AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
The chairperson tonight said without God you are certain to relapse and I spoke up and said that's a bunch of bullshit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
05-03-2017, 08:21 PM
(05-03-2017 07:18 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The chairperson tonight said without God you are certain to relapse and I spoke up and said that's a bunch of bullshit.

Lol... I'd have to completely agree with that. I've been clean and sober and not had a desire for a little over 5 yrs. God didn't have anything to do with it. Me and my family did have everything to do with it.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 3 users Like RearViewMirror's post
05-03-2017, 09:14 PM
(05-03-2017 07:18 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The chairperson tonight said without God you are certain to relapse and I spoke up and said that's a bunch of bullshit.

Yeah - that's crap. I have a friend who's been sober 14 years - nothing to do with any god or, AA for that matter.

Funny - his few "newly sober" friends kept trying to push him to AA and got kind of pissy with him for only trying one meeting. He was ok with their process but he simply decided it just wasn't his bag.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Next time you hear shit like that, ask him where his little god was while you were in the whirlpool.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-03-2017, 11:42 AM
This is why atheists have such a great reputation as beautiful, caring, compassionate, quiet, accepting and thoughtful people.

After treatment in the Fall of 1987, I never “graduated” into AA.

A big percentage of my wife’s Al-Anon meeting (Parents Group), which I also attend, is also AA. This confirms the genetic component of alcohol and drug use. I have not even been invited to an AA meeting yet, and they all know that I am a non-program former drunk. If only they cared as much as atheists.

You probably do not want my advice, but I will give it anyway.

1. Go to an Al-Anon meeting and just listen. Keep your mouth shut. It is what I do.

2. Start a damn HAAA (Hostile Atheist Alcoholics Anonymous) meeting. There might be legal issues with that name, so make it Hostile Atheists of America. That sounds good.

3. Quick giving atheists a bad name. Jesus Christ!!
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
14-03-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure if that was sarcasm or what but yes I am hostile to relapse.

I won't crosstalk but if the chair says it like a predetermined fact that non-belief will cause a relapse I'm speaking up. Every fucking time.

Anyway, I'm still sober. And I'm staying that way. I don't feel like I'm giving atheists a bad name in AA. I'm demanding proper respect in accordance with tradition three.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
15-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Last couple of meetings were nice. Some different people with new stories.

If there was a non-believers meeting in my area I'd go but I'm not dedicated enough to start one. I actually hope people reply because I think having some support outside of the AA religion Lord's Prayer and all that will help me maintain my sobriety. I don't know exactly what I want to talk about. Maybe we could use some of the AA agnostica literature for topics or something. I'm closing up on 3/4 of my first year of sobriety. I feel like my mental health is improving all the time. Work has been up and down.
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
15-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I hear that work thing, Fred. Sounds to me like you are steady, regardless. Keep on keeping on!
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-03-2017, 10:51 PM

You should've told 'em what you really thought mate. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-03-2017, 02:07 AM
I'm fine with suggesting prayer. I actually do think the placebo quality is therapeutic for believers. My line in the sand is saying you're absolutely doomed without it. If a person expresses that belief while they're sharing that's their prerogative and I will not crosstalk. I will always maintain there's a path to recovery for non-believers. There is and there has to be. I don't think that's being a rebel or a reformist. That's AA fundamentalism. Not drinking.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post