgcconline.com/files/1067...ection.pdf

Gotta love C.S. Lewis apologetics.

BTW he did add Buddhist for a reason. Wink

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 08:26 PM
RE: A talk coming soon.
Well good luck, let us know how it goes and make sure to enjoy the beer Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2011, 10:55 PM
About a page into it, he defines faith as "holding on to what you have found to be true". I fing it amusing as I doubt he has faith according to that definition.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-04-2011, 11:44 PM
(25-04-2011 08:26 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well good luck, let us know how it goes and make sure to enjoy the beer Tongue

We will! Big Grin

http://www.porterhousepub.net/porterhous...sOnTap.cfm

This will be my pastor and I. Tongue

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
26-04-2011, 03:33 AM

(25-04-2011 11:44 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
(25-04-2011 08:26 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well good luck, let us know how it goes and make sure to enjoy the beer Tongue

We will! Big Grin

http://www.porterhousepub.net/porterhous...sOnTap.cfm

This will be my pastor and I. Tongue

This is completely off-topic, but how did get that video into your post? I've been flailing about trying to make it happen beyond just providing a link.

Thanks. And I hope you're enjoying season 6.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 09:59 AM
On page two, the author writes: "Eyewitness accounts are some of the most powerful evidence in court..." Obviously, this person knows nothing about the unreliability of eye-witness accounts and human memory. Plus, this person implies that because Matthew and John say they were eye-witnesses to Jesus' resurrection, they must have been. Seriously? Matthew's Gospel was not written until approx. 70-85 CE, while John's was not written until approx. 90 CE. These aren't exactly contemporary accounts. Every time we "remember" something, we are recreating that memory in our brain; we don't store memory like files. So, the chances of either Matthew or John remembering events exactly as they happened are slim to nil. That is, if they ever even saw Jesus...

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
26-04-2011, 01:54 PM
(26-04-2011 03:33 AM)riggbeck Wrote:  This is completely off-topic, but how did get that video into your post? I've been flailing about trying to make it happen beyond just providing a link.

Click on the TV button on your word editor. It will give you options for video sources. Click on Youtube and then paste or type the Youtube URL of the video. Don't use any shorten version URL that Youtube now provides. Use the URL on your address bar.

26-04-2011, 02:21 PM

When's this talk happening?
26-04-2011, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 03:13 PM by The Doctor.)
(26-04-2011 02:21 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  When's this talk happening?

Tomorrow afternoon. The pastor gets out of doing his church stuff around 3 ish.
(26-04-2011 09:59 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  On page two, the author writes: "Eyewitness accounts are some of the most powerful evidence in court..." Obviously, this person knows nothing about the unreliability of eye-witness accounts and human memory. Plus, this person implies that because Matthew and John say they were eye-witnesses to Jesus' resurrection, they must have been. Seriously? Matthew's Gospel was not written until approx. 70-85 CE, while John's was not written until approx. 90 CE. These aren't exactly contemporary accounts. Every time we "remember" something, we are recreating that memory in our brain; we don't store memory like files. So, the chances of either Matthew or John remembering events exactly as they happened are slim to nil. That is, if they ever even saw Jesus...

This is what Tyler and I are really going to talk to him about. The credibility of eye witnesses and when the books are written.

Tyler, I think does not believe an Jesus existed, but I do. I just support the idea that Jesus was a real person who hated the Jewish church and it's corruption. Chances are he was put to death for his ideals against the high priests. I believe that Jesus of today was created as an legend. All the stories were created to prop-up the legend of Jesus.

26-04-2011, 06:04 PM

(26-04-2011 01:54 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
(26-04-2011 03:33 AM)riggbeck Wrote:  This is completely off-topic, but how did get that video into your post? I've been flailing about trying to make it happen beyond just providing a link.

Click on the TV button on your word editor. It will give you options for video sources. Click on Youtube and then paste or type the Youtube URL of the video. Don't use any shorten version URL that Youtube now provides. Use the URL on your address bar.

Brilliant! Thank you.