A very stupid question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 12:15 PM
A very stupid question
Imagine there is a Christian man.

He gets married to a Christian woman.

Christian woman dies young.

Christian man marries another Christian woman.

Christian man and his second wife die.

They go to heaven.

First wife is there, waiting for her husband.

None of these people agreed to an eternity of polygamy.

What happens now? Consider

(Rinse, switch around, and repeat for Christian woman and her Christian husbands. But not Christian man and his husbands or Christian woman and her wives, cause they're abominations.)

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
06-07-2015, 12:31 PM
RE: A very stupid question
If it was a husband in heaven with many wives, that would be okay since the Bible has stories of men having multiple wives or concubines. If it's okay on earth-- why not heaven?

If it was a woman with multiple husbands...There is Paul in corinthians--Paul said it was best that she not remarry. So no remarriage--no extra heavenly husbands. Additionally, *some* christians would say marriage is only binding here on earth.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
06-07-2015, 12:40 PM
(06-07-2015 12:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Additionally, *some* christians would say marriage is only binding here on earth.

And they would be correct. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
06-07-2015, 12:47 PM
(06-07-2015 12:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  ...
What happens now? Consider

I agree with your analysis ...

... it is, indeed, a very stupid question.

Tongue

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Well, I have outlived 2 husbands, and I expect to see them both in hell. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post
06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
(06-07-2015 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I have outlived 2 husbands, and I expect to see them both in hell. Tongue

Wanna go for the hat trick? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
06-07-2015, 01:13 PM
A very stupid question
I've heard a few explanations, but they usually revolve around the idea that marriage is a physical or worldly thing. Therefore upon death, there is no marriage because being one with Jeebus overrides all that icky physical mess.

I've also heard that believers become siblings with Jeebus, so your ex-spouse becomes your sibling in Heaven. Which to me sounds way too freaky.

Hence wedding vows with "until death do us part."
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
06-07-2015, 01:18 PM
(06-07-2015 12:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  What happens now? Consider

This is like asking "what really happens to the soul of an unbaptized baby?".

The answer will vary from apologist to apologist, but the correct answer is probably "nothing".
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-07-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 01:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-07-2015 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I have outlived 2 husbands, and I expect to see them both in hell. Tongue

You got me in trouble.
I'm at work, and laughed out loud at this, and they all wanted to know what's so funny. Weeping

Cat-0-lick theology says the sacrament is valid only until death ... which is why they allow remarriage if a spouse dies.
BUT, I heard about a prominent priest last week who was being "layicized" (or however it's spelled) so he can marry. Roman theology says Holy Orders last forever, so I asked "Hmm, how does THAT work ?" I got a dirty look, from the person who was telling us that. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2015, 01:45 PM
In Mark 12, the Sadducees posed a similar question to Jesus as a "test". Here's what he had to say:

"Then the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question.
“Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother.
Now there were seven brothers. The first one married and died without leaving any children.
The second one married the widow, but he also died, leaving no child. It was the same with the third.
In fact, none of the seven left any children. Last of all, the woman died too.
At the resurrectionc whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”
Jesus replied, “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?
When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.""

Like many a reader before you, you can interpret that any way you wish.

Doc
[+] 7 users Like docskeptic's post