This is bad news
This is'nt bad news
[Show Results]

A test...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2011, 10:59 AM
RE: A test...
I agree with your statement fully. I simply have a different opinion of the statement presented in the poll. And I would think we would be seeing an upward trend of diseases as more and more parents avoid immunization.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 11:10 AM

(22-05-2011 10:59 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I agree with your statement fully. I simply have a different opinion of the statement presented in the poll. And I would think we would be seeing an upward trend of diseases as more and more parents avoid immunization.

Don't even get me started on immunizations, there were like 4 or 5 babies who died from whooping cough in California this year, most likely all preventable.
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Have all states removed the immunization requirements to attend public schooling? It was a rather important decision medically to demand children be immunized from certain diseases before putting them all together. I know when I was growing up my mom couldn't have chosen to leave me susceptible, and have me in public school. Not that she would ever even think to put me at risk for things like polio. My sister on the other hand >.> Also oddly enough my sister moved to California a few years back about 16 months after her baby was born.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-05-2011, 11:48 AM

(22-05-2011 11:23 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Have all states removed the immunization requirements to attend public schooling? It was a rather important decision medically to demand children be immunized from certain diseases before putting them all together. I know when I was growing up my mom couldn't have chosen to leave me susceptible, and have me in public school. Not that she would ever even think to put me at risk for things like polio. My sister on the other hand >.> Also oddly enough my sister moved to California a few years back about 16 months after her baby was born.

Up until this next school year, parents could decline all vaccines in California. With the Whooping cough outbreak last year, there is no exception for any parents this year. It should be interesting.

It's not only a problem for the child who is not immunized, but when the "herd immunity" level drops to a certain percentage, everyone is at risk
22-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Definitely, there are many cases of immunized children becoming horribly sick due to being presented with a full on disease which their immunization has prevented small versions of. The unimmunized children who attend public schooling cause a huge risk to those children who haven't been spending their childhood sick of every sort of disease possible.

22-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Ive fooled you people long enough... Blush
The number IS indeed made up!
But the thing is, It's not about the number, It's about the way the statement is made.

This statement tells you absolutely NOTHING on the actual death rate of children, nor on whether they are more likely to get cancer or not. So, is this bad news? I guess not... It's NO news to say the least.

Mainstream media is swamped with quotes like that. Remember "Chicken flu"? I Still remember headlines in those days... "Already 161 deaths of chicken flu!"
The same counts here: You have no anchor on which to prove you death rate. So this headline does not tell you much. It only scares you.

Where the people voting "this is bad news" gullible or not skeptical enough?
No!
Here's what's happening...

It's again the two speeds of your brain as explained in this post. Conveniently called "The caveman" and "The teenager".

When reading the question 4 things jump out:
80% (or even worse 76,3%): A fairly large percentage
Children: You know... Those cute little innocent looking individuals.
Death: *cripes!*
Cancer: A horrible and often painfully torturing disease

To the emotional caveman, the links are quickly made. A large amount of children are dying a horrible death! The caveman doesn't even really know what 80% is. let alone a rather unnatural 76,3%. He doesn't really know numbers.
The teenager's average reaction can be double. If he's tired of a though working day he'd shrug, tells the caveman to calm down "this is not your call dude" and walks along. The unease lingers. It the Teenager is a bit more alert, he'd look at the numbers, and tell the caveman "dude, this doesn't make sense. Calm down". The unease lingers as well.

When reading such things, the first thing your "teenager" must do is search a context. In the case of the chicken flu, simply ask yourself "161 deaths worldwide?" That was indeed the case! How many promille chance is that? The chance you choke to death on a cookie are much larger: But the caveman likes cookies, they do not scare him.

As for the above quote...
As long as you can't compare the percentage with the numbers you will never get there. But, as JumpingAtheist points out, the fact that children are dying of cancer is good news in an historical context. 150 year ago children died of flu, whooping couch or croup. If cancer is the major cause of death now that means science has all the other diseases under control.

Source: My favorite skeptical read Dan Gardner - Risk: The science and politics of fear.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-05-2011, 06:33 PM

(22-05-2011 09:45 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(22-05-2011 06:17 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  This statistic does not really make sense. The number is too much to account for just cancer deaths in comparison to disease/starvation deaths. Either it's bogus or the demographic borders of the study that lead to this number were restricted to only capitalistic countries. -_-
Your right, the number does only count for the western country's. I've should have been more specific. It was a rounding as well; the more accurate number is 76,3%; The question remains however...
Bad news or not?

Taking into consideration that cancer is not that common in such ages to begin with, an 80% prevalence would translate that very few children die in total in those demographic borders.

Voting "not bad news"... Undecided
22-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Better to have them die of natural causes in a case where you can't stop it, than have them die by unnatural causes where it could've been prevented. Either way it's terrible.
22-05-2011, 10:34 PM

(22-05-2011 07:43 PM)bird Wrote:  Better to have them die of natural causes in a case where you can't stop it, than have them die by unnatural causes where it could've been prevented. Either way it's terrible.

All causes are more or less natural... Blush

"God took him", "he was abducted by aliens" & "the large hadron collider sucked him" being the obvious exceptions... Dodgy
22-05-2011, 11:51 PM
(22-05-2011 10:34 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  he was abducted by aliens
If aliens exist, they are not supernatural Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.