A thought just occured to me concerning Genesis and creation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
A thought just occured to me concerning Genesis and creation.
I've never given it any thought before and never heard it brought up in discussion. Why did it take God 6 days to create the Earth, heavens, stars, etc? Did God have to think about what he was going to do next? If he's all powerful and all knowing then I would assume that he should have know eons before creation that one day he would want to create a universe. And since he would have already known what his plan was he could have just created it instantaneously. Can God not see his own future? And speaking of God's decision making, why does God need to decide something. He decided that what he created was good. Could it just have easily turned out bad?

God sure has a lot of human characteristics.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
RE: A thought just occured to me concerning Genesis and creation.
Might have to get a YEC, OEC, or a PC to answer this one... maybe Sharks or Weirdkid? I'm not sure of their position.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
(10-01-2012 09:31 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I've never given it any thought before and never heard it brought up in discussion. Why did it take God 6 days to create the Earth, heavens, stars, etc? Did God have to think about what he was going to do next? If he's all powerful and all knowing then I would assume that he should have know eons before creation that one day he would want to create a universe. And since he would have already known what his plan was he could have just created it instantaneously. Can God not see his own future? And speaking of God's decision making, why does God need to decide something. He decided that what he created was good. Could it just have easily turned out bad?

It's called poetic license; the myth reads well that way.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
this ^^^

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
(10-01-2012 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 09:31 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I've never given it any thought before and never heard it brought up in discussion. Why did it take God 6 days to create the Earth, heavens, stars, etc? Did God have to think about what he was going to do next? If he's all powerful and all knowing then I would assume that he should have know eons before creation that one day he would want to create a universe. And since he would have already known what his plan was he could have just created it instantaneously. Can God not see his own future? And speaking of God's decision making, why does God need to decide something. He decided that what he created was good. Could it just have easily turned out bad?

edit.

Apparently I can't delete a post.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
(10-01-2012 09:58 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  

edit.

Apparently I can't delete a post.

It's a good question, and that's a pretty good answer. It is mythology, so you're supposed to get kind of excited about the story. Think how much more boring it would be to read: "In the Beginning, God created everything."

But I was just thinking about this same question last night when I was watching a creationist biology teacher talk on a video on some other thread I can't find right now. He couldn't comprehend why God would need to use evolution and the Big Bang to create when his God is powerful enough to create in 6 days. I wanted scream at the idiot, "So your God isn't powerful enough to create everything with a snap of the fingers? He has to take 6 days to do it all? And then in a matter of a few centuries He decides it's evil and wants to wipe it all out?"

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
10-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Poetic license only works if you don't believe that the bible is literal truth. Otherwise it doesn't work at all.
In which case germany has a point. But it has to sit there right along side all the other points against the bible being a literal work. Adam and Eve... talking snake.... noah.... we know em all. It usually starts out like "If God can do anything why would he...." insert anything found within the bible.
I boil it all down to "If god... then why?" because to me saying god did anything, doesn't even begin to answer any questions. Why god?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM

What i love most about this story is that everytime he does something it states "It was good".

So i can imagine this lone guy all lonesome and alone.... with his harry potter wand...creating shit..and each time giving himself a High 5 and saying "Right on man, that is some frakkin awesome ocean you just did bro", "Yeah, but check this out...look at that moon, man that is some good shit!"

The whole self dialoge thing amuses me SO much. Like a 4 year old in his room plaing alone with his action figures.

God played with his wee wee on the 7th day...and it WAS GOOD! Woo Hoo!!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Denicio's post
10-01-2012, 10:30 AM
(10-01-2012 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Might have to get a YEC, OEC, or a PC to answer this one... maybe Sharks or Weirdkid? I'm not sure of their position.

Who cares about their position?
YOU claim to believe in god, so what is your opinion?
Seems like your god had no clue about what was being done.
10-01-2012, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 10:42 AM by kineo.)
A Christian layman might suggest that this was simply God's plan to lay out the 7 pattern for the day week; with 6 days of work and 1 day of rest, the Sabbath. Not that he needed to take 7 days, or that there was a decision-making process as he progressed in creation, but that he wanted man to follow his lead. An apologist may use the same argument, not sure...

Obviously we can say that the 7 day week preceded the Bible; and we can assume it was written in as a way of adding divine authority to the 6 days of work and 1 day of rest.
(10-01-2012 10:26 AM)Denicio Wrote:  What i love most about this story is that everytime he does something it states "It was good".

So i can imagine this lone guy all lonesome and alone.... with his harry potter wand...creating shit..and each time giving himself a High 5 and saying "Right on man, that is some frakkin awesome ocean you just did bro", "Yeah, but check this out...look at that moon, man that is some good shit!"

The whole self dialoge thing amuses me SO much. Like a 4 year old in his room plaing alone with his action figures.

God played with his wee wee on the 7th day...and it WAS GOOD! Woo Hoo!!

D

Sort of like this:

[Image: Ktcd2.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post