AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(10-07-2016 04:28 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Up to last years, I was drinking a six-pack a night after work, and on days off that'd go to eight or ten ... sometimes a 12er.

To put context on the severity of my situation I'm consuming twice that much.

Everyone's got their own rock-bottom. What's important is that you've made the admission to yourself, and have asked for help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not an addict but I have people who are very close to me who are. I go to a few AA celebrations every year. I'll go see my wife celebrate 29 years end of the month. I have another friend who has over 30 years. Neither my friend nor my wife are religious. My wife is a professed agnostic and my friend is an atheist. They both found sobriety, and sanity, in AA.

It's there if you want it. And, while it doesn't work for everyone, it can work.

Not believing in god doesn't mean you can't be sober.

Best of luck.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
(16-03-2013 11:52 PM)Quadd_Lazer! Wrote:  Couldn't agree more, Woof. I can't stand how they make you belittle
yourself at every meeting. And the mention of cigarette smoke and coffee
made me smile... I wonder if that's universal at AA meetings

Nothing is universal at AA except the 12 steps and belief in the three in one god. I inadvertently went to a gay meeting once and have been to several no smoking meetings.
10-07-2016, 12:21 PM
(10-07-2016 10:42 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(16-03-2013 11:52 PM)Quadd_Lazer! Wrote:  Couldn't agree more, Woof. I can't stand how they make you belittle

Nothing is universal at AA except the 12 steps and belief in the three in one god. I inadvertently went to a gay meeting once and have been to several no smoking meetings.

By three in one God do you mean Holy Trinity? Because I haven't heard anything like that at the meetings I'm going to.

Anyway, I need help, and I already know other atheists have made it work. For now I'm just thinking whatever keeps me sober for a damn day.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
10-07-2016, 09:09 PM
(10-07-2016 10:42 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  

No, a higher power is anything you want it to be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-07-2016, 09:12 PM
(10-07-2016 12:21 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 10:42 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Nothing is universal at AA except the 12 steps and belief in the three in one god. I inadvertently went to a gay meeting once and have been to several no smoking meetings.

By three in one God do you mean Holy Trinity? Because I haven't heard anything like that at the meetings I'm going to.

Anyway, I need help, and I already know other atheists have made it work. For now I'm just thinking whatever keeps me sober for a damn day.

True that.

Sometimes it's keeping sober for the next hour, sometimes the next minute.
You have a good attitude - keep at it. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-07-2016, 06:05 AM
AA actually has about the same rate of recovery as does "spontaneous recovery".

About 5% of alcoholics just recover spontaneously each year with no therapy of any kind.

The recovery rate for AA is about 5% although, in fact, it is impossible to say what it is with any accuracy because AA keeps no statistics at all.

There are anecdotal reports of recovery through AA attendance and exertion of willpower but the failure rate of AA is staggeringly high and it's method isn't based on any science. There are now some useful medications being used to help with alcoholism.

Here is a site outlining the 1930's thinking behind AA: http://www.orange-papers.org/
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
23-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I wrangled with myself about this until it occurred to me that it might be just another excuse to keep drinking. What I couldn't ignore was that AA seemed to help people even though they attributed their success to what I knew was a delusion. And if they could do it, so could I.

My higher power became something in me that had been pickled by alcohol but was still functioning enough to get me into an AA meeting. It was my internal sense of the rational and the power of my convictions. I referred to this as "Goddess" since she had to be female and altered the Serenity Prayer accordingly. I was open about my atheism but I still found mostly welcome and support. My sponsor was a Wiccan who understood the trials and tribulations of holding unconventional views on religion so I had no trouble there either.

I've been to a lot of AA meetings in a lot of places over the years and found that, for some reason, women's meetings seemed less religious than others - maybe women are less inclined to give away credit for their achievements. I'd also suggest also that newcomers avoid meetings labelled "BB" or "Big Book" - these are awful and boring and too much like bible readings. The N/A meetings I've been to are way less religious than any AA meeting, so that's a good alternative if you can find one.

And it's not forever. During the first year or two it's good to go to meetings often, but after a while, not drinking becomes a habit. Getting shitfaced isn't even on my list of possible reactions to a disaster anymore.
[+] 2 users Like TheQueenOfFrogs's post
23-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Here is a link to a very good synopsis of where the medical profession is in terms of treating alcoholism with medicines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpbqCPm4Q8
24-07-2016, 01:23 AM
This is a very good description of how the drug mentioned in Leggio's video works in cocaine addiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifc3l2iManQ