A typical moral debate with a fundie(dialogue)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 07:40 AM
A typical moral debate with a fundie(dialogue)
Fundie- Atheists have no foundation for morals for morals but Christians do therefore Christianity is correct

Atheist -Really now Christianity has the foundations of morality do tell

Fundie-(employs divine command theory) See whatever god commands is good and disobedience is evil

Atheist- But why is it good if good commands it what about him commanding it makes it good and makes disobedience evil?

Fundie Umm because god?....

(switching tactics Fundie moves onto the nature argument)

Fundie-You see gods nature is good and evil is that which is not gods nature

Atheist-why should gods nature be considered good and that which is not gods nature be bad?

Fundie- Because gods nature ........

(Fundie switches to creation principle)

Fundie-God created the universe and everything in it including you therefore he has the right to dictate

Atheist-So what about him creating the universe means he owns it what entitles him to it ? .Why can't i dispute this claim and say he created but doesn't own it? and why should i care about his commands even if the above were true?

Fundie If you don't your a thief and he has the right to punish you

Atheist-You still have not justified the above and how can i steal from a god theft implies a form of victimization but a god can never be a victim

(frustrated the fundie uses his last resort)

Fundie- If you don't repent your going to hell so there theist says smiling

Atheist -Even if your religion were true it makes no difference really heaven or hell both are evil in there own way

(Fundies head promptly explodes)

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2016, 08:49 AM
RE: A typical moral debate with a fundie(dialogue)
(26-08-2016 07:40 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Fundie- Atheists have no foundation for morals for morals but Christians do therefore Christianity is correct

Atheist -Really now Christianity has the foundations of morality do tell

Fundie-(employs divine command theory) See whatever god commands is good and disobedience is evil

Atheist- But why is it good if good commands it what about him commanding it makes it good and makes disobedience evil?

Fundie Umm because god?....

(switching tactics Fundie moves onto the nature argument)

Fundie-You see gods nature is good and evil is that which is not gods nature

Atheist-why should gods nature be considered good and that which is not gods nature be bad?

Fundie- Because gods nature ........

(Fundie switches to creation principle)

Fundie-God created the universe and everything in it including you therefore he has the right to dictate

Atheist-So what about him creating the universe means he owns it what entitles him to it ? .Why can't i dispute this claim and say he created but doesn't own it? and why should i care about his commands even if the above were true?

Fundie If you don't your a thief and he has the right to punish you

Atheist-You still have not justified the above and how can i steal from a god theft implies a form of victimization but a god can never be a victim

(frustrated the fundie uses his last resort)

Fundie- If you don't repent your going to hell so there theist says smiling

Atheist -Even if your religion were true it makes no difference really heaven or hell both are evil in there own way

(Fundies head promptly explodes)

My answer would be that Christianity is false and can't provide a basis for anything that is true given that it reduces to subjectivism.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-08-2016, 12:41 PM
If I had this conversation I'd have to bring up all the evil and non-sensical moral laws in the Bible starting with the Ten Commandments, why a law to keep the Sabbath holy but not against rape, slavery, kidnapping, cruel punishment, etc.? Why is not working on one day of the week to remember that God is awesome so important?

They know it makes no sense and we can't trust this God to be a true objectively moral being if his own believers disagree with his moral standards and use their own morality to make that judgement on him, it's all subjective.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
26-08-2016, 01:59 PM
My favorite is saying if there is no god then we can't call what Hitler did evil; except their god DID do what Hitler did according to their own book. In fact he did it twice and did it worse (flooded the world and killed almost everything and then later wiped out all of Canaan).
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
26-08-2016, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 02:47 PM by Gloucester.)
Yup, seen the pattern so very often in forums.

Dodging, ducking, diving, deliberately diverting discussion - dunces!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
26-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Carry one of these, and you'll never have to debate a fundie again.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.