A thread for people to call me a "woo".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2017, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 01:06 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: A thread for people to call me a "woo".
(04-11-2017 11:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:  If you say to any Aussie...

"A bloke lives out woop woop" he'll know immediately where he lives. Tongue

Australian here.

I think that phrase can mean either; a man lives in the middle of nowhere. is insane, or some bogan is trying to insult a Mediterranean household but can't speak properly...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
05-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Taboo woo.

05-11-2017, 01:30 AM
Noted crackpot.

05-11-2017, 03:40 AM
If Oprah Winfrey likes your stuff enough to feature it on her show, you'll probably get rich. Your book, your DVDs, your show… your hideously fraudulent woo.

Filming a daily daytime talk show for twenty years naturally means that there'll be a lot of time to fill. Sadly, Winfrey chose to fill this time with woo promoters. She was a relentless promoter of pseudoscience, some relatively benign, but a lot downright dangerous:

• Jenny McCarthy's anti-vaccine hysteria was a dangerous thing to push, and it was that which got even the mainstream media calling her out, notably when Newsweek ripped her a new one in point-by-point detail.
• John Edward, the rockstar of psychics was a repeat guest on her show.
• Winfrey promoted a process called "thermage," which purports to rejuvenate skin with radio waves, but that runs risks including scarring.
• Dean Radin, who believes that we can physically alter reality simply by wishing hard enough was a guest on her show.
• Promoting "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, based on the earlier film of the same name. It was based on the pseudo-scientific "law of attraction".
• Winfrey promoted James Arthur Ray who served time in prison for causing the deaths of three people in his controversial sweat lodge woo.
• Deepak Chopra was a guest on her show. Together, they sell a meditation program.
• General "Big Pharma" whackery as well, of course.

Regular past guest woo-peddlers:
• Mehmet Oz,
• Christiane Northrup,
• Suzanne Somers.

Sad

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-11-2017, 05:47 AM
(05-11-2017 03:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  If Oprah Winfrey likes your stuff enough to feature it on her show, you'll probably get rich. Your book, your DVDs, your show… your hideously fraudulent woo.

Filming a daily daytime talk show for twenty years naturally means that there'll be a lot of time to fill. Sadly, Winfrey chose to fill this time with woo promoters. She was a relentless promoter of pseudoscience, some relatively benign, but a lot downright dangerous:

• Jenny McCarthy's anti-vaccine hysteria was a dangerous thing to push, and it was that which got even the mainstream media calling her out, notably when Newsweek ripped her a new one in point-by-point detail.
• John Edward, the rockstar of psychics was a repeat guest on her show.
• Winfrey promoted a process called "thermage," which purports to rejuvenate skin with radio waves, but that runs risks including scarring.
• Dean Radin, who believes that we can physically alter reality simply by wishing hard enough was a guest on her show.
• Promoting "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, based on the earlier film of the same name. It was based on the pseudo-scientific "law of attraction".
• Winfrey promoted James Arthur Ray who served time in prison for causing the deaths of three people in his controversial sweat lodge woo.
• Deepak Chopra was a guest on her show. Together, they sell a meditation program.
• General "Big Pharma" whackery as well, of course.

Regular past guest woo-peddlers:
• Mehmet Oz,
• Christiane Northrup,
• Suzanne Somers.

Sad

None of which I subscribe to.

I am not Keir Cutler, btw, I posted his videos because he talks about academic and intellectual integrity and the use of ad hominems. (since you didn't bother to view the videos)
05-11-2017, 06:03 AM
[Image: self-pity-quotes.png?w=500]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2017, 06:06 AM
(04-11-2017 08:20 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  WOOps. I stand corrected by PM from a fellow member. (Thanks, by the way.) Last post before today was, er, um November 2, not February 11. I just can't get used to that bass-ackwards way of listing dates. Anyway. Carry on.

Open up "User CP", then "Edit options", and you can change the date and time formats to ones that you are used to.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-11-2017, 08:05 AM
(04-11-2017 04:27 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  It's an object lesson. It's about spending a considerable amount of energy responding to someone who legitimately and very politely asked me to elaborate on a long post. I did so, and some c.nt then carried on with an endless troll of my thread calling me names and demeaning me, for no apparent reason. I've never posted anything as far as I can recall in response to anything he has posted and certainly never trolled an entire thread of his.

There are two rules, it seems, here. It's not ok to post something thoughtful based on...hmmm...60 years of life experience...expect to be called a woo for no reason. But, it is ok to insult people, ie., troll them over long periods of time for no reason.

It seems that some people here pride themselves on academic rigour even from people who admit they are just trying to understand a subject and are not expert and some pride themselves on pedantry, always pointing out typos and minor grammatical errors. That seems to suggest there is some imperative here to maintain the intellectual integrity of the forum, which I get. But, there's a tolerance of really ignorant, endless trolling which only makes the forum look like it's inhabited by a bunch of 8th graders.

WTF are you on about? No one reads all the threads. I've never read anything you've posted before you self-obsessed cunt. Woo? How would I know, why should I care?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
05-11-2017, 08:08 AM
I absolutely refuse to post anything on this thread.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
05-11-2017, 08:22 AM
(05-11-2017 06:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: self-pity-quotes.png?w=500]

WeepingWeeping

You're so mean to me. Boo hoo...

Woo...woo...

Popcorn