A very stupid question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: A very stupid question
(09-08-2015 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 02:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  A Mormon woman must receive a cancellation of sealing prior to remarrying if she wishes her next marriage to be sealed in the temple.

So this whole married forever shit is just for show. Sealings apparently are provisional. That's as fucked up as the Catholics and their marriage "annulments".

Annulments are purchased - with cash - so, if you have enough cash the Catholics are okay with pretending you were never married - bonus - this doesn't make the kids illegitimate.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-08-2015, 02:59 PM
(09-08-2015 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 02:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  A Mormon woman must receive a cancellation of sealing prior to remarrying if she wishes her next marriage to be sealed in the temple.

So this whole married forever shit is just for show. Sealings apparently are provisional. That's even more fucked up than the Catholics and their marriage "annulments" justifying divorce and remarriage.
Families CAN be forever together, not WIIL BE forever together. If I give a promise(make a covenant) it doesn't mean that I will be faithful to this covenant. I may break it. I may not keep my promise

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-08-2015, 03:05 PM
(09-08-2015 02:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  -- and baptism for the dead -- through which individuals who died without accepting the Latter-day Saints' Gospel and no longer possess the physical body required for baptism are represented by living proxies, thereby granting them the opportunity to join their families in the celestial kingdom.

The Catholics do this too - you can pay for mass to be read for the dead, which helps them to get to heaven. The bigger the church and the more popular the mass, the more expensive it is. So, if you choose Sunday morning mass in the cathedral to be devoted to your departed loved one, you pay a fortune but they are pretty much assured to make it into heaven. Some people have a mass read for each departed loved one once a year and it takes all the disposable income the elderly have to make sure they will meet their sinning relatives again in heaven.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-08-2015, 03:07 PM
(09-08-2015 02:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So this whole married forever shit is just for show. Sealings apparently are provisional. That's even more fucked up than the Catholics and their marriage "annulments" justifying divorce and remarriage.
Families CAN be forever together, not WIIL BE forever together. If I give a promise(make a covenant) it doesn't mean that I will be faithful to this covenant. I may break it. I may not keep my promise

Wouldn't that mean you are a liar? And isn't that frowned upon? Or can you pray that away?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Anjele and Dom,

Very true, it always comes down to money doesn't it?

Rolleyes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-08-2015, 03:08 PM
(09-08-2015 03:07 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Anjele and Dom,

Rolleyes

In the Catholic Church it sure does.

09-08-2015, 03:09 PM
(09-08-2015 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So this whole married forever shit is just for show. Sealings apparently are provisional. That's even more fucked up than the Catholics and their marriage "annulments" justifying divorce and remarriage.

Will you still go to heaven breaking a covenant with God and whatnot? In my Baptist upbringing that was the unforgivable sin. Not so with Mormons?

#sigh
09-08-2015, 03:10 PM
(09-08-2015 02:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Annulments are purchased - with cash - so, if you have enough cash the Catholics are okay with pretending you were never married - bonus - this doesn't make the kids illegitimate.

Hobo

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-08-2015, 03:12 PM

Another knowledge claim based on faith, not facts. You can not assert anything about the afterlife, and neither can anyone from any religion. No one knows, all the theological musings passed off as knowledge are based on fiction and fantasy, not fact. So when people say "eternal marriage" or "eternal family" that is conjecture and falsehoods. False as they cannot be proven. You can tapdance your way around scripture interpretation and the wonders of the LDS money driven doctrine, but in the end you don't KNOW anything. Remove the word KNOW and replace it with HOPE....or WISH.

Your religious beliefs typically depend on the community in which you were raised or lived. The spiritual experiences of people in ancient greece, medieval japan or 21st century saudia arabia do not lead to belief in christianity for example. It seems, therefore, that religious belief very likely tracks not truth but social conditioning.

Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before and done well. (Bering 2011, Harris 2004, Loftus 2010, 2013, McCormick 2012, Schick & Vaughn 2008, Shermer 1997, 2011, Smith 1979, STenger & Barker 2012, Torres 2012, Wade 2009 etc)

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence, than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This can not point one to the path of truth. Here are five points believers/non believers should be able to agree upon.

1) There are different faith traditions.
2) Different faith traditions make different truth claims.
3) The truth claims of some faith traditions contradict the truth claims of other faith traditions. For example, Muslims believe muhammad (570-632) was the last prophet (Sura 33:40). Mormons believe Joseph Smith (1805-1844), who lived after muhammad was a prophet.
4) It cannot both be the case that muhammad was the last prophet, and someone who lived after him was also a prophet.
5) Therefore: At LEAST one of these claims must be false....perhaps both....

It is impossible to figure out which of these claims is incorrect if the tool one uses is faith. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 03:13 PM
(09-08-2015 03:07 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Anjele and Dom,

Rolleyes

Yeppers

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post