A thread that only allows teens in.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: A thread that only allows teens in.
(08-04-2014 04:58 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:52 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Like I said before pms can be sent yes, but it would be much easier if teens can see it. Also what if I just want to talk about a thing teens can only understand that is more like a playful situation. PMing people for that reason sounds boring.

I guess... Consider

But honestly, think about it. You close off a section of the forums to teens only and there's not gonna be much activity. You'll have like, what? Maybe 5 active members at any one time? Just keep it open.

Also, who cares if the adults see it? They were kids once too that probably went through the same shit. They'll just chalk it up to "being a kid" and move on. I really doubt they're going to judge you for something you post here and they're not even suppose to read...

Well that is of course if teens don't find out that they can vent off here without there parents knowing. My dad found out that I liked atheist stuff on facebook and forced me to unlike all of it. So teens that can sneak here can ask advice about how teens should be able to handle being an atheist as a teen. And this time it is different, because many adults became atheist after their teenage years. Also adults tend to judge teens. Again sometimes you might just want agreement because of understanding. For example my mom is a neat freak, and only people that understand the pain is other teenagers. In fact adults say deal with it because they are not teens anymore. So because they are not teens they can tell you this because they don't have to deal with it anymore.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
(08-04-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:52 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I am. I like to think I'm fair and balanced at least. So convince me and I'll let you know if you get some where. Otherwise I totally understand your real life position, but that doesn't necessarily affect our online life. People here are a lot different bro.

You are right but I must address some things. Online adults can be like they are in real life. Some people have a natural mothering or fathering side. So if they see me post something, they can intervene. The difference is that I can stop talking if I see a n adult around, but online once I post it, the post is there for them to see. You can argue that they can intervene after they hear you speak, but you can whisper below them being able to hear you loudly unless they are in the room with you.

Then say that you don't want their advice. They have to respect that since this is the teen section.

Notice how there are no adults in this debate. Did they post? Yes, but are they a constant force? No.

So, again, who cares?

Atir aissom atir imon
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
(08-04-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You are right but I must address some things. Online adults can be like they are in real life. Some people have a natural mothering or fathering side. So if they see me post something, they can intervene. The difference is that I can stop talking if I see a n adult around, but online once I post it, the post is there for them to see. You can argue that they can intervene after they hear you speak, but you can whisper below them being able to hear you loudly unless they are in the room with you.

Yeah that would not change. Even if this happens the FT would still have access and if anything would pay much more attention to that section than they do now. So far it really seems unnecessary and just a case of "But those guys got a section".

Again no. If less adults entered the thread then I wouldn't ask. Even if the adults didn't get a section I would still ask. I know that the mods as adults still need to watch. I understand that point. It is just no posting. Now if adults say they will promise to never post their then it will be fine.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
(08-04-2014 05:02 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You are right but I must address some things. Online adults can be like they are in real life. Some people have a natural mothering or fathering side. So if they see me post something, they can intervene. The difference is that I can stop talking if I see a n adult around, but online once I post it, the post is there for them to see. You can argue that they can intervene after they hear you speak, but you can whisper below them being able to hear you loudly unless they are in the room with you.

Then say that you don't want their advice. They have to respect that since this is the teen section.

Notice how there are no adults in this debate. Did they post? Yes, but are they a constant force? No.

So, again, who cares?

There is also a habit of adults entering teen business even if they are asked not to, and this is in real life. On the internet there is even less force. In fact it is even more useless to try.

08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
(08-04-2014 05:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yeah that would not change. Even if this happens the FT would still have access and if anything would pay much more attention to that section than they do now. So far it really seems unnecessary and just a case of "But those guys got a section".

Again no. If less adults entered the thread then I wouldn't ask. Even if the adults didn't get a section I would still ask. I know that the mods as adults still need to watch. I understand that point. It is just no posting. Now if adults say they will promise to never post their then it will be fine.

I would recommend you sit down and organize your thoughts on this. Give some good reasons for why you think this is needed and how it would be implemented. Right now as it stands I would not be in favor of the change. It seems to add additional work for the FT for no real gain.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
(08-04-2014 04:58 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:52 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Like I said before pms can be sent yes, but it would be much easier if teens can see it. Also what if I just want to talk about a thing teens can only understand that is more like a playful situation. PMing people for that reason sounds boring.

I guess... Consider

But honestly, think about it. You close off a section of the forums to teens only and there's not gonna be much activity. You'll have like, what? Maybe 5 active members at any one time? Just keep it open.

Also, who cares if the adults see it? They were kids once too that probably went through the same shit. They'll just chalk it up to "being a kid" and move on. I really doubt they're going to judge you for something you post here and they're not even suppose to read...

Why should traffic be an argument here? If teens were the primary targets, and the section is closed off to anyone but teens, then theoretically, the ideal traffic wouldn't have changed at all.

I don't know, but that argument never made much sense to me. And who cares if Adults see it?

Are you pretty self-confident? Do you view yourself in a positive light? The reason I ask these questions is that some teens don't and because they don't, they don't feel comfortable sharing their problems with people (especially people they view as unable to understand, or they somehow feel that they need to talk/ act differently when an adult can be in the midst.) unless certain criteria are met (like privacy and non-judgmental attitudes. This is supported by the fact that therapy employs both in their sessions.)<--- This trope is self-evident, and even you can agree that teens act different (I dare say more open) when they are conversing with their own age group with the security of knowing that are free from parental and adult judgment.

You argument about them thinking Oh, its just kids being kids is a gross generalization.

The intent of the teen section was to help teens (who happen to be atheists, and those who aren't) with problems. Problems that other teens have experienced and can give good, practical advice.

At the time, I was having some serious problems, and I didn't know where to turn to get the help, and I wanted a teens perspective... So I suggested a section where teens can have that kind of help.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Okay. So what I have so far:
  • Pm-ing is useless
  • We have an open section that needs more privacy
Okay, so why don't we make a new rule. Since I don't agree with totally kicking all the crusty old farts off our lawn, why don't we have like... a sign or something. Like you gotta post [TO] in your title for "teens only", then if any adults post in there a mod can remove the post. That sound better?

Atir aissom atir imon
08-04-2014, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 05:14 PM by Metazoa Zeke.)
(08-04-2014 05:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 05:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Again no. If less adults entered the thread then I wouldn't ask. Even if the adults didn't get a section I would still ask. I know that the mods as adults still need to watch. I understand that point. It is just no posting. Now if adults say they will promise to never post their then it will be fine.

I would recommend you sit down and organize your thoughts on this. Give some good reasons for why you think this is needed and how it would be implemented. Right now as it stands I would not be in favor of the change. It seems to add additional work for the FT for no real gain.

Really I just want it to be teens only. If adults can stay out of their without the restrictions I will be happy. Another thing I don't get is why adults go to see it in the first place? Why do they post in the teen section if they are not teens? Is their a point? Hell it even says that adults had their turns as teenagers so why go. So really I am looking for a way to discourage adults from posting their at all.

08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
(08-04-2014 05:09 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:58 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I guess... Consider

Why should traffic be an argument here? If teens were the primary targets, and the section is closed off to anyone but teens, then theoretically, the ideal traffic wouldn't have changed at all.

I don't know, but that argument never made much sense to me. And who cares if Adults see it?

Are you pretty self-confident? Do you view yourself in a positive light? The reason I ask these questions is that some teens don't and because they don't, they don't feel comfortable sharing their problems with people (especially people they view as unable to understand, or they somehow feel that they need to talk/ act differently when an adult can be in the midst.) <--- This trope is self-evident, and even you can agree that teens act different (I dare say more open) when they are conversing with their own age group with the security of knowing that are free from parental and adult judgment.

You argument about them thinking Oh, its just kids being kids is a gross generalization.

The intent of the teen section was to help teens (who happen to be atheists, and those who aren't) with problems. Problems that other teens have experienced and can give good, practical advice.

At the time, I was having some serious problems, and I didn't know where to turn to get the help, and I wanted a teens perspective... So I suggested a section where teens can have that kind of help.

Fair enough. No argument here. Why don't you argue for TPF? Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
08-04-2014, 05:16 PM
(08-04-2014 04:55 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 04:50 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You can get some where with it, but I doubt it's enough. Once again, with the low number of teens here you can just use pms. It would be better to start a thread where all teens are listed for pms with personal support.

And this begs the question of how many PMs we can send out to many people about topics such as Peer pressure, the urge to drink, etc. Not to mention that if it were in PMs, the good advice some of us teens can give will not be viewed by newbie teens until they PM us, causing us to repeat the advice again and again, while a thread post can be open to all of the teens to see and reuse, regardless of when they just joined.

Again, just a thought.

This would still work, regardless if there is a restriction or not. It was one of the reasons I suggested a teen section.

this is a great argument

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....