AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 06:55 AM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(25-10-2016 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 06:17 AM)adey67 Wrote:  My heartfelt congratulations and admiration for your 25th anniversary Bowing

I posted earlier that although I had been rather looking forward to it, the actual day passed without me even noticing. Facepalm

Sobriety has become so normal that I didn't remember until the next day, and I only noted the date because the 13th was my brother's birthday.

I must have missed that post, great that it feels so normal but its still a huge achievement IMHO
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
30-12-2016, 08:46 PM
AA may not be a cult but they sure get huffy if you don't say the same shit as everyone else. The last two times I tried to speak I got met with disrespect. They have circular bullshit replies for everything just like a fucking church.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
31-12-2016, 12:14 AM
(30-12-2016 08:46 PM)ImFred Wrote:  AA may not be a cult but they sure get huffy if you don't say the same shit as everyone else. The last two times I tried to speak I got met with disrespect. They have circular bullshit replies for everything just like a fucking church.

Depends on the group. If you don't like a meeting, find another. Or start one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-12-2016, 12:41 AM
I'm starting to think AA addicts are worst than junkies
31-12-2016, 01:10 AM
(31-12-2016 12:41 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm starting to think AA addicts are worst than junkies

Unlike junkies, they don't commit crimes to support their habit. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2016, 04:46 AM
Many if not most AA old timers are psychological bullies and there are lots of junkies who never resort to violent crime. The more you see of AA the more sinister it becomes. If you've been going for 25 years I can't imagine the number it's done on your head.
31-12-2016, 04:58 AM
(31-12-2016 04:46 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Many if not most AA old timers are psychological bullies and there are lots of junkies who never resort to violent crime. The more you see of AA the more sinister it becomes. If you've been going for 25 years I can't imagine the number it's done on your head.
It seems to work for some however I experienced a lot of what you just described and the nearest secular meetings are in London too far to travel regularly for me, keep searching though and you may find a group that really suits you, I'm still looking. Chas has been sober for ages and he's probably one of the most level headed people on here Imo.
31-12-2016, 05:12 AM
Frankly, when someone starts up with that "I'm
20 plus years sober" crap which unfailingly turns into the expectation that all that sober time translates into authority I know somewhere down the line gave up on their critical thinking not for sobriety but for acceptance. Every facet of life is the same, people use conformity to gain acceptance and then applaud those that reinforce what they already pretend to believe. AA is just that on steroids. At first, it was all the God stuff that bothered me but now I'm more concerned with people who worship the program which just so happens to be every old timer I ever met.
31-12-2016, 06:44 AM
There was a very interesting article written by an Australian team of doctors and psychologists about how AA forfils almost all the criteria for classification as a cult sadly I cannot locate the link, I'm reluctant to dismiss AA completely as I found it helpful on a number of occasions although I was ostracized when I pointed out the contradictions in the big book, they didn't like that at all.
31-12-2016, 07:35 AM
They take you in at your most vulnerable and start drilling you immediately with all you have to do is exactly what we tell you. Then when someone gets sober with a self-modified program they get ostracized. It may not be a cult but it's cult like. That's for sure.

And I've been to 4 groups and it's 4 for 4 exactly the same.