A view on Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: A view on Religion.
(06-01-2012 01:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 01:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is starting to become a theological debate vs someone who doesn't believe in theology. I honestly don't have the fortitude to start another one of these.

Well, yeah. As an atheist, I view theology as a subject with no substance; an empty cassock. There's no 'there' there.

And, that's fine, if you don't try and argue from a theological standpoint.

I find it funny that atheists won't accept the Bible as a means of authority when debating a theists but will use it to counter against a theist but refuse to engage in a theological discussion about the aforementioned point.

It's not ironic at all. We don't accept it as a means of authority because it's contents are inhumane to say the least. It's authority contradicts itself on more than a few occasions. Also we use it to "counter against a theist" because when confronted with your own text its more of an impact. As for theology I agree that it's not really important or purposeful but that doesn't have anything to do with quoting the bible.

Religious? Oh...how unfortunate.

It's not that I don't like you or have a problem with you. It's just uncomfortable looking at that dying Jew on that cross, around your neck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
(06-01-2012 01:22 PM)CaluMew Wrote:  
Quote:Most of what you've written in this thread are just your beliefs that you're saying are facts.

Not really, you just read them and know they hurt your religion and so assume they are my opinion but have no intention of researching what I have said. I advice you to go do that. Yes some parts are my opinion but they are backed up with evidence and facts.

There wasn't really anything in your post I hadn't heard before, except for the thing about Eve getting the whole blame.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
06-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:There wasn't really anything in your post I hadn't heard before, except for the thing about Eve getting the whole blame.

Predictability doesn't dictate whether things are opinion. You've probably heard these arguments before because atheists tend to stick with facts and facts don't shift or change.

It's not that I don't like you or have a problem with you. It's just uncomfortable looking at that dying Jew on that cross, around your neck.
06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
KC and Sharks9 are both answering from within their belief systems - which they are pretty expert at because unlike most of us they do have the motivation to go into excruciating detail - for me, if something in the Bible doesn't make sense I just say "meh" and move on, but for them it's serious stuff so they research it. They're not average apathetic Christian guys who will get upset by such dubious zingers as angels appearing to one and only one person.

Don't want to sound all old school-marm either but aggressively claiming (a) I'm right (b) I'm right and you're wrong and facts are on my side and my opinion is fact and you're a bunch of superstitious idiots... I don't see that making me think "Oh indeed, what a charming fellow, and he's so *rational*." It was a great rant though Tongue
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Gawd the snarkyness of these arguments make them painful to read. I don't mind a little snark, but if there's snark it has to be funny and not just snide in order to make it worth the time reading.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 02:54 PM by kingschosen.)
(06-01-2012 02:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  Gawd the snarkyness of these arguments make them painful to read. I don't mind a little snark, but if there's snark it has to be funny and not just snide in order to make it worth the time reading.

Sorry. I snarked in response to snark.
(06-01-2012 02:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  KC and Sharks9 are both answering from within their belief systems - which they are pretty expert at because unlike most of us they do have the motivation to go into excruciating detail - for me, if something in the Bible doesn't make sense I just say "meh" and move on, but for them it's serious stuff so they research it. They're not average apathetic Christian guys who will get upset by such dubious zingers as angels appearing to one and only one person.

Don't want to sound all old school-marm either but aggressively claiming (a) I'm right (b) I'm right and you're wrong and facts are on my side and my opinion is fact and you're a bunch of superstitious idiots... I don't see that making me think "Oh indeed, what a charming fellow, and he's so *rational*." It was a great rant though Tongue

At least someone gets me Tongue

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-01-2012, 03:05 PM
(06-01-2012 02:06 PM)CaluMew Wrote:  
Quote:There wasn't really anything in your post I hadn't heard before, except for the thing about Eve getting the whole blame.

Predictability doesn't dictate whether things are opinion. You've probably heard these arguments before because atheists tend to stick with facts and facts don't shift or change.

Things that we think are facts often change.

(06-01-2012 02:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  KC and Sharks9 are both answering from within their belief systems - which they are pretty expert at because unlike most of us they do have the motivation to go into excruciating detail - for me, if something in the Bible doesn't make sense I just say "meh" and move on, but for them it's serious stuff so they research it. They're not average apathetic Christian guys who will get upset by such dubious zingers as angels appearing to one and only one person.

Just wanted to say this was a great post and I completely agree with it. Except the part about his rant being great Tongue

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
[+] 2 users Like Sharks9's post
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
(06-01-2012 02:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 02:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  Gawd the snarkyness of these arguments make them painful to read. I don't mind a little snark, but if there's snark it has to be funny and not just snide in order to make it worth the time reading.

Sorry. I snarked in response to snark.

To be honest, I wasn't referring to your posts in particular. But does tend to spiral to the point where I could only get through the first few arguments before I just said, F-it, I'll be able to read this better on Monday rather than put myself in a bitter mood on a Friday. Big Grin

Edit to add, I'm just as guilty of snark as anyone else though. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
(06-01-2012 03:09 PM)kineo Wrote:  Edit to add, I'm just as guilty of snark as anyone else though. Smile

Let he who is without snark please fuck off 'cos we don't like goody two shoes Tongue You can cast a stone as you leave though.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:Things that we think are facts often change.

Maybe the oppressed facts of Dark age totalitarian Europe where if you said different from the church you'd be killed. Look it up, it's very true!

These days facts and theories (scientific theories) become what they are through careful research and discovery and if there are changes there will be ever so little or there would be huge discoveries to advance the fact but the fundamental foundation of it is true.