AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(31-12-2016 12:40 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Is there anyone who you can talk to on the phone or in person who understands what you are going through ?

No.

Quote:Do you have a doctor helping you?

Yes but I think she's out of her depth. I have prescriptions to Xanax, Prozac, and Ambien. I've been trying to taper off the Xanax but I "cheated" and today and took 1mg. My script is for 1.5 to 2 mgs daily but I almost never go over 1.5. Usually I just take .5 or I start getting withdrawals. I've been taking Xanax for over five years. I was dysfunctional without it. I was assaulted and got knocked out and that plus a lot of other difficult things happened and I pretty much completely broke down.

Please, nobody lecture me on the evils of Xanax. I already know. If you walked in my shoes you would understand. I'm working to get off them with medical supervision. I tried to get specialized psychiatric care but it's not available by anyone who takes my insurance within 50 miles of me except as a full inpatient which I don't want to do and even with my insurance would bankrupt me.

I hope no one will lecture you I'm sure girly and I won't, to be honest better the Xanax than the booze imo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks

I wish I had people like y'all in my group
31-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Do you have ambian to help you sleep tonight? Sorry I'm a Brit but I think ambian is a sleep med if I'm incorrect please let me know.
31-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Yeah I do. After I finish watching college "football" I'm off to zzzzzzzzzzz
31-12-2016, 01:38 PM
(31-12-2016 01:02 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm afraid of losing my health insurance or whatever and suddenly having to go cold turkey.

Alprazolam (Xanax generic) is like $10-15 for 120 0.5 mg tablets. As long as you can still get a script I wouldn't get anxious over the cost of the meds.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks for easing my mind there.
31-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Take a decent amount of Ambian to get you to sleep, within safe limits of course !!! Tomorrow is another day and I'm sure one of us will be around if you need support I'm here every day and always happy to talk, hell I may need you one day Big Grin sleep well my friend.
31-12-2016, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2017 08:58 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Sorry you're having such a tough time of it, Fred.

The bright side to this is if you make it through the holidays sober you'll feel that much stronger about it, I bet.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-12-2016, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2016 06:24 PM by Chas.)
(31-12-2016 05:12 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Frankly, when someone starts up with that "I'm
20 plus years sober" crap which unfailingly turns into the expectation that all that sober time translates into authority I know somewhere down the line gave up on their critical thinking not for sobriety but for acceptance.

I'll cut you some slack and not take umbrage at that, but your experience is not everyone's experience.

Quote:Every facet of life is the same, people use conformity to gain acceptance and then applaud those that reinforce what they already pretend to believe. AA is just that on steroids. At first, it was all the God stuff that bothered me but now I'm more concerned with people who worship the program which just so happens to be every old timer I ever met.

Nice generalization. Thumbsup (Not.)

I've met people like that, and many not like that.

I suggest you try to find better groups of people. Or try something else.

Edit: As was said, calling for a group conscience meeting is possibly the best response.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-12-2016, 06:19 PM
(31-12-2016 08:52 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Like I said they're all about the same. There's 4 within a reasonable drive, I've been to all of them. The evening group at my home group is better than the morning group. I went to a couple morning groups while I've been on vacation and I didn't like how they were run. I've had small problems with the evening group but nothing like I experienced yesterday. For now, I'm just not going to go to any meetings run by the person who ran yesterday's group. I also feel bad because he was rude to another person, a newbie, and I didn't speak up for her and I should have. Yesterday another attendee did speak up for me but then the guy running the meeting was rude to him as well. I've been in therapy for several things including anger management and my therapist told me not to react in the moment so I took her advice and kept my manners. But after sleeping on it, I think it's one of those cases where a display of anger will very nicely do the trick. If I ever see this happen to anyone at any AA meeting again I'm shutting that shit down. I'm not on probation or assigned to go. If I get kicked out I'll make damn sure I get my point across first.

Just typing this makes me feel silly. I'm not going to erase it but I swear I don't exactly know how I feel. I don't really want to go off but I'm not going to be bullied either.

Your instinct are correct - you should call that shit out.

And you can't get kicked out for that - that's not the way it works. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user