A thought about TTA teens..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2012, 10:05 PM
A thought about TTA teens..
I was thinking about the whole privacy issue that was/is (?) going on and it got me to thinking....

I am the father of a teenager. I was thinking of her room as kinda like the teen section. Ya, sure, it's in my house, but it's her space, and I am very careful to be respectful of that. And I know I do a good job at it, since even she tells me she appreciates it, and she's a teenager! Nothin pleases a teenager! Wink

So you get the perspective right? But here's the part that seems so weird to me. On here, some adult goes stumbling into the teen forum, a few things happen. Adult spouts off like adults do, except they just keep spouting. The teenagers start bitching because the oaf adult wandered into their turf, but they don't just roll their eyes, they start asking for fucking padlocks.

But here in my home, I stumble in, like the oaf I am. So long as I don't do something dumb like kick over the bong, they just kinda roll their eyes in that oh-brother-the-goofy-old-guys-here-again look. They think it's cute, I say something dumb and old sounding, but in the end, no one really minds at all.

Still with me?

Good, cuz I figured it out!

Here's how it works: here at home, I benefit from stumbling in because I get the chance to check in. Just makin sure there's not actually a bong in there, and that everyone's safe. I'm a dad. It's what I do.
They benefit because they get to ask when the food's ready. They know I'm making something, cuz I'm always making something, and they want to eat it. Because they always want to eat, and if they don't they get very unpleasant.

But here on the forum, there ain't no food, so us bustin in on them has no benefit.

Solution:
Send food to TTA teenagers.

No wonder I'm the admin. Drinking Beverage

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-11-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: A thought about TTA teens..
Laying down some of that sweet, sweet old man wisdom. Bowing

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2012, 10:21 PM
[Image: parachute_drop_hires_081208m0000j00.jpg]

Look up! Waaaay up!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
29-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Seems to me that as long as one of the mods or admins is checking to make sure that no rules are broken that could cause problems to for the forum overall and that no dangerous activity is going on like giving too much info, then I would agree to just let them have their space.

If they need us or want to mingle, they will.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-11-2012, 10:52 PM
That almost seems to me like Insane Troll Logic ... But it makes sense...

I demand some steak pie as food. Drooling

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-11-2012, 04:54 AM
My evil plan is coming together Evil_monster
30-11-2012, 06:07 AM
As an adult who never had children, I have a view that differs from those who had kids and - teenagers.

I never was in the parent end of the story, and I remember my own teenage very vividly, I remember it better than some of my adult life. I identify more with the teens, I think.

Autonomy was so very important. It's all about becoming a real person. A person who has something to say about their life. An independent person. And it's hell, because of course you are still dependent. The only time you are really your own person is when you are with other teens.

That is also why teens who fall into "bad company" do so very fervently and easily sail down a dangerous path.

Which causes, of course, extra alertness by the parents. Which causes the friction. The parents tighten the reins at a time when being an independent person is so very important.

What results is this huge resentment by the teen, and the fearful, frantic efforts by the parent to curb the teen.

I think having a place to chat amongst each other without adult interference is very important. And here may be the only place where they can meet like minded teens - smart ones who like science and think clearly about the world around them.

So I am all for keeping out of there. Yes, there should be an adult mod to make sure that all is safe for them in there. Yes, adults may read there, parents may just discover some interesting things about the life of their own offspring and that would be helpful to them.

But just jumping into conversations for no reason other than amusement - I think that is very wrong.

These teens are our future, and the older you get the more you will feel that in your bones. We need them to develop normally, to spike their own curiosity, to excell at whatever they put their mind to. They will be running things sooner than you think. Time flies.

So I find myself on their side in this. They should be able to have these conversations by and for themselves. If a mod sees a development that worries them, they can start a thread on the topic outside the teen forum. Everyone wll see it, and the teens will too.

Again, the important part is that they find other smart, thinking teens to interact with. Adults are always available anyway to listen if needed. Let's not carry the generation gap into this community. We're smarter than that here.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-11-2012, 06:59 AM
This is all too stupid. You don't want me there? Fine, just say so and I will no be bothering you youngsters anymore. Since I am immature as any other teen, I see no problems there, but what the hell...

Then I will ask you teens not to ask great Filox for advices in Technology by Filox subject. Why not, if you can, I can, suck it up and enjoy in equal treatment.

BTW Stark, what is wrong with bong in your children's room? You are a strange parent. You can have a bong, but your children can not? Hypocrite!

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
30-11-2012, 07:12 AM
(29-11-2012 10:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I was thinking about the whole privacy issue that was/is (?) going on and it got me to thinking....

I am the father of a teenager. I was thinking of her room as kinda like the teen section. Ya, sure, it's in my house, but it's her space, and I am very careful to be respectful of that. And I know I do a good job at it, since even she tells me she appreciates it, and she's a teenager! Nothin pleases a teenager! Wink

So you get the perspective right? But here's the part that seems so weird to me. On here, some adult goes stumbling into the teen forum, a few things happen. Adult spouts off like adults do, except they just keep spouting. The teenagers start bitching because the oaf adult wandered into their turf, but they don't just roll their eyes, they start asking for fucking padlocks.

But here in my home, I stumble in, like the oaf I am. So long as I don't do something dumb like kick over the bong, they just kinda roll their eyes in that oh-brother-the-goofy-old-guys-here-again look. They think it's cute, I say something dumb and old sounding, but in the end, no one really minds at all.

Still with me?

Good, cuz I figured it out!

Here's how it works: here at home, I benefit from stumbling in because I get the chance to check in. Just makin sure there's not actually a bong in there, and that everyone's safe. I'm a dad. It's what I do.
They benefit because they get to ask when the food's ready. They know I'm making something, cuz I'm always making something, and they want to eat it. Because they always want to eat, and if they don't they get very unpleasant.

But here on the forum, there ain't no food, so us bustin in on them has no benefit.

Solution:
Send food to TTA teenagers.

No wonder I'm the admin. Drinking Beverage

Do they have a FAX number? I can FAX some Thanksgiving leftovers. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Or how about they just be grateful that they have a section dedicated to them (even though the threads fit elsewhere just as easily) that they are currently wasting by barely posting in.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post