A view on Religion.
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
05-01-2012, 05:39 PM
A view on Religion.
A View of Religion

A great man once said “I am absolutely convinced that the main source for hatred in the world is religion and organised religion” this man was Christopher Hitchens. Now you can put your speculations and assumptions aside because this is another baby eating and devil worshipping Atheist, well that’s what the theists will say. However brace yourselves it gets better for i'm an anti-theist too!

Before I proceed further down, what a theist might call the rabbit hole to hell; if you are a very devout theist click your mouse and get the hell outta here.
I won’t be feeding you endless and false reassurances that I consider religion to be a moral innovator and without it society would surely crumble, no. It would be hypocritical and I would be contradicting myself all through this blog. Come to think of it, it does remind me of a favourite book, a best seller I believe. Oh yes the Bible!

Genesis 1:31 - “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good”

Genesis 6:5 - “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every intention of thoughts of his hearts was only evil continually”

But I thought it was very good, the LORD said so and he’s never wrong. Wait there’s more?

Matthew 1:20 – “But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit”

Luke 1:28 – “The angel went to her and said, Greetings, you who are highly favoured! The Lord is with you.”

Okay so Matt and Luke please tell me who the angel went to?

No, religion is a vile, grotesque, vicious, vindictive, manipulative, oozing weapon of destruction, a disgusting pillar and symbol for fundamentalism and fanatical crusaders to rally under. This rant is intended to convey my deepest and critical thoughts on this nauseating repellent that is the institutional corporative machine; religion.

To the people reading this, that hold the idea that religion deserves unconditional respect, considers it unimportant to a topic of discussion or that it brings hope to the universe because some God is there to watch over us. Richard Dawkins has one thing to say to you “The universe doesn’t owe you a sense of hope” and as for a divine plan or benevolent God, the universe is a harsh realm. Every second a star will supernova neutralizing everything in its solar system and blasting harmful gamma radiation into outer space. Our Planet is a no safer mistress, Mother Nature will allow us to live on her planet as long as we are adapted to a certain environment which won’t freeze us to death or suffocate us from water. The planet we live on and out of all the species that have lived on it, 99% have gone extinct and that is no exaggeration. If this is a divine plan then I really don’t want to be a part of it.

Then Between all this natural genocide sits religion. On a throne of gold offering salvation, impervious to criticism and apparently state tax. Copying the actions of a genocidal nature, Religion then has the audacity to deny it and say that it is our fault because we sin. Sin a thing given to us by some mythical couple who lived in a mythical garden who stole an apple from a tree that contained the knowledge of good and evil. Although because religion is manmade, yes no God wrote this shamble of literature. It wasn't the couple who stole the apple it was the woman: Eve.

Other more fine examples of violations toward the female gender are found in the following:
• Deuteronomy 22:28-29
• Deuteronomy 22:24
• Numbers 31:17-18
• Numbers 31:40-41

It’s what I love most of all, when a woman will defend the very institution that perpetuated the oppression of her gender. You won’t find it now though, no you will never see a catholic priest violently harass a woman or any theist man pay a woman’s father 50 silver because he has raped her and is bound to marry her. It is because religion is not powerful, 300 years ago you’d see what Christianity was like. You're able to see exactly what Christianity was like if you go to any of the Islamic countries today.

That’s what religion is ladies and gentlemen its theocracy, dictatorship, the bee’s knees of totalitarianism and the dog’s bullocks of imperialism.

Although There are those that I consider the majority who themselves consider a theist of Christianity, Islam or maybe even the Jewish religion. If you are one of these people and claim to be a Christian but do not go to church every Sunday and pay a tithe, oppress women by making them silent when men speak or negate them of their equal rights, stone homosexuals, support slavery and segregate Jewish people or believe that the earth is less than 6000 years old then I regret to inform you that you are not a Christian. Oh and before you begin to revolt against what I’ve said, read your own holy book that is the instruction manual which shows you how to be a good christian.

The reason I bring this to the table is because there are those good people who do not do these things and I can assume you who is reading do not either. This means you are not a Christian however if you do believe in a higher power then try deism or something less Adolf and more Confucius. For I will be blunt which really goes without saying, if you are naming yourself a Christian then in my opinion you are supporting all the doctrines of Christianity and its actions. That's present and previous. For example if you were a true football fan of (insert club) you wouldn’t stop supporting them because they have season after season of abysmal games. No you’d support them and be unashamed by their lack of winning. The same is for Christianity and Catholicism you know it’s bad because you try to deny it’s evil history or just don’t support it and so you are not a true Christian or Catholic. Lastly wearing that obscene execution device around your neck does not mean you’re a Christian or wearing it with a dead man does not make you Catholic!

Religion is a delusion to me and is 'the' enemy of rational thought, logic and critical thinking and I am utterly convinced has no place in civilised society.

Now leave a comment below if you agree with what I say or if you disagree and consider child rape to be righteous if you are a Catholic, why genital mutilation is completely acceptable if your Jewish or why killing everything which is not Islamic if you’re a Jihadist, because I’d love to read what you have to say Smile

Religious? Oh...how unfortunate.

It's not that I don't like you or have a problem with you. It's just uncomfortable looking at that dying Jew on that cross, around your neck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like CaluMew's post
05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
RE: A view on Religion.
I swear I could hear a bit of Hitchens in that rant. Well done, sir.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
RE: A view on Religion.
Gonna take a stab at a few things I think were wrong with your post.

(05-01-2012 05:39 PM)CaluMew Wrote:  Genesis 1:31 - “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good”

Genesis 6:5 - “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every intention of thoughts of his hearts was only evil continually”

But I thought it was very good, the LORD said so and he’s never wrong. Wait there’s more?

It was very good. Then later, it wasn't good. I thought you would've come up with something better than that.


Quote:Matthew 1:20 – “But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit”

Luke 1:28 – “The angel went to her and said, Greetings, you who are highly favoured! The Lord is with you.”

Okay so Matt and Luke please tell me who the angel went to?

Pretty sure he appeared to both of them.

Quote:To the people reading this, that hold the idea that religion deserves unconditional respect, considers it unimportant to a topic of discussion or that it brings hope to the universe because some God is there to watch over us. Richard Dawkins has one thing to say to you “The universe doesn’t owe you a sense of hope” and as for a divine plan or benevolent God, the universe is a harsh realm. Every second a star will supernova neutralizing everything in its solar system and blasting harmful gamma radiation into outer space. Our Planet is a no safer mistress, Mother Nature will allow us to live on her planet as long as we are adapted to a certain environment which won’t freeze us to death or suffocate us from water. The planet we live on and out of all the species that have lived on it, 99% have gone extinct and that is no exaggeration. If this is a divine plan then I really don’t want to be a part of it.

I don't necessarily think religion should be given unconditional respect, but I think everyone, regardless of religion, should be given some level of respect and not have their beliefs attacked. Unless of course they invite the attacks by attacking you, your family or you have some other valid reason to be angry at them.

And yes, the Universe is a crazy place.



Quote: Although because religion is manmade, yes no God wrote this shamble of literature. It wasn't the couple who stole the apple it was the woman: Eve.

I don't think I've ever met someone who blamed Eve more than Adam.


Quote:Although There are those that I consider the majority who themselves consider a theist of Christianity, Islam or maybe even the Jewish religion. If you are one of these people and claim to be a Christian but do not go to church every Sunday and pay a tithe, oppress women by making them silent when men speak or negate them of their equal rights, stone homosexuals, support slavery and segregate Jewish people or believe that the earth is less than 6000 years old then I regret to inform you that you are not a Christian. Oh and before you begin to revolt against what I’ve said, read your own holy book that is the instruction manual which shows you how to be a good christian.


Oh joy, you're telling me how to be a Christian. I'd love to hear why you think I HAVE to do these things to be a Christian.

Quote:The reason I bring this to the table is because there are those good people who do not do these things and I can assume you who is reading do not either. This means you are not a Christian however if you do believe in a higher power then try deism or something less Adolf and more Confucius.

Hitler already? That was fast.

Quote: For I will be blunt which really goes without saying, if you are naming yourself a Christian then in my opinion you are supporting all the doctrines of Christianity and its actions. That's present and previous. For example if you were a true football fan of (insert club) you wouldn’t stop supporting them because they have season after season of abysmal games. No you’d support them and be unashamed by their lack of winning.

You're right, but if another fan kills someone or does something horrible, that doesn't mean I condone it.

Quote:The same is for Christianity and Catholicism you know it’s bad because you try to deny it’s evil history or just don’t support it and so you are not a true Christian or Catholic. Lastly wearing that obscene execution device around your neck does not mean you’re a Christian or wearing it with a dead man does not make you Catholic!

I don't deny there has been evil in its history. But that doesn't mean I support it. Does living in Canada mean I support the slaughter of Natives?

And I agree with your thoughts on wearing a crucifix. “Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.” G.K. Chesterton

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sharks9's post
05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
RE: A view on Religion.
Yeah, you pretty much have ZERO credibility when you evoke Godwin's Law. Lose it and never use it again if you want to be taken seriously.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 11:08 PM
RE: A view on Religion.
*takes a baseball bat and plants it into KC and Shark's head*

Damn... still not fixed... next!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
RE: A view on Religion.
Ok, Sharks took a stab at it, now it's my turn.

(05-01-2012 05:39 PM)CaluMew Wrote:  A View of Religion

A great man once said “I am absolutely convinced that the main source for hatred in the world is religion and organised religion” this man was Christopher Hitchens. Now you can put your speculations and assumptions aside because this is another baby eating and devil worshipping Atheist, well that’s what the theists will say. However brace yourselves it gets better for i'm an anti-theist too!

Time to start this off with a bang... all right... let's see.

1) First, who is your audience? If it's atheists, this whole rant, IMO seems rather silly... unless, of course, you're just blowing off steam. I'm assuming you're not, and that this is directed to agnostics, deists, and especially theists. So, that brings me to my second point...

2) Considering your assumed audience, you shouldn't preface your quotes with positive adjectives. Not many theists think Hitchens is a "great man" and they more than likely have no clue who he is. To them, you're either quoting a nobody or a vitriolic Christian hater. I would suggest picking someone like Jefferson or another Deist... I'm pretty sure they had some negative things to say about religion. That and most Theist consider them wonderful pillars of Christian forefatheryness.

3) Don't reveal your personal beliefs. This is absolutely the fastest way to get someone to stop reading that disagrees with you... which, again, I'm assuming you want to be reading this

Quote:Before I proceed further down, what a theist might call the rabbit hole to hell; if you are a very devout theist click your mouse and get the hell outta here.
I won’t be feeding you endless and false reassurances that I consider religion to be a moral innovator and without it society would surely crumble, no.

Not sure when "angsty" became cool, but, yeah. You've pretty much lost you're entire opposing audience here, and the only ones left are the ones that are in the circle jerk. If this is what you want, awesome. If not, lose it. There are a lot better ways to be firm and stalwart in your beliefs than rawring.

Quote:It would be hypocritical and I would be contradicting myself all through this blog. Come to think of it, it does remind me of a favourite book, a best seller I believe. Oh yes the Bible!

Saw this coming a mile away... but nothing wrong with it. Moving on.

Quote:Genesis 1:31 - “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good”

Oooooh boy. There are A LOT better verses you could misconstrue than this one. Okay, I'll help you out here. If you are going to nit-pick words in the Bible, then you had better reference the original Hebrew/Greek to make sure your zinger can actually zing. Any competent theist would have a field day with this. Here is the word's definition that you're nit-picking. Basically, this verse is saying that what He had made pleased Him... moving on.

Quote:Genesis 6:5 - “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every intention of thoughts of his hearts was only evil continually”

But I thought it was very good, the LORD said so and he’s never wrong. Wait there’s more?

Sin... man's depraved nature... the fall... whatever you want to call it. Take your pick. This is Christian Theology 101. This "zinger" is actually more like a "zi"... wait, no, I take that back. You don't even get a full "z" for that one. It's more of a ">".

Quote:Matthew 1:20 – “But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit”

Luke 1:28 – “The angel went to her and said, Greetings, you who are highly favoured! The Lord is with you.”

Okay so Matt and Luke please tell me who the angel went to?

Ummm, both... C'mon mang. You're really reaching here.

Quote:No, religion is a vile, grotesque, vicious, vindictive, manipulative, oozing weapon of destruction, a disgusting pillar and symbol for fundamentalism and fanatical crusaders to rally under. This rant is intended to convey my deepest and critical thoughts on this nauseating repellent that is the institutional corporative machine; religion.

Wow really? You got that from those four misinterpreted verses. Dang.

Don't waste much time trying to force an opinion do you? Another grammatical hint: Yes, using strong, descriptive words can strengthen your plea, but inundating a paragraph with it makes you look silly... and angry... and your audience, regardless of their beliefs, starts to not take you seriously.

Quote:To the people reading this, that hold the idea that religion deserves unconditional respect,

lol, lost them a long time ago, my friend.

Quote:considers it unimportant to a topic of discussion or that it brings hope to the universe because some God is there to watch over us. Richard Dawkins has one thing to say to you

And whatever theist is left reading this is saying in mocking tone, "Oh nooo, not Dick Dawkins!"

Quote: “The universe doesn’t owe you a sense of hope” and as for a divine plan or benevolent God, the universe is a harsh realm. Every second a star will supernova neutralizing everything in its solar system and blasting harmful gamma radiation into outer space. Our Planet is a no safer mistress, Mother Nature will allow us to live on her planet as long as we are adapted to a certain environment which won’t freeze us to death or suffocate us from water. The planet we live on and out of all the species that have lived on it, 99% have gone extinct and that is no exaggeration. If this is a divine plan then I really don’t want to be a part of it.

Not a single theist read this because they don't care. Just being honest. Want them to read it? Intro it with a plea not a condemnation.

Quote:Then Between all this natural genocide sits religion. On a throne of gold offering salvation, impervious to criticism and apparently state tax.
]

Religion is constantly scoffed at and condemned.

Quote:Copying the actions of a genocidal nature, Religion then has the audacity to deny it and say that it is our fault because we sin.

Okay, now you're just babbling. The only coherent part of that was that religion says it's our fault we sin... which, it... isn't? Humans aren't to be held accountable for their actions?

Quote:Sin a thing given to us by some mythical couple who lived in a mythical garden who stole an apple from a tree that contained the knowledge of good and evil. Although because religion is manmade, yes no God wrote this shamble of literature. It wasn't the couple who stole the apple it was the woman: Eve.

Ahhh, okay, I see what you're trying to say; although, I think you're being too wordy and poetic.

Also, you're probably not going to find a theist that thinks Eve is to be blamed solely.

Quote:Other more fine examples of violations toward the female gender are found in the following:
• Deuteronomy 22:28-29
• Deuteronomy 22:24
• Numbers 31:17-18
• Numbers 31:40-41

What? I have to look them up. UGH. Hold on.

...never mind, I already know the answers. Jewish laws/instructions was for the Jews.

Quote:It’s what I love most of all, when a woman will defend the very institution that perpetuated the oppression of her gender. You won’t find it now though, no you will never see a catholic priest violently harass a woman or any theist man pay a woman’s father 50 silver because he has raped her and is bound to marry her. It is because religion is not powerful, 300 years ago you’d see what Christianity was like. You're able to see exactly what Christianity was like if you go to any of the Islamic countries today.

Jewish laws and customs, etc.

Quote:That’s what religion is ladies and gentlemen its theocracy, dictatorship, the bee’s knees of totalitarianism and the dog’s bullocks of imperialism.

Oh crap, are we talking about other religions now, and not just Christianity. Shoot, when did this happen?

Quote:Although There are those that I consider the majority who themselves consider a theist of Christianity, Islam or maybe even the Jewish religion. If you are one of these people and claim to be a Christian but do not go to church every Sunday and pay a tithe, oppress women by making them silent when men speak or negate them of their equal rights, stone homosexuals, support slavery and segregate Jewish people or believe that the earth is less than 6000 years old then I regret to inform you that you are not a Christian.

lol ok

Quote:Oh and before you begin to revolt against what I’ve said, read your own holy book that is the instruction manual which shows you how to be a good christian.

mmmmokay. Done that. Now what?

Quote:The reason I bring this to the table is because there are those good people who do not do these things and I can assume you who is reading do not either.

Yes. Probably because I'm not an Israelite living under the Law of YHWH who provided strict commands for His chosen people in order to maintain and prepare the Messianic line. But what do I know? It's not like I've read the Bible like you have. Right?

Quote:This means you are not a Christian

Well dagblastit. I want my money back.

Quote:however if you do believe in a higher power then try deism or something less Adolf and more Confucius.

GODWINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote:For I will be blunt which really goes without saying,

No, it really does.

Quote:if you are naming yourself a Christian then in my opinion you are supporting all the doctrines of Christianity and its actions.

Yes. Yes. Yes... oh wait, I know where this is going...

Quote:That's present and previous. For example if you were a true football fan of (insert club) you wouldn’t stop supporting them because they have season after season of abysmal games. No you’d support them and be unashamed by their lack of winning.

Is this really necessary? I mean... give me a little credit... after all... did you ever WATCH the New Orleans Saints for the last ~40 years or so? Heck... even the Manning boys would wear bags over their heads when their daddy played.

Quote:The same is for Christianity and Catholicism

ZOMG... Catholicism is Christianity

Quote:you know it’s bad because you try to deny it’s evil history or just don’t support it and so you are not a true Christian or Catholic.

I thought we were talking about football? Anyway, pretty sure no Christian is denying the OT or the NT.

Quote:Lastly wearing that obscene execution device around your neck does not mean you’re a Christian or wearing it with a dead man does not make you Catholic!

I... lolwut? Yeah, now you've gone into full conniption fit mode.


Quote:Religion is a delusion to me and is 'the' enemy of rational thought, logic and critical thinking and I am utterly convinced has no place in civilised society.

Wow, see... this is nice. Why can't your whole rant be in this tone?

Quote:Now leave a comment below if you agree with what I say or if you disagree and consider child rape to be righteous if you are a Catholic, why genital mutilation is completely acceptable if your Jewish or why killing everything which is not Islamic if you’re a Jihadist, because I’d love to read what you have to say Smile

Wait... there is a theist still reading this?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-01-2012, 02:21 AM
RE: A view on Religion.
KC ... really? ... you know what ... TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER!... go .. go to your corner and sit.. don't speak.. don't look... cover yer ears and just stare at the wall.... your on time out restriction buddy! That last post was just .. just... gawh!!! .....

......... !

I said stare at the wall... !

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: A view on Religion.
(06-01-2012 02:21 AM)ddrew Wrote:  KC ... really? ... you know what ... TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER!... go .. go to your corner and sit.. don't speak.. don't look... cover yer ears and just stare at the wall.... your on time out restriction buddy! That last post was just .. just... gawh!!! .....

......... !

I said stare at the wall... !

You're just mad because you laughed and slightly agree with me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
RE: A view on Religion.
Quote:"Time to start this off with a bang... all right... let's see.

1) First, who is your audience? If it's atheists, this whole rant, IMO seems rather silly... unless, of course, you're just blowing off steam. I'm assuming you're not, and that this is directed to agnostics, deists, and especially theists. So, that brings me to my second point..."

I appreciate your advice, however the assumption that my target audience maybe theists, agnostics and deists is correct (I'll give you that) but atheists should be in there to. My primary goal however was to get a debate, I've got what I wanted so thank you.

Quote:3) Don't reveal your personal beliefs. This is absolutely the fastest way to get someone to stop reading that disagrees with you... which, again, I'm assuming you want to be reading this

Well OMG, theists don't consider an anti-theist to be a great man well I needed someone to tell me that. Remember who the author is, I'm an atheist so I'm predictable. Why would I use theist quotes they don't say anything interesting! As for Jefferson he was secular above his deism so I could have used his quotes, like this one:

“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.”

Oh, and please don't give me that shit about Jefferson and the forefathers being christian because the majority were in fact deist or atheist like Benjamin Franklin.

Quote:Not sure when "angsty" became cool, but, yeah. You've pretty much lost you're entire opposing audience here, and the only ones left are the ones that are in the circle jerk. If this is what you want, awesome. If not, lose it. There are a lot better ways to be firm and stalwart in your beliefs than rawring.

This really isn't worth saying much about considering my objective was a debate not to enlighten. Why would I try to preach, that's your game right?

Quote:Oooooh boy. There are A LOT better verses you could misconstrue than this one. Okay, I'll help you out here. If you are going to nit-pick words in the Bible, then you had better reference the original Hebrew/Greek to make sure your zinger can actually zing. Any competent theist would have a field day with this. Here is the word's definition that you're nit-picking. Basically, this verse is saying that what He had made pleased Him... moving on.

Gee thanks man, but no really bible quotes are pointless. Theists will either say what you said - misconstrue - or say that there's another meaning under it. However I agree there are many more quotes I could have used to convey contradiction.

Quote:Sin... man's depraved nature... the fall... whatever you want to call it. Take your pick. This is Christian Theology 101. This "zinger" is actually more like a "zi"... wait, no, I take that back. You don't even get a full "z" for that one. It's more of a ">".

Um i'll try to assume that, that was some sort of counter-argument and not a stroke? Next time try to gather some evidence maybe instead of "zinger".

Quote:Ummm, both... C'mon mang. You're really reaching here.

I know, I know there are better contradictions I could have mustered.

Quote:Wow really? You got that from those four misinterpreted verses. Dang.

Don't waste much time trying to force an opinion do you? Another grammatical hint: Yes, using strong, descriptive words can strengthen your plea, but inundating a paragraph with it makes you look silly... and angry... and your audience, regardless of their beliefs, starts to not take you seriously.

No, not at all. I gathered this opinion all on my own, I know its pretty awesome right! In all seriousness this opinion is really a well known fact that religion is all these things. You know this because you have no other way to say that it isn't and merely criticize my appeal to the audience (which because I want a debate is rather irrelevant) or like so many of your fellow theists forget the evidence. Please your obviously not going to take me serious however don't expect me to do the same.

Quote:lol, lost them a long time ago, my friend.

Oh, there it is again! Is this the best you have to offer. Really i'm still waiting for the evidence!

Quote:And whatever theist is left reading this is saying in mocking tone, "Oh nooo, not Dick Dawkins!

Ummmmm...okay, yep.

Quote:Not a single theist read this because they don't care. Just being honest. Want them to read it? Intro it with a plea not a condemnation.

Don't care? Don't care? Not a single Theist doesn't care? You contradict yourself there!

Quote:Religion is constantly scoffed at and condemned.

As it should be, it deserves what it gives.

Quote:Okay, now you're just babbling. The only coherent part of that was that religion says it's our fault we sin... which, it... isn't? Humans aren't to be held accountable for their actions?

This has to be the most pointless thing you've said. Oh and also wrong, it is our fault we sin, haven't you read the Bible. Humans are very much so held accountable for their actions...I really shouldn't have graced this with a response.

Quote:Ahhh, okay, I see what you're trying to say; although, I think you're being too wordy and poetic.

When is the ever lasting criticism of my wording or appealing to audiences going to end. Is there ever going to be a valid point or evidence to rebuttle what I've said. Probably not!

Quote:Also, you're probably not going to find a theist that thinks Eve is to be blamed solely.

No you're probably right but that would mean you haven't read the bible.

Quote:What? I have to look them up. UGH. Hold on.

...never mind, I already know the answers. Jewish laws/instructions was for the Jews.

You follow the ten commandments right? Well if you do they are originally Jewish, Jesus was Jesus...Most if not all of Christianity is derived from Judaism. Jewish laws/instructions are all you will ever follow as a christian.

Quote:Jewish laws and customs, etc.

Yeah, I've already covered this I think.

Quote:Oh crap, are we talking about other religions now, and not just Christianity. Shoot, when did this happen?

It would help to read the title - A view on Religion - oh but Christianity is the one true religion isn't it so all others are fake...right?

Quote:lol ok

Reinforces that what I've said is correct. I know, arrogant. But you have nothing to say meaning you either cannot prove me wrong or that you know i'm right yet pride or public embarrassment holds you back.

Quote:mmmmokay. Done that. Now what?

WOW! I'm surprised, have you really...It seems by what you have said that...hang on have you really read it? Let me recommend the King James Bible.

Quote:Yes. Probably because I'm not an Israelite living under the Law of YHWH who provided strict commands for His chosen people in order to maintain and prepare the Messianic line. But what do I know? It's not like I've read the Bible like you have. Right?

You really are kept in the dark. You don't know your own religious history? SHOCKING! But trust me your not the only one.

Quote:Well dagblastit. I want my money back.

Hmmm...

Quote:GODWINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

What, can't handle the truth?

Quote:ZOMG... Catholicism is Christianity

Yeesssss, there's so many versions these days: Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Protestantism etc...three of hundreds so who really cares.

Quote:I thought we were talking about football? Anyway, pretty sure no Christian is denying the OT or the NT.

Ok?

Quote:I... lolwut? Yeah, now you've gone into full conniption fit mode.

Hmmm...and I thought I was speaking the truth...maybe I should start considering if the world really is flat.

Quote:Wow, see... this is nice. Why can't your whole rant be in this tone?

Really? Even when I say that it doesn't belong in a civilized society?

Quote:Wait... there is a theist still reading this?

That would be you.

Right to generalize your critique I would say full of pointless arguments. Um...hardly gives any evidence and mainly, if not all, doesn't criticize any of my facts (not very well anyway). You merely have dodged all my arguments, substituting them with countless arguments for audiences which is pointless, you really think if I wanted theists reading this I post it on a theist site and not one which is titled "TheThinkingAtheist".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
KC's fallacy
(06-01-2012 12:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
Quote:Genesis 1:31 - “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good”

Oooooh boy. There are A LOT better verses you could misconstrue than this one. Okay, I'll help you out here. If you are going to nit-pick words in the Bible, then you had better reference the original Hebrew/Greek to make sure your zinger can actually zing. Any competent theist would have a field day with this. Here is the word's definition that you're nit-picking. Basically, this verse is saying that what He had made pleased Him... moving on.

KC, the masses don't read anything but the Bible in front of them. They don't go hunting down the Aramaic, Greek, or Hebrew, the supporting texts, or anything of the sort. They believe what is written in their own language, in their own Bible, as the Word according to their own minister.

People understand the Bible in that context. Your defense of some interpretation based on what some original text may or may not have said is largely irrelevant to anyone but theologians and Bible translators.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
Post Reply
Forum Jump: