A very stupid question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 06:11 AM
RE: A very stupid question
According to parts of the bibble like Revelation. All Heaven is for people is just praising God and bowing at all times. So they'd just be side by side praying I guess as it's not like you have a "personality" or essence of what your human Earth like life was.

You just seem to be a mindless drone up there in adoration of God.. I don't even know where our contemporary ideas of walking around in peaceful cloud footed beddings and living our life with our loved ones all around.

I'm peaking a curiosity of where that all comes from now anyway. It's not at all really in the bible except maybe some random OT garbled lines or Pslams. It's not even in Milton, and so much of the churchy nonsense is from Milton.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(07-07-2015 06:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Oh -- and a good soundtrack.............

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2015, 07:10 AM
(06-07-2015 12:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Imagine there is a Christian man.

He gets married to a Christian woman.

Christian woman dies young.

Christian man marries another Christian woman.

Christian man and his second wife die.

They go to heaven.

First wife is there, waiting for her husband.

None of these people agreed to an eternity of polygamy.

What happens now? Consider

(Rinse, switch around, and repeat for Christian woman and her Christian husbands. But not Christian man and his husbands or Christian woman and her wives, cause they're abominations.)

Some more heavenly fun:

A mass murderer kills several people, they go to heaven.

The mass murderer is caught and decides to ask forgiveness for his sins before they execute him for his crimes.

Mass murderer goes to heaven.

All of the victims of mass murderer when they see him trot through the pearly gates - WTF???!!!!

God points at victims - LaughatLaughatLaughat

Then god says - shut up and start worshiping me! BowingBowingBowing

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-08-2015, 01:24 PM

They go to heaven.

(Rinse, switch around, and repeat for Christian woman and her Christian husbands. But not Christian man and his husbands or Christian woman and her wives, cause they're abominations.)
There are no husbands and wives if they didn't make covenant in the Temple of God.
Men can have more than one wife in heaven. Take Abraham or Jacob for example.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-08-2015, 02:00 PM
(09-08-2015 01:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  

They go to heaven.

There are no husbands and wives if they didn't make covenant in the Temple of God.
Garbage like this is exactly what holds back equality from a rights perspective. First and foremost, temple marriage for time and all eternity is only practiced in the LDS church (period). Regardless of what some ancient man-made dribble states, none of the supposed 'eternal laws' hold weight in the real world or your pretend hereafter. Enjoy your continued brainwashing at the next relief society meeting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
09-08-2015, 02:01 PM
(06-07-2015 03:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Answer -- they decompose - just like everyone else.

That's what you do when you're dead.

Not me, I'll burn, one way or another. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-08-2015, 02:19 PM
(09-08-2015 01:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  

They go to heaven.

For those who don't care, or don't know what our delusional little mormon is babbling about....the followers of LDS actually believe that if you don't get married in their big Temple, to be granted eternal marriage, then you won't be reunited in the mythical celestial heaven. This is a cash cow for the Church and is a great source of money. Making it rain, mormon style. I remember my parents saving up for the trip. Rolleyes

"The Mormon temple is considered an earthly point of contact with higher spheres of being. Mormons believe that God is present in the temple space. This makes it a sacred place set aside to learn things that allow individuals to progress toward becoming like God -- the temple ordinances, especially celestial marriage, make "eternal progression toward Godhood" possible. The family unit is central to Mormonism, and the primary ritual function of the temple is to perform ceremonies that seal families together, thus allowing them to dwell together for eternity when they pass on to the celestial kingdom. The specific rituals supporting this function are marriage and family sealing ceremonies -- in which a husband, wife and children are officially bound together -- and baptism for the dead -- through which individuals who died without accepting the Latter-day Saints' Gospel and no longer possess the physical body required for baptism are represented by living proxies, thereby granting them the opportunity to join their families in the celestial kingdom.

The temple is also used to perform the Mormon endowment ceremony. During this ritual, adult Mormons go through a series of lessons and exercises to deepen their faith, and they make covenants with God to keep his commandments. After receiving their endowments, Latter-day Saints wear a distinctive underwear on which special marks are embroidered. Known as "garments", this underwear, worn next to the skin at nearly all times, is meant to remind individuals of their commitment to their faith and to God. Men generally receive their endowment before going on a mission and women before they marry, but it is not a one-time ceremony like baptism. Saints are encouraged to return to the temple throughout their lives to continue growing their faith by experiencing the rituals of endowment."(LDS.org)

Mormons generally use Matthew 16:19 to prove that marriage is for eternity or “…whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in Heaven…” In doing this, they fail to take into account the true meaning of this scripture. Jesus is speaking to Peter and the apostles and says,

“And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” (KJV).

The Biblical cross reference to this verse is John 20:23. The subject is the forgiveness of sins, not marriage. As theologian J. Carl Laney explains it, Christ was saying that “based on one’s response to the Gospel, the apostles could declare, ‘Because you have rejected Christ, you are bound to the law and to its penalty.’ Or, ‘Because you have received Christ, you are free from the law and its penalty’.” Christ “offers the disciples the privilege of giving assurance of the forgiveness of sins by correctly announcing the terms of forgiveness.” This passage in Matthew is not talking about marriage for eternity; the subject is the forgiveness of sins through Christ which was to be announced through His disciples.

In Romans 7:2 Paul says,

For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

So the statement of “until death do us part” or “as long as we both shall live” is in accordance with the Bible.

A concluding note: Although the Mormon temple marriage for eternity holds a very high priority in the life of a Mormon, it’s interesting that it cannot be found in the Book of Mormon. Yet, Joseph Smith said in Doctrine & Covenants 27:5 that the Book of Mormon was the “fullness of the everlasting gospel.” If it’s the complete gospel we should be able to find something on eternal marriage, as well as most of the doctrines of Mormonism. They can’t be found in the Book of Mormon.

ahhhhh mythology, isn't it fun.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
(09-08-2015 02:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  For those who don't care, or don't know what our delusional little mormon is babbling about....the followers of LDS actually believe that if you don't get married in their big Temple, to be granted eternal marriage, then you won't be reunited in the mythical celestial heaven.

Riddle me this GwoG. If I recall correctly when I read the BoM it seemed to me that when Mormons get married they are married forever, like all eternity forever. But I work with this Mormon machinist (great technician and great guy, always pleasant and willing to lend a hand however he can) who's been divorced and remarried three times. How do they reconcile being married forever with divorce? So confused.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-08-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 02:39 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(09-08-2015 02:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 02:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  For those who don't care, or don't know what our delusional little mormon is babbling about....the followers of LDS actually believe that if you don't get married in their big Temple, to be granted eternal marriage, then you won't be reunited in the mythical celestial heaven.

Riddle me this GwoG. If I recall correctly when I read the BoM it seemed to me that when Mormons get married they are married forever, like all eternity forever. But I work with this Mormon machinist (great technician and great guy, always pleasant and willing to lend a hand however he can) who's been divorced and remarried three times. How do they reconcile being married forever with divorce? So confused.

All comes down to patriarchal perspective of which most religions are based. A Mormon woman must receive a cancellation of sealing prior to remarrying if she wishes her next marriage to be sealed in the temple. However, because men are permitted to be sealed to more than one woman, they do not have to cancel a previous sealing in order to remarry in the temple. Rolleyes

Isn't that....convenient

Lets see what the official response is:

Who Can Have a Temple Divorce?
"When a couple wish to be married and sealed in the temple but either of them were previously sealed to an ex-spouse, they must first process some paperwork before they can be sealed together. There are also some specific guidelines and requirements that must first be met before a temple divorce will be granted. For a woman (called a sister) to receive a temple divorce she must be ready to be sealed to another man and the two of them must both be temple worthy and hold a current temple recommend.

Because a man can be sealed to more than one woman he does not need to have his temple sealing canceled to be able to be sealed to another woman, and a request to do so would most likely be refused unless his previous wife is ready to be sealed to another man and requests to have her temple sealing canceled. What a man does need, though, is permission to be sealed to another woman. This process is done through the bishop and must also be approved by the First Presidency."(LDS.about.com)

Yup, it appears I am still correct, not much has changed lol.

Retrieved on Aug 9, 2015 from: http://lds.about.com/od/temples/a/mormon_divorce.htm

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 02:53 PM
(09-08-2015 02:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  A Mormon woman must receive a cancellation of sealing prior to remarrying if she wishes her next marriage to be sealed in the temple.

So this whole married forever shit is just for show. Sealings apparently are provisional. That's even more fucked up than the Catholics and their marriage "annulments" justifying divorce and remarriage.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post