A world without war

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: A world without war
Well....
Taking into account the current state of the world a "world without war" may or may not be a nice place.
War has often been the means of attaining a more desirable society.
We may get to the world of Star Trek but I doubt we will get there without some wars.
Increasing surveillance, militarized police etc etc.
This may lead to a "world without war" but it's a long way from Star Trek.
And all indications seem to point to that direction.
It will take a serious change of direction and it won't happen with flower power.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2017, 07:08 AM
The reason the visiting aliens haven't let themselves be known is because nobody in the universe thinks humans should be running around off-planet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
13-11-2017, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2017 07:37 AM by BikerDude.)
(13-11-2017 07:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The reason the visiting aliens haven't let themselves be known is because nobody in the universe thinks humans should be running around off-planet.

They are just fattening us up.
After that we are an alien delicacy.

[Image: CannibalConventionColorado1.jpg]

13-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Conventional war is slowly being replaced by what one might define as large scale international law enforcement. We're not all the way there yet, but rapid response automated strike capabilities will continue to make the world a much smaller place where conventional borders and large standing armies defending (or assaulting) traditional front lines become a thing of the past.

I don't see organized, armed violence disappearing anytime soon. But I do see the nature of it changing to the point that it might not fit the description of war, and with that trend a continued need for what the public usually (and naively) calls the militarization of police or It's similarly intentioned twin, the police-ization of the military.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
13-11-2017, 07:46 AM
(13-11-2017 07:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Conventional war is slowly being replaced by what one might define as large scale international law enforcement. We're not all the way there yet, but rapid response automated strike capabilities will continue to make the world a much smaller place where conventional borders and large standing armies defending (or assaulting) traditional front lines become a thing of the past.

I don't see organized, armed violence disappearing anytime soon. But I do see the nature of it changing to the point that it might not fit the description of war, and with that trend a continued need for what the public usually (and naively) calls the militarization of police or It's similarly intentioned twin, the police-ization of the military.

The only way to Star Trek is to replace the segment that steers the direction of the ship. And they are clearly making moves to prevent that.
The coming world without war will either be Star Trek or Orwell.
The difference is war or no war.
Well actually I don't think we are capable of Star Trek.
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Forever. Or at least for a very very long time.

13-11-2017, 07:50 AM
(13-11-2017 07:46 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(13-11-2017 07:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Conventional war is slowly being replaced by what one might define as large scale international law enforcement. We're not all the way there yet, but rapid response automated strike capabilities will continue to make the world a much smaller place where conventional borders and large standing armies defending (or assaulting) traditional front lines become a thing of the past.

The only way to Star Trek is to replace the segment that steers the direction of the ship. And they are clearly making moves to prevent that.
The coming world without war will either be Star Trek or Orwell.
The difference is war or no war.

My bet is on Orwell, but with one governing body plagued by occasional uprisings instead of 3 fighting amongst themselves.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-11-2017, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2017 08:17 AM by BikerDude.)
(13-11-2017 07:50 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My bet is on Orwell, but with one governing body plagued by occasional uprisings instead of 3 fighting amongst themselves.

Sadly I agree.
And it will happen by people adopting measures that they truly believe are in the best interest. Naively painting the entire species into a corner.
Whatever that governing body is it won't take over.
It will simply become the single source for everything systematically.
(Does anybody else find it disturbing that monsanto owns the largest private army in the world?)
https://www.thenation.com/article/blackw...black-ops/
An unholy amalgam of corporation and elected government.
Sheep easily herded down the corridors of steel.
The information super highway becomes the most sophisticated surveillance mechanism in human history.
The genuine fight for justice turns into a war or free speech and divergent opinions.
Who knows what's next. With AI and people being replaced with automation. All in the service of building Star Trek.
In a post Snowden world this is not tin foil hat stuff.

Maybe the garden really is the way to go.
Naked, dancing around a fire, drunk as a monkey.

I'm gonna go back and read the unibomber manifesto again.
Really. That crazy prick got some shit right.

13-11-2017, 08:17 AM
(13-11-2017 07:26 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(13-11-2017 07:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The reason the visiting aliens haven't let themselves be known is because nobody in the universe thinks humans should be running around off-planet.

They are just fattening us up.
After that we are an alien delicacy.

[Image: CannibalConventionColorado1.jpg]

Both Tyson and Rogan are pretty intellectually disappointing there.
13-11-2017, 08:17 AM
War, as we are used to represent them, are going to progressively become a thing of the past. With a world economy increasingly integrated and more and more efficient and omnipresent world wide communication system, people are becomming more interdependant than in the past. Conflict between human groups still have a long future before them, but they will mostly be commercial wars or cyberwars. The soldiers of the future are either going to be automated smart weapon systems or a bunch of nerds in a basement using good old vandalism as a war strategy. The young and soon to be old persons like myself will have to get used to a pretty scary world in which we are going to be safer from war than ever. I might be alive to see the day where my generation will be considered violent and brutish dinosaurs.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
13-11-2017, 08:25 AM
It might be that Governments will eventually become subservient to Oligarchy.
The US, Russia, China. They all sort of look that way.
Basically every single force that control the future.