A young confused atheist here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2015, 10:15 PM
RE: A young confused atheist here
(21-08-2015 05:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 03:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Try the "Boot Heel" region of southeastern-most Missouri, where you can smell the Klan campfires burning to the sound of Ozark hillbillies playing "Dueling Banjos".

*shudder*

.... What are you doing there?

A partner of mine with whom I used to build custom motorcycles, in our early 20s, for fun (and to race), built a full shop here in southeast Missouri during the nine years I was wrongfully incarcerated. Though I was a field biologist, before, the felony conviction and almost-decade away from the scientific literature have pretty much closed the door for me, in terms of a science career. I'd have to go back to graduate school and get at least an MS to even think about applying to work in the sciences again, and even then I would be viewed with suspicion and likely have trouble finding work because it is well known among the ex-ex-con community that no one cares if you're cleared of a crime, they think "where there's smoke there's fire" if you were even arrested, because to think otherwise would require Average Joe to realize that America's "justice" system is corrupt.

When I was exonerated, early this year, and released in April (you'd think they'd release you immediately, but that's not how it works: the lower court has to actually order it after the higher court overturns it...sometimes weeks after), my old partner offered to let me run the shop here in this part of Missouri (he's in Florida now, running a bigger shop for a friend of his, ironically, after that friend lost a manager), set my own hours, be a full financial partner in an already-established shop, in exchange for splitting profits from my new designs and inventions 50/50 with him (since they're built on his equipment/machinery, it's more than fair). I don't like the location, so he has agreed that if I can sell this place, I can buy us a new shop in the Kansas City area, so I can be near my fiancée and son... but it's not easy to just "pull up stakes" here in this dead market.

I hate it here, but at least I'm employed and doing something I enjoy, can set my own hours, and can check out TTA while I'm waiting for a batch to finish on our CNC machine. The computer is even fast enough to (barely) handle refreshes of open browser windows while it's tabulating tensor stress fields on new parts I've input into the CAD program. (Boy did those get better while I was away!)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-08-2015, 06:27 AM
RE: A young confused atheist here
(21-08-2015 08:24 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Hiya! I'm from Huntsville Big Grin

There's getting to be quite a few Alabamians active on this site.

Greetings from Hulaco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply