A weird sort of guilt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 10:49 PM
A weird sort of guilt
I always feel slightly guilty about being black and being blind. It's a weird sort of guilt because in being blind I mostly escape racism. I'm not sure what that's about but most people who meet me don't treat me the same way that other black people are treated. I'm usually handled with kid gloves and yes I noticed and yes it's patronizing. And yes some of the things that are said to me because of my blindness are just as discriminatory. But I always feel like because when I get stopped by the cops they just want to give me a ride I have to somehow make up for it by keeping my mouth shut about being discriminated against for being blind. Or when I get stopped in the store nobody thinks I'm stealing;The line "Can I help you with something?" isn't code for "Watch what you're touching nigger, you can't afford it anyway." And even among other black people I tend to take the comments of "Oreo cookie" and "Masters Pet" with good grace mostly because I think they have it worse. Do you guys think I'm just being a bit paranoid or to self-conscious?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 10:58 PM
RE: A weird sort of guilt
Do you live in the south?

I personally have never heard these comments while in public. Granted, I am white but a majority of the students in my school are black and I just don't hear this kind of talk amongst the students. School is in the greater Philadelphia region.

I hear from friends that live in the southern states that the racist comments are more prevalent. Perhaps it's my region. Don't get me wrong, I know it is still a problem but I just can't imagine living around the ignorance. My husband and I want to move south. We both hate the cold weather and I am trying to understand the culture shock we may be facing.
Find all posts by this user
30-12-2013, 11:01 PM
On topic: are you saying you feel guilty because you aren't viewed by idiots in a negative light as your black peers?
30-12-2013, 11:11 PM
(30-12-2013 10:58 PM)aquaquilter Wrote:  Do you live in the south?

I personally have never heard these comments while in public. Granted, I am white but a majority of the students in my school are black and I just don't hear this kind of talk amongst the students. School is in the greater Philadelphia region.

I hear from friends that live in the southern states that the racist comments are more prevalent. Perhaps it's my region. Don't get me wrong, I know it is still a problem but I just can't imagine living around the ignorance. My husband and I want to move south. We both hate the cold weather and I am trying to understand the culture shock we may be facing.

I live in Tennessee unfortunately, it doesn't help that I'm not from here. I'm from the north east side of Ohio and I sound like it. Basically to their ears I sound stuck up.
30-12-2013, 11:39 PM

Get ready for a lot of culture shock. First and foremost they terribly xenohobia, and the poor Hispanics get treated terribly and I mean by everyone including the black people. When I first saw what was going on I was scandalized. And if a woman tells you you look lovely what she really means is damn you're ugly bitch. The school systems are terrible they're very very behind. Living here it's almost like living in another country.
31-12-2013, 01:44 AM
(30-12-2013 11:01 PM)aquaquilter Wrote:  On topic: are you saying you feel guilty because you aren't viewed by idiots in a negative light as your black peers?
I guess I feel like not having to deal with that aspect of things is me getting off easy, so I should shut up and take the lumps I do get.
13-01-2014, 02:54 PM
(30-12-2013 10:49 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I always feel slightly guilty about being black and being blind. It's a weird sort of guilt because in being blind I mostly escape racism.

This is nuts.

So you have a "weird guilt" over two things in which you had no control;
Being black and becoming blind.

Tell you what. Burn those calories for your actions that you may feel guilty over. Perhaps you can start by feeling guilty for empty guilt!

Besides everyone knows that blind black people never see the expensive stuff worth stealing.Wink

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
13-01-2014, 03:49 PM

I would say move to South Florida. It will still be a different experience but nothing near the shock of Tennessee-Georgia.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
13-01-2014, 03:59 PM
(31-12-2013 01:44 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 11:01 PM)aquaquilter Wrote:  On topic: are you saying you feel guilty because you aren't viewed by idiots in a negative light as your black peers?
I guess I feel like not having to deal with that aspect of things is me getting off easy, so I should shut up and take the lumps I do get.

This is silliness Quil. Someone else will always have bigger problems than you, and someone else's life will always be harder than yours. That doesn't make your problems and struggles any less valid. Don't feel guilty about being blind and especially don't feel guilty because people don't discriminate against you as much as others. After living several years in South Georgia I can tell you that ignorant racist jerks are always ignorant racist jerks. I don't know why it would make you feel better, but if it does, those losers hate you just as much as they hate other black people. They just don't show it because they don't want it to be mistaken for being prejudice against the blind.
Either way I look forward to the day when racists are extinct.

Never feel guilty for who you are! Especially the things you have no control over Heart

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
13-01-2014, 04:09 PM
I would take people wanting to help you as a nothing more than an example of human decency. I'm sure they're not patronizing you, so I would just look at the intent. I know it has to be hard.

As far as the racism, I don't know what to say. I know it exists but I guess I kind of understand why you feel guilty for not experiencing it.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post