AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 06:20 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
I'm more likely to just wake up some random Wednesday morning and say fuck it and go to the liquor store instead of work without the slightest clue what set me off.

I just wake up and think shit I just can't do today. There's been days where I would have sooner killed myself than go to work. Just out of the blue. I'll go to work with the flu like it's nothing but when this shit hits me there's no fucking way. People don't get it but I don't give a fuck what they get anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Have you considered the possibility that you may be depressed Fred ? A trip to your primary care physician might be a good idea. Its 2am here so I'm off to bed for a bit now catch you later mate.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Yeah. I'm diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, and insomnia. My depression isn't nearly as crippling recently as it has been in the past.

Sobering up helped but it can still come roaring back.
31-12-2016, 09:46 PM
(31-12-2016 06:20 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm more likely to just wake up some random Wednesday morning and say fuck it and go to the liquor store instead of work without the slightest clue what set me off.

I just wake up and think shit I just can't do today. There's been days where I would have sooner killed myself than go to work. Just out of the blue. I'll go to work with the flu like it's nothing but when this shit hits me there's no fucking way. People don't get it but I don't give a fuck what they get anyway.

Start digging through your toolbox, bud. I know a couple of tools that work for me when I get a bad case of the fuckits.

Don't let others steer you off-course. Stay focused on the task at hand.
31-12-2016, 10:02 PM
(31-12-2016 06:20 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm more likely to just wake up some random Wednesday morning and say fuck it and go to the liquor store instead of work without the slightest clue what set me off.

If you have clinical depression, medical treatment is called for - including anti-depressant medication.

One component of alcoholism may be the self-medication of depression. Treat your alcoholism with every means at your disposal - it is a potentially fatal malady.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-12-2016, 10:40 PM
(31-12-2016 01:10 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thanks

I wish I had people like y'all in my group

I consider what we are doing here a group, Fred. Maybe not face to face, but we are here.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
31-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Quote:If you have clinical depression, medical treatment is called for - including anti-depressant medication.

I take Prozac
01-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Hi Fred I too have severe depression an anxiety disorder and raging insomnia so I have a good idea what you're going through, you're lucky to have the Ambian, in Britain if you are diagnosed with alcohol problems no doctor will prescribe benzodiazepines or hypnotics unless you have an urgent need, last time I got any was when my dad died in June. Fortunately I get antipsychotics to help me sleep not because I'm psychotic but for the sedative effect. The other guys have given some superb suggestions and you're not alone bud keep your chin up regards Adey
01-01-2017, 04:49 AM
Quote:in Britain if you are diagnosed with alcohol problems no doctor will prescribe benzodiazepines or hypnotics

Even if you're in AA and on the wagon?

My doctor sent me to AA as part of it. I don't have to get papers signed. She takes my word for it. My doctor told me she's an atheist, too. She said to ignore the higher power bullshit but said I need at least weekly reminders of how destructive alcohol is. She says to call 911 if I'm about to drink and tell them my physician says it's a life threatening situation.
01-01-2017, 05:41 AM
(01-01-2017 04:49 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:in Britain if you are diagnosed with alcohol problems no doctor will prescribe benzodiazepines or hypnotics

Even if you're in AA and on the wagon?

My doctor sent me to AA as part of it. I don't have to get papers signed. She takes my word for it. My doctor told me she's an atheist, too. She said to ignore the higher power bullshit but said I need at least weekly reminders of how destructive alcohol is. She says to call 911 if I'm about to drink and tell them my physician says it's a life threatening situation.

No they won't prescribe them ESPECIALLY if you're on the wagon they universally describe them as alcohol in tablet form, detox is also really tough here, they give you just enough meds to stop you having alcoholic seizures but not enough to diminish the physical pain and symptoms of withdrawal. I've seen US protocols for detox and believe me they are much kinder.
Its swings and roundabouts however, here in the UK it costs me nothing to visit my primary care physician as many times as I need, prescriptions are cheap if your working and free if you are unemployed. If I get really sick hospital treatment is free no heavy insurance costs and haggling with them about what is covered.