AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 07:57 AM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(31-12-2016 07:35 AM)ImFred Wrote:  They take you in at your most vulnerable and start drilling you immediately with all you have to do is exactly what we tell you. Then when someone gets sober with a self-modified program they get ostracized. It may not be a cult but it's cult like. That's for sure.

And I've been to 4 groups and it's 4 for 4 exactly the same.

I'd keep looking for some sort of peer related support though mate, staying sober can be a bitch at times especially this time of year, I decided to go last night just for a bit of support and affirmation I just forced myself to accept the good things like camaraderie and coffee with biscuitsBig Grin and ignored the stuff I find offensive which to be fair wasn't too much thankfully.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-12-2016, 08:01 AM
You're welcome to PM me if you're struggling, I definitely wont throw the dogma and big book at you. Smile
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
31-12-2016, 08:08 AM
I went yesterday, too. And I got treated like shit. I was really upset but I'm not going to drink. If I'm ever singled out at a meeting again I'm going to get real fucking rude about it.
31-12-2016, 08:15 AM
(31-12-2016 08:08 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I went yesterday, too. And I got treated like shit. I was really upset but I'm not going to drink. If I'm ever singled out at a meeting again I'm going to get real fucking rude about it.

They don't like being contradicted by the sounds of it, I'd give that particular meeting a big miss, are there any other meetings you can get to or are they thin on the ground where you are?
31-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Like I said they're all about the same. There's 4 within a reasonable drive, I've been to all of them. The evening group at my home group is better than the morning group. I went to a couple morning groups while I've been on vacation and I didn't like how they were run. I've had small problems with the evening group but nothing like I experienced yesterday. For now, I'm just not going to go to any meetings run by the person who ran yesterday's group. I also feel bad because he was rude to another person, a newbie, and I didn't speak up for her and I should have. Yesterday another attendee did speak up for me but then the guy running the meeting was rude to him as well. I've been in therapy for several things including anger management and my therapist told me not to react in the moment so I took her advice and kept my manners. But after sleeping on it, I think it's one of those cases where a display of anger will very nicely do the trick. If I ever see this happen to anyone at any AA meeting again I'm shutting that shit down. I'm not on probation or assigned to go. If I get kicked out I'll make damn sure I get my point across first.

Just typing this makes me feel silly. I'm not going to erase it but I swear I don't exactly know how I feel. I don't really want to go off but I'm not going to be bullied either.
31-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Oh dude that really sucks, the chair person should never be like that it goes completely contrary to the principles of AA, sounds like they have some control issues right there. You sound eminently sensible to me so I don't think your post is silly at all, just make sure you stay cool if you do decide to say something if you don't get angry while making your point they cannot justify kicking you out but it depends how clicky the group is as a whole. Its a shitty situation all the same though, there you are trying to stay sober, you shouldn't have to deal with that shit, I would wait til they have a group conscience meeting and then tell them exactly how you feel, it sounds like a rather unhealthy meeting to me.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks for lending a kind ear and giving me the benefit of the doubt. I've never heard of "group conscience" meetings but I'll ask. If this is a place where I can express my grievances I have a few. I think one of the problems is the core membership is too small. I don't like real big groups but when there are only 3-5 regulars everyone's idiosyncrasies become more pronounced.
31-12-2016, 10:06 AM
You're very welcome Fred, Every healthy meeting in the UK has conscience meetings but I am unsure if it is the same overseas you might want to check it out with someone at the meeting who you get on ok with. Wishing you a very happy and sober new year. Regards Adey
31-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Checking in to our group here. Good to hear from you on the subject, Adey. You can always bend our ear Fred.
31-12-2016, 10:41 AM
(31-12-2016 10:27 AM)skyking Wrote:  Checking in to our group here. Good to hear from you on the subject, Adey. You can always bend our ear Fred.

Thanks bro, have a great new yearSmile