A youtube video that will frustrate you very MUCH.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 12:35 PM
RE: A youtube video that will frustrate you very MUCH.
(25-07-2011 04:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Tag. I'm in.

For those that don't want to watch a 16 minute video, here's the breakdown. The four things to remember in order to "destroy atheists" is as follows... with my rebuttal. He forms it into an "easy to remember acronym" because Christians can't be bothered with remembering things like "ideas" or "words."

M.U.C.H.

Morals

"Atheists have no basis from which to draw their morals. Christians get their morals from the Bible."

-This one has been laughed off so many times that I honestly don't see how it keeps coming up. The moral lessons preached in the Bible are so incompatible with the accepted morals of modern society that you could very accurately call them immoral. Marry your rapist, sell your daughter, kill your disobedient children, beat your slave, sacrifice animals, kill homosexuals, kill anyone who tries to convert you to another religion. These are just a handful of the morals explicitly advocated in the "moral guidebook" of Christians.

Also, this would suggest that before the Bible was written, the world was chaos. People were just killing and eating each other in wild blood orgies until God told us to stop via stone tablets.

Uniformity of Nature

"Because the laws of nature exist, God exists."

-Seriously, this is his whole argument. Because gravity is constant and the orbits of planets behave in a consistent manner, we know that God must have designed these things to be this way. Here's a direct quote, "In an atheistic world, everything is in a constant state of change. There'd be no reason to think tomorrow would be like today. And so we'd have whales like Shamu turning into lizards and dinosaurs." End rebuttal.

Concepts and Laws that are Universal

"There are universal, immaterial, and abstract laws, such as the concept of the number 2. You also can't have A and not-A at the same time in the same place. A star cannot be both alive and dead at the same time. There are laws in place that maintain the order of these things, therefore God must have made these laws."

-By stating a bunch of nonsensical and contradicting statements (how come a circle isn't also a triangle?), he attempts to establish a God-created law on sense itself. You may have noticed at this point that the whole "God did it" conclusion has no transition or supporting arguments. He just states something, then falsely claims that "science can't explain it, therefore God did it."

Human Dignity

"If humans are just animals, then why do we eat other animals, but frown on eating each other?"

-That's his entire argument. Why don't we eat each other? Seriously? These "arguments" don't warrant a rebuttal. You get the feeling he just really needed an H to complete his acronym.

Then he finishes by using scripture to explain "what science can't explain." Which isn't actually "explaining" anything. If I can't figure out the antiderivative of log (base 7) 3x^4y, opening up a children's book and going "Aha, it says here that Sir William vanquished the evil Number Dragon with his sword, making all answers from thence forth zero" still doesn't give me the answer. It just gives a false sense of accomplishment and closure through a fantasy belief system. I can also believe that I am King of Gumdrop Island. It makes me feel better, but it's not cohesive with reality.

Where is Gumdrop Island? Sounds great! Smile Excellent rebuttals all. Interestingly enough, some religious geniuses in one of the Southern US bastions of ignorance and stupidity once legislated the number pi to be 3.00, presumably on the premise that it was close enough for government work.

Actually, there is evidence that primitive tribes are/were more likely to (semi) randomly kill and eat each other, but it wasn't God that fixed that problem. It was evolution eliminating the more violent members of primitive societies and selecting for ability to work well with others. It was also the evolution of societies with a strong central government (initially headed by "divinely appointed" kings whose petty squabbles amongst themselves sometimes temporarily erased progress in reducing violence) taking on a monopoly of violence by making the cost of random interpersonal violence too steep for potential perps. Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature" goes over this in sometimes mind-numbing detail but is well worth wading through for an insight into the evolution of violence in the genus homo.

Bottom line, human morality, like chimp and bonobo morality evolved and continues to evolve. We are animals and we don't eat each other because the meme suggesting that was ok was selected against by natural selection. We seem to be evolving away from eating other animals as well. I suspect that in another 50 years or so, we will have figured out how to grow meat without growing the whole animal and the whole ethical question of vegetarianism vs carnivorous desires will be moot. Our descendants will look back at the present attitudes toward eating meat ripped from other animals with the same distaste with which we contemplate the era of chattel slavery. Meanwhile, until someone comes up with a "Soylent Red" which tastes as good, turkey is still my favorite vegetable. Smile

Since acronyms are such a great mnemonic device, let's put our heads together and come up with acronyms for some of the questions re King Bonehead's faith:

B - Boners are sinful??? You've gotta be kidding!!

U - Universe was made >10^60 times bigger than us just so we could exist and worship a North Korean Style invisible dictator?

L - Lies about the nature of the universe are the inspired Words of God?

L - Lesbians are sinful??? Are you out of your fucking mind????

S - Sin and guilt are things inherited over thousands and millions of generations? Really? Are you responsible for Genghis Kahn's atrocities just because you are distantly related to him?

H - Hell is a concept created by a Good God? By what definition of "Good"?

I - Incitement to violence is a moral duty to eliminate questions such as these? Really?

T - Titties exposed to the view of unrelated males are abominable?

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ufo42's post
11-05-2013, 09:45 AM
(25-07-2011 12:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ....EVERYTHING this guy says is bull$h!t.

Well, Gee.....what's new here? Just about EVERY bible thumper's attack on atheism is bullshit. I tuned it out after a minute or so.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Hey don't you know, it's true, people get their moral high ground from the bible.
29-05-2013, 11:07 AM
... or from the abyss of it....

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Like I give a fuck about what this man has to say. He can kiss my short, white, female ass.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]