AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
You're obsession with this medicine is becoming really annoying.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2017, 02:14 PM
It's his windmill to tilt at. Personally, I really like feeling clean and drug-free.
21-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Behavioral change can come through decisions as well as medicine.
21-03-2017, 02:32 PM
proof of that here, brother.
I am ditching one more med soon.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
21-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Maybe he's on to something

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...po=7.14286
21-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Getting clean and sober all comes down to a life change. That's it. Either you have to genuinely want to change or you will have to hit rock bottom. Those are your only two choices. I chose poorly and had to hit rock bottom to pull myself back up again. And doing it alone is damn near not an option. You need someone to hold you accountable for your actions from that point forward. I was lucky and had a great family support system and after a certain length of time I didn't even need that as I had no desire to drop back down in that pit because the climb out is a fucking nightmare.
I've been clean and sober for over 5 years now and I just went out with a friend tonight and ate dinner at a really nice restaurant in D.C. and then went to a bar on top of a hotel that overlooked the White House. I think I drank a total of 15 Diet Cokes all night and the thought never occurred to me to take a drink of the hard stuff. It's just not on my mind.

It's a life changing event that will be chosen for you one way or another. YOU will have to either commit to the change or the change will be committed for you. One way or another... If you are an alcoholic the change will happen sooner or later.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
21-03-2017, 10:54 PM
If your problem is primarily physical addiction that is indeed a chemical/medical problem. Totally ruling out medical assistance to ease real physical withdrawal symptoms is archaic.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
21-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Quote:You need someone to hold you accountable for your actions from that point forward.

No offense because I really like your presence on this thread, but I think you're assuming your personal experience is universal. I actually don't have anyone holding me accountable. I was killing myself, I knew that already, my doctor confirmed what I already knew, I was fucking terrified and went to AA. Nobody at AA can hold me accountable. My liver holds me accountable.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
21-03-2017, 11:27 PM
(21-03-2017 11:04 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:You need someone to hold you accountable for your actions from that point forward.

No offense because I really like your presence on this thread, but I think you're assuming your personal experience is universal. I actually don't have anyone holding me accountable. I was killing myself, I knew that already, my doctor confirmed what I already knew, I was fucking terrified and went to AA. Nobody at AA can hold me accountable. My liver holds me accountable.

You are correct. That was a broad generalization on my part. I was speaking from personal experience and you are correct... that doesn't always apply to everyone. My mistake.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
21-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Cool.

I may have been a little dickishly persnickety about it. I think I'm still kind of hypersensitive about it.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post