A very important article

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2011, 04:52 PM
A very important article
I think everyone should read this article

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-bot...op-saying/

P.S. Off to midnight mass soon. Even though you don't believe there is few things nicer than a good choir at christmas

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post
24-12-2011, 06:02 PM
RE: A very important article
Great article, agree with all 4 points. People really just need to be more respectful towards each other and we'll all be happier.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Cracked is generally a good source for articles. Nice to hear the argument and I agree with the man. I've never really seen the impactful strength of the phrase god is not great though (hear it plenty >.>). I was fine with it being a book title, but the phrase has been going on for a long time. Hitchens just knew not many books had that title. As far as the spaghetti monster, I'm ok with the use of mockery, and I'm ok with discussing fairy tells, but I'm not really interested in the sarcastic tone that plenty use to diminish the importance of the opposition. We're not too bad here, but we always fall into a few debate faux pas I guess it's inevitable when you keep debating though.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-12-2011, 07:03 PM
(24-12-2011 06:02 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  Great article, agree with all 4 points. People really just need to be more respectful towards each other and we'll all be happier.

Sure. Until next time when we have to vote something related to human rights or education, or the constitution, or the political agenda in the future elections and so on.

I agree with you half of the way tho. You and I should definitely try to respect each other if we're going to live on the same planet. Atheism and Christianity can't and won't respect each other. Ever. Their relationship is based on the wish that the other group would disappear or at least that they become insignificant and ridiculous. There is simply no chance of reconciliation.

You may like it here because we have some interesting topics and because some of our conversations are entertaining, but mostly, you came here to know your enemy and/or to try to win over a few lost souls and/or to sharpen your faith on our petrified hearts and/or because debates are fun. It's OK, I don't have a problem with that because experience works both ways and, in most cases, you will receive a level of respect close to the one you are willing to offer.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
25-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I liked

10 things christians and Atheists should agree on

better

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
25-12-2011, 08:02 AM
(24-12-2011 06:13 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Cracked is generally a good source for articles. Nice to hear the argument and I agree with the man. I've never really seen the impactful strength of the phrase god is not great though (hear it plenty >.>). I was fine with it being a book title, but the phrase has been going on for a long time. Hitchens just knew not many books had that title. As far as the spaghetti monster, I'm ok with the use of mockery, and I'm ok with discussing fairy tells, but I'm not really interested in the sarcastic tone that plenty use to diminish the importance of the opposition. We're not too bad here, but we always fall into a few debate faux pas I guess it's inevitable when you keep debating though.

Geez, you're so much like me... and I hope you take that as a compliment. I imagine you spend most of your time like I do - doing blow off a hooker's tits. No? Well, at least we both read Cracked.

I read the article, and wasn't impressed. It could've been summed up as "prejudice will usually lead you to a wrong conclusion". And I agree with you on the sarcastic tone - but that's Gladstone, and that's why I tend to finish his articles with a bad taste in my mouth, even if I agree with him.

I love Cracked. To quote an XKCD comic, I'd read "10 Common Uses for Ancient Incan Headdresses" if they posted it on Cracked.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2011, 01:43 PM
(25-12-2011 07:25 AM)The_observer Wrote:  I liked

10 things christians and Atheists should agree on

better

#1 is wrong. No one has ever committed genocide or any other atrocity in the name of atheism.

#3 is wrong. In everyday life, fundamentalists vote for or choose theocracy, religious people heap scorn on atheists.

#5 is wrong. My point of view is my business; I can state it with calmness or I can be a dick.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-12-2011, 02:31 PM
(25-12-2011 01:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  #1 is wrong. No one has ever committed genocide or any other atrocity in the name of atheism.

Are we allowed to suggest possible examples where atheism possibly accompanied such acts?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Go right ahead Erxomai, feel free to discuss an article the list of 10 is on topic enough. There's just a lot of people on this forum who go up in arms at the mention of Stalin.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-12-2011, 02:51 PM
(25-12-2011 02:32 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Go right ahead Erxomai, feel free to discuss an article the list of 10 is on topic enough. There's just a lot of people on this forum who go up in arms at the mention of Stalin.

Stalin is a tired subject for atheists. He killed from paranoia and to spread Communism. Some people would call Communist a religious-like worldview. And worldview is really what it would come down to in attempting to understand how genocide could occur. No one I know of has ever raised the Flag of Atheism on a physical battleground, but can we say there has never been an Atheist who has commanded mass murder for his own designs?

(Flag raising does happens now on the internet in the age of Militant Atheists...sidebar, how much longer will it be until our movement develops Ultra Neo Con Fundy Terrorists who bomb churches and burn Bibles?

So, no I don't have a name of an army that has raised the banner of atheism. But I can't help but wonder how that world view might play out in the mind of someone who is already demented in some other ways of thinking. Not all atheists are the same. I assume for Chas, it goes into a very humanistic way of thinking. But there's no requirement that an atheist also be a humanist. Get a psychopath thinking there is no God but himself, and see how the world looks when he's through. Therefore, it would not surprise me to find that many atrocitizers (<-see what I did there?) did/do not believe in God so their megamaniacal charismas raise up a group scary people to kill off a bunch of other quite nice folk.

These are just ponderings with no specifics that were set off by the phrase, "No one has ever..."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post