A young confused atheist here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 03:50 PM
A young confused atheist here
I am a 15 year old closeted atheist that lives with my family in the bible belt I guess I started to doubt God when I was 12 I couldn't understand why God allowed so many innocent people to suffer of course when I asked the church they said "it's all part of God's plan" or "don't question question God" it was also around this time religion started to slowly fracture my mind thinking everything I was doing was against God's will ever since I've converted to atheism my mental phsyce has gotten much better my family has noticed this to.

speaking of them my family is fundamentalist right wing Christians so I'v with my grandparents being strict Zionists and thinks the "left wing schools" are brainwashing me since I support secularism my uncle is a conspiracy nut who watches Glenn Beck and my step dad is a racist homophobic bigot who can't stand the sight of a rainbow cause it reminds him of the "filthy gays" little does he know I'm bisexual anyway I've come here to get advice on how to come out to my family with my atheism and bisexuality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ForsakenHeretic's post
20-08-2015, 04:00 PM
RE: A young confused atheist here
Your generation gives me hope.

Welcome to TTA, FH.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I admire you already. Welcome, and this is a safe place.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
20-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Welcome Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
20-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(20-08-2015 03:50 PM)ForsakenHeretic Wrote:  I am a 15 year old closeted atheist that lives with my family in the bible belt I guess I started to doubt God when I was 12 I couldn't understand why God allowed so many innocent people to suffer of course when I asked the church they said "it's all part of God's plan" or "don't question question God" it was also around this time religion started to slowly fracture my mind thinking everything I was doing was against God's will ever since I've converted to atheism my mental phsyce has gotten much better my family has noticed this to.

speaking of them my family is fundamentalist right wing Christians so I'v with my grandparents being strict Zionists and thinks the "left wing schools" are brainwashing me since I support secularism my uncle is a conspiracy nut who watches Glenn Beck and my step dad is a racist homophobic bigot who can't stand the sight of a rainbow cause it reminds him of the "filthy gays" little does he know I'm bisexual anyway I've come here to get advice on how to come out to my family with my atheism and bisexuality.

Welcome to TTA!

You are 15 - that means you have 3 more years to live with your family.

You need to ask yourself some questions. Firstly, why do you want to come out to your parents now? Do they really need to know?

Then, how do you expect them to react? How will that help you, if at all?

I wonder, do you have any atheist friends your own age? They would make the best support system for you at this time.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question. We don't know much about the situation or you. But I assume you will be financially dependent on your parents for another 3 years. That makes it a difficult situation.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2015, 04:15 PM
(20-08-2015 04:06 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I admire you already. Welcome, and this is a safe place.

^^ Just wanted to second that!

Welcome to the world of sanity. It's kinda a nice place, especially for those of us who live surrounded by people who worship desert tribes' sky-daddy blood-gods!

Many of us here come from backgrounds like that. I myself am an ex-Christian, but grew up and learned intellectual honesty, studied hard, and became a biologist. You sound like one of us already, in many respects. Wish I'd gotten my head screwed on straight by age 15! (I waited till 17 to give up Christianity, and didn't figure out I was a real atheist until 22.) You'll fit right in.

You'll see a lot of that sort of thinking from the trolls, here: "Science is just a conspiracy against gawd!" But don't worry, this is about the most laid-back, intellectually honest forum I've seen (only been here since May), and the people here are first-rate human beings. Only the "goddidit" crowd thinks calling someone a top-notch human being is an insult!

Rolleyes

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Welcome!

Sometimes staying closeted is the smartest thing to do until you're in a position of more control--such as when you've moved out or achieved adulthood as recognized by the law. If you have close relatives who believe non-Christians are evil, rather than just misguided, it's good to wait until you have some distance and autonomy.

This is a good place for support and information. You'll get lots of ideas about how to tell your relatives you're a nonbeliever and answers to the kinds of objections they're likely to raise.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
20-08-2015, 04:58 PM
(20-08-2015 04:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 03:50 PM)ForsakenHeretic Wrote:  I am a 15 year old closeted atheist that lives with my family in the bible belt I guess I started to doubt God when I was 12 I couldn't understand why God allowed so many innocent people to suffer of course when I asked the church they said "it's all part of God's plan" or "don't question question God" it was also around this time religion started to slowly fracture my mind thinking everything I was doing was against God's will ever since I've converted to atheism my mental phsyce has gotten much better my family has noticed this to.

Welcome to TTA!

You are 15 - that means you have 3 more years to live with your family.

You need to ask yourself some questions. Firstly, why do you want to come out to your parents now? Do they really need to know?

Then, how do you expect them to react? How will that help you, if at all?

I wonder, do you have any atheist friends your own age? They would make the best support system for you at this time.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question. We don't know much about the situation or you. But I assume you will be financially dependent on your parents for another 3 years. That makes it a difficult situation.

I do have a lot of friends most are agnostic fortunately they understand what I went through and see I why I'm so mad at religion although one is unaffiliated and claims he doesn't care about religion although he believes in the Christian God I still haven't told any of them I'm bisexual because I fear they might shun me in the south homosexuality is seen as wrong even by nonreligious people bisexuality even more so because because people can't see how you can like both sexes
20-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Welcome!
20-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Welcome. I agree with the others - everything depends on how miserable they can make your life and religious assholes can be exceedingly miserable bastards.

Try to develop a certain detachment from them. Think of their god-based antics as amusing. It might help.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!