AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 09:43 AM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(27-02-2017 09:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks RVM, that's much appreciated.

Anytime

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Adey, it's never too late. And your doctor will likely be able to help you. I've discussed my alcoholism with a couple of doctors; I've never had one give me shoddy treatment for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-02-2017, 10:49 AM
(27-02-2017 10:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Adey, it's never too late. And your doctor will likely be able to help you. I've discussed my alcoholism with a couple of doctors; I've never had one give me shoddy treatment for it.
My GP is great but tough as nails he will react badly to having been lied to.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-03-2017, 12:49 PM
(22-10-2016 10:08 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(22-10-2016 09:54 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Alcoholism treatment is going through a remarkable and revolutionary change right now. If you look up Dr. Olivier Ameisen you will find out about his discovery that a drug called baclofen can stop an alcoholic craving. This treatment has now been approved in France on a temporary basis and recent trials have shown sufficient success for the government there to approve it as a treatment. There are probably about 100,000 alcoholics now being treated with this drug.

The French organization which is furthering this development is AUBES: http://www.baclofene.fr/portal.php

There is also a US based support group for users of this treatment: http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/

What has happened over the past few years in addiction treatment is that Heroin treatment with Subudone has now gone into a new phase with Subudone becoming a generic. The company which produces and markets this, Reckits Benckiser, who make Nurofen, have taken a huge hit because Subudone was their only product of this sort. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsb...claim.html

They engaged in anti-generic activities and are also under investigation by the FDA.

As a result of this they bought the patent rights to a new and more powerful baclofen derivative called Arbaclofen which was initially developed by Seaside Technologies for treatment of Frigile X syndrome: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsb...claim.html

Now Reckits are in the middle of trials to get this approved for all purposes including alcoholism so it can replace Subudone. http://faith-seeking-understanding.org/2...sm-part-3/

You can buy baclofen online or get a prescription if you go to the forum mentioned above. It's very controversial but it does work in most people who try it, depending on how serious the alcohol problem is. It does have some unpleasant side effects which go away with use but they are mainly somnolence and drowsiness. Some alcoholics, who may not be seriously ill with the disease, find this limiting but for those who have liver disease, the drug is already being widely used by gastroenterologists.

Alcoholism in many cases is simply a misunderstood neurological problem which can be treated medically.

Thankyou for taking the time to reach out DB, its much appreciated I can tell you. Thumbsup

I gave a presentation at a colloquium at the medical faculty of the University of Paris last September on the ethics and legal issues involved in treatment of alcoholism with baclofen. I met a doctor there by the name of Amanda Stafford who has set up a site providing information about baclofen. http://baclofentreatment.com/

It's well worth reading the information on the site and viewing and listening to her videos and podcasts. She is going to try to roll this treatment out for meths users in Western Australia and is doing a "world tour", talking about the treatment. The organizers of the colloquium are mentioned in an article in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016...alcoholism

Baclofen treatment is incredibly tricky. One of the problems with people trying it without any guidance is that it makes you drink more when you start taking it and it can take several month to get the full effect. If you stop taking it, you relapse...bigly. But it does work. The latest trial results were published last Autumn which should result in a full license for the drug for alcoholism. That's important because it can't be advertised or promoted for alcoholism or addiction without a licence. At the moment, it's used off-licence and is a generic, so you don't hear about it and no one has any incentive to advertise it or get FDA approval.
04-03-2017, 12:55 PM
(27-02-2017 10:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Adey, it's never too late. And your doctor will likely be able to help you. I've discussed my alcoholism with a couple of doctors; I've never had one give me shoddy treatment for it.

The neurologists I went for treatment of my depression even ask for it. It's common with people suffering from that kind of illness. They're not judgmental and every doctor that is, isn't worth a visit.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
04-03-2017, 01:02 PM
It occurred to me some time ago that if it's possible to put a man on the moon, then it should be less difficult to figure out what the cause of alcoholism is.

There's a very good video showing how baclofen works in the brain of addicts:

05-03-2017, 09:41 AM
(27-02-2017 10:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
My GP is great but tough as nails he will react badly to having been lied to.

A competent GP should probably have figured it out already -- enlarged red blood cells, lower platelet counts, and other indices of alcoholism show up in standard blood lab work.

And if he doesn't know it yet, he should, because excessive alcohol intake has medical implications.

So he reacts badly. He'll live. What's he going to do, punish you by refusing care?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-03-2017, 09:59 AM
(27-02-2017 10:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  My GP is great but tough as nails he will react badly to having been lied to.

He might be "tough as nails" but any GP that is worth their weight will understand the struggles of alcoholism. After I hit my rock bottom I came clean to my doctor. I told him that the pain pills, xanax, etc... that he prescribed to me I was not using for the reason that he prescribed. I was using them because I liked them and the effect that they gave. I was abusing them as a coping mechanism. We had a long discussion about what I was going through and he was very sympathetic to my situation and the stresses that I was under as a firefighter. I told him that he could not prescribe me any sort of narcotic from this point forward. I signed a contract with him and to his credit he has done exactly that. We've always had a good Dr / Patient relationship but coming clean to him actually strengthened that relationship. My hope is yours will feel the same way. If not, there are plenty out there that will and do understand the struggles with alcoholism.

I wish you well my friend. Vent all you wish as we will always listen.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
05-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys, being here I sometimes see the best of humanity with no judgment and no religion required, this is one of those times, atheists have been more kind tolerant and helpful than many of the folks in my former church, many of whom were more friends with my Christianity than with me.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
05-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Thump and Rear View beat me to it. Any doctor who has any knowledge regarding addiction is going to know that falling off the wagon (and lying about it) is part of the deal.

To get help you have to first be honest with yourself and then be honest with those you go to for help/care. I firmly believe the first is much harder than the second.

Falling off the wagon doesn't mean you can't get back on. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post